Museum of Atheism

:) That's about what it comes down to.

I said about twenty thousand posts ago, and repeatedly since then, that all major world religions have played a profound historical role as institutions which develop and transmit comprehensive systems of moral thought.

2,500 years of history which has informed the cultural and ethical development of the world is not easily dismissed.

At no point did I elevate Jesus to a privileged position.

On the contrary, I explicitly said if you grew up in East Asia, your system of moral awareness likely came in some measure from, either directly or via osmosis, Buddhism, Jainism, or Neo-confucianism.

I had no idea simple historical facts would raise such resentment.

I figured you'd refuse to answer the bipolar question. Jack, your "proof" about Galileo and the Catholics in 1642 AD negates over 1,600 years of religious history after the Crucifixion.

Why do you think your Galileo and the Catholics is definitive proof of everything you believe?

:) Cypress has an opinion he expresses. You. You just utter jibberish.

Cypress over thinks everything,but has no beliefs ,classic can't see the forest for the trees.

He is awesome

Thinking is good

Compassion is good

He believes wonderful things because he is full of compassion

Your are under thinking things when you trash what other compassionate beings believe

Natural law is a thoroughly Christian philosophy which borrows heavily from neo-Platonism.

The idea is that humans are spiritual animals, imbued with souls that are able to comprehend a lucid moral clarity if it is cultivated through reflection and piety.

Natural law was classic Christian theological school of thought held by christian scholars in the high Middle Ages.

I am surprised anyone unwittingly leaped to the conclusion that invoking natural law would somehow undermine Christianity - since it was christians themselves who invented natural law!

Christianity in the big picture is a relatively new thing.

Cypress over thinks everything,but has no beliefs ,classic can't see the forest for the trees.

Disagree. Cypress has been brainwashed as a child. Jesus, Christianity, the New Testament, all are the Salvation of Mankind. (I'm wondering if Cypress was a Sunday School teacher at one time?)

Define Christian values?Outside of Jesus the entire Christian religion organized or not is made up of sinners and fuck ups.

First, "sinner" is an assessment based solely on the Bible. Is eating pork a sin? No...unless you accept the Bible as the word of God then it is a sin. Same for coveting thy neighbor's wife much less bending her over one's work bench when her hubby is at work.

Second, agreed up fuck ups. We all fuck up as we learn. Some people never learn. When plotted on a graph, the ratio of fuck ups and the competent looks like this:

5xurtt.jpg

I said about twenty thousand posts ago, and repeatedly since then, that all major world religions have played a profound historical role as institutions which develop and transmit comprehensive systems of moral thought.

2,500 years of history which has informed the cultural and ethical development of the world is not easily dismissed.

On the contrary, I explicitly said if you grew up in East Asia, your system of moral awareness likely came in some measure from, either directly or via osmosis, Buddhism, Jainism, or Neo-confucianism.

Yes. 'all major world religions have played a profound historical role as institutions'. Can't argue with that.

"Thirty Years' War
The Thirty Years' War was a conflict fought largely within the Holy Roman Empire from 1618 to 1648. Considered one of the most destructive wars in European history, estimates of total deaths caused by the conflict range from 4.5 to 8 million, while some areas of Germany experienced population declines of over 50%. Wikipedia"

:) Cypress has an opinion he expresses. You. You just utter jibberish.

Yet you always pay attention to me, Jack. Why is that?

The fact remains your example of Galileo proves nothing except that the Italian Catholic hierarchy was conservative and Galileo was progressive.

The Catholics later exonerated Galileo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei#Later_Church_reassessments
The Galileo affair was largely forgotten after Galileo's death, and the controversy subsided. The Inquisition's ban on reprinting Galileo's works was lifted in 1718 when permission was granted to publish an edition of his works (excluding the condemned Dialogue) in Florence. In 1741, Pope Benedict XIV authorised the publication of an edition of Galileo's complete scientific works which included a mildly censored version of the Dialogue. In 1758, the general prohibition against works advocating heliocentrism was removed from the Index of prohibited books, although the specific ban on uncensored versions of the Dialogue and Copernicus's De Revolutionibus remained. All traces of official opposition to heliocentrism by the church disappeared in 1835 when these works were finally dropped from the Index.

But what do YOU believe?

Incorrect.

The Soviet atheist museums were little more than state-sponsored propoganda.

Caricatures at best.

A museum of atheism could be an interesting project, if you approached it with intellectual integrity.

The Charvaka school of thought from India, Sigmund Freud, Karl Marx, and Nietzsche would all be worth consideration for that type of Museum.
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...-first-atheists-600-BCE&p=4605033#post4605033

So they made it about something other than atheism because atheism on its on ain't got nothin'.

Agreed.

Jack and Mason both see the world "differently" than you or I...or most people on this thread. Any ideas on why that may be? ;)

Back