Museum of Atheism

Religions are just a form of social philosophy. They also serve to fulfill people's spiritual needs. Dogmatic religions are dying because people are outgrowing them. Therefore the dogmatic religions need to adapt themselves....which many are doing.

'Religion' attempted to be the 'Science' of the Ancient World. Lots of questions ... not too many Answers.
Genesis is a Great Story. Sitting around the Campfire, looking at the stars, wondering how it all began, what is the Purpose?

A lot better then telling little Cypress were on a small mudball, hurtling through space and time, destination, ... unknown. :(

I agree I had zero religious beliefs or knowledge, but always tried to do what I perceived as right and wrong.

That is because you grew up in a society based on two thousand years of western civilization history, in which Judeo-Christian ethical tenets played a vast role.

Whether or not you are religious, you are influenced, even if only indirectly, by the religious influences which informed the development of western civilization.

History is a part of you, whether you conciuosly recognize it or not.

If you are taking about just having the strength to restrain yourself from murder, rape, and robbery, well that is barely a moral code at all. That ethical bar is so low, it barely clears the floor.

'Religion' attempted to be the 'Science' of the Ancient World. Lots of questions ... not too many Answers.
Genesis is a Great Story. Sitting around the Campfire, looking at the stars, wondering how it all began, what is the Purpose?

A lot better then telling little Cypress were on a small mudball, hurtling through space and time, destination, ... unknown. :(

Religion was the main proponent of the sciences in the ancient world. Why do you think that was?

All cultures have Origin stories. Examples:

https://learninglab.si.edu/collections/origin-stories-from-around-the-world/m45wVnFtvJM6b5xm
Creation myths, or origin stories, tell us what a culture believes about how humans came to be. They can also tell us much about what that culture values. These are often religious or spiritual explanations for human life.

Cypress, like myself, knows the Earth is orbiting the Sun which, itself, is orbiting the Milky Way galaxy.

Religion was the main proponent of the sciences in the ancient world. Why do you think that was?

All cultures have Origin stories. Examples:

https://learninglab.si.edu/collections/origin-stories-from-around-the-world/m45wVnFtvJM6b5xm
Creation myths, or origin stories, tell us what a culture believes about how humans came to be. They can also tell us much about what that culture values. These are often religious or spiritual explanations for human life.

Cypress, like myself, knows the Earth is orbiting the Sun which, itself, is orbiting the Milky Way galaxy.

:) hahahahaha ... Sure. If you think Book Burning is 'promoting science'.

That is because you grew up in a society based on two thousand years of western civilization history, in which Judeo-Christian ethical tenets played a vast role.

Whether or not you are religious, you are influenced, even if only indirectly, by the religious influences which informed the development of western civilization.

If you are taking about just having the strength to restrain yourself from murder, rape, and robbery, well that is barely a moral code at all. That ethical bar is so low, it barely clears the floor.
Exactly. We are products of our upbringing.

Most of us on JPP are over 60 and were raised in an English-based Christian society. Most Russians our age were raised in the Soviet Union. Even though an American may be an atheist or a Russian a devout Catholic, their upbringing remains part of them.

You know that because of this guy, NOT 'Religion'.

"Galileo was once again called before the Inquisition and this time was found guilty of heresy. Galileo was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1633. Because of his age and poor health, he was allowed to serve his imprisonment under house arrest. Galileo died on January 8, 1642.
Date of death: January 8, 1642
Born: February 15, 1564, Pisa
Professions: physicist, astronomer

Galileo Galilei - StarChild - NASA"

I'm speaking of as a much smaller child then that.

Your parents had to teach you everything that was right or wrong,you didn't figure any of it out yourself?

No.

Society teaches us basics of right and wrong such as "Don't throw things at people". Does that mean my parents or society had to go around telling me not to throw a book, lamp or plate? No. Just the general principle to not hurt others.

Are you claiming a baby raised by Nanny robots and taught to read using a 5th grade science textbook would know it's wrong to murder another person?

Exactly. We are products of our upbringing.

Most of us on JPP are over 60 and were raised in an English-based Christian society. Most Russians our age were raised in the Soviet Union. Even though an American may be an atheist or a Russian a devout Catholic, their upbringing remains part of them.

Not to mention how pervasive New Testament values are embedded in the broader culture. I watch children's programming, cartoons and movies, with my grandson, which obliquely project a message of compassion, humility, charity, and/or universal love.

It is all around us, and we are generally unaware of it.

Charity and mercy were not religious values or expectations of the pagan Greco-Romans. It was not a moral expectation or tenet. Anyone who is aware of the Melian debate from Thucydides knows that the Greeks felt might makes right, and charity or mercy was not really a religious tenet.

(not to say Christians practice what they preach, but at least it is understood as a moral expectation)

Last edited:
Not to mention how pervasive New Testament values are embedded in the broader culture. I watch cartoons and movies with my grandson, which obliquely project a message of compassion, humility, charity, and/or universal love.

Charity and mercy were not religious values or expectations of the pagan Greco-Romans. It was not a moral expectation or tenet. Anyone who is aware of the Median debate from Thucydides knows that the Greeks felt might makes right, and charity was not really a religious tenet.

You never did something wrong as a small child and naturally felt guilty? No one had to teach you it was wrong,you knew within yourself it was wrong.

Not to mention how pervasive New Testament values are embedded in the broader culture. I watch cartoons and movies with my grandson, which obliquely project a message of compassion, humility, charity, and/or universal love.

Charity and mercy were not religious values or expectations of the pagan Greco-Romans. It was not a moral expectation or tenet. Anyone who is aware of the Melian debate from Thucydides knows that the Greeks felt might makes right, and charity or mercy was not really a religious tenet.

(not to say Christians practice what they preach, but at least it is understood as a moral expectation)

The new testament doesn't teach morality, it teaches saved by Grace.
That we are all sinners .

You know that because of this guy, NOT 'Religion'.

"Galileo was once again called before the Inquisition and this time was found guilty of heresy. Galileo was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1633. Because of his age and poor health, he was allowed to serve his imprisonment under house arrest. Galileo died on January 8, 1642.
Date of death: January 8, 1642
Born: February 15, 1564, Pisa
Professions: physicist, astronomer

Galileo Galilei - StarChild - NASA"

Sure, I know about Galileo. What does that have to do with ancient religion and science?

Do you know what Stonehenge is and who used it? Who built it?

Stonehenge-c-3100-Wiltshire-Eng-Salisbury-c-1550-bce.jpg

The new testament doesn't teach morality, it teaches saved by Grace.
That we are all sinners .

Love thy neighbor isn't teaching morality? Besides, you said you didn't believe in the Catholic Manual for Religious Domination. LOL

You attempt to mix 'Morality' with 'Religion'. You attempt to mix Philosophers of the Past with 'Religion'. You seem unable (or more likely, deliberately) to separate any morality from some kind of 'religion'. This is your attempt to justify your religious beliefs as the bedrock reason for 'morality'.

Okay, so after ten thousand posts, you still find yourself
incapable of plausibly identify the basic source and origin of the system of moral awareness you grew up with.

Dodging and tap dancing around the question is pretty revealing.

Back