My electric bill

They have that authority but they don't cancel flights without a good reason, the airlines do.

The FAA will usually ground an entire type of aircraft from flying but they don't cancel individual flights.

Lurch doesn't understand that the FAA has no authority to ground an airline due to temperatures nor to ground any pilot due to temperatures.
He also doesn't understand that the FAA doesn't 'provide clearance' to fly.

LurchAddams said:
Oh, my gosh! Do you really believe that? That's so wrong! The higher the outside temp is over your thermostat setting the harder your a/c has to work to maintain your temperature setting.

Apparently you do not understand anything about refrigeration (or HVAC).

As long as the temperature in the house is above the setpoint of the thermostat, the air conditioner stays running. It doesn't work any harder if it's ten or twenty degrees outside. It's the same system, with the same motors, pumping the same refrigerant through the same plumbing. It consumes exactly the same power per hour regardless of the outside temperature.

They can but they don't unless they have evidence of a direct threat.

They can cancel anything in the air they want outside of military aircraft or Air Force 1

No, they cannot cancel an individual flight. They can prevent airlines from using certain equipment if a defect is found (until the defect is fixed) (airlines just switch to different equipment). They can prevent flights from departing due to national emergencies, but that's ALL flights. The can prevent an airport from operating if there is some defect at the airport (until the defect is fixed, high temperatures are not a 'defect'). They can even shut down ATC (airlines and other flights just fly without it).

They can take action against a pilot that is violating the law, including suspending or revoking his license, but airlines would just use another pilot. They can fine an airport (but not shut it down) that is fraudulently using FAA funds. This unfortunately happens fairly often.

But they cannot cancel an individual flight.

No, they cannot cancel an individual flight. They can prevent airlines from using certain equipment if a defect is found (until the defect is fixed) (airlines just switch to different equipment). They can prevent flights from departing due to national emergencies, but that's ALL flights. The can prevent an airport from operating if there is some defect at the airport (until the defect is fixed, high temperatures are not a 'defect'). They can even shut down ATC (airlines and other flights just fly without it).

They can take action against a pilot that is violating the law, including suspending or revoking his license, but airlines would just use another pilot. They can fine an airport (but not shut it down) that is fraudulently using FAA funds. This unfortunately happens fairly often.

But they cannot cancel an individual flight.

Good to know.

Dammit! I almost forgot about her. Poor Sarah - she was such a hot commodity for so long and then crashed and burned so quickly. She's emblematic of the ignorance and intellectual laziness infecting the GOP.
This laid the foundation for trump's ploy to appeal to morons.

Apparently you do not understand anything about refrigeration (or HVAC).

As long as the temperature in the house is above the setpoint of the thermostat, the air conditioner stays running. It doesn't work any harder if it's ten or twenty degrees outside. It's the same system, with the same motors, pumping the same refrigerant through the same plumbing. It consumes exactly the same power per hour regardless of the outside temperature.

It stays on longer if the AC has to go from 90 to 70 then from 80 to 70

Basically this thread is about, I don't care if Trump is a Fascist dictator ,as long as my electric bill is lower!

It stays on longer if the AC has to go from 90 to 70 then from 80 to 70
I have this idiot on ignore. The sheer stupidity of his argument boggles the mind. It's the same as claiming that the furnace doesn't run any longer if it's 40 degrees out, vs. 60.

No, idiot. It doesn't work 'harder'. It works 'longer'.

Back