Should a new rule be proposed banning the use of racial slurs?

Should a new rule be proposed banning the use of racial slurs?

• Total voters
There are rules against giving out personal information and having too many socks.

Legion has broken both rules and is still here and now he is whining about racist words.

Legion's mom must have bought him a new computer.

A thousand times, I'd say yes. Take away that, and the Stormfronters have little left for their racist rants. They'd have to get creative, and I just don't see them reaching those levels. It's not my place though, but I see them being just as bad as what falls under 12b.

An internet forum is private property which is not obliged to provide first amendment protections to anyone. Period.

On my private property I would never allow racist pigs and misogynist swine to roam and speak at will.

Others – particularly Republicans – are much more comfortable and amenable to allowing that.

Since this is not my private property, part of me sees the utility in allowing unrestricted Republican racism to run amuck. For my purposes, it serves as a clear, unequivocal, and irrefutable demonstration that the GOP is chock full of racist swine. And until recently, you would not believe how many rightwing message boarders would howl in protest whenever I made that indisputable observation.

That said, I generally do not vote in dumb ass message board polls.

An internet forum is private property which is not obliged to provide first amendment protections to anyone. Period.
The board owners probably don't want to be net nannies catering to crybabies who demand another adult remove little words in a box off their computer screen.

Don't blame them. Those are a dime a dozen.

The board owners probably don't want to be net nannies catering to crybabies who demand another adult remove little words in a box off their computer screen.

I'll let Damocles be the judge of that.

He's already made rules about "little words in a box off their computer screen", so there's that.

This is a fine line for a forum that is known for the having the most freedom of speech. Racial slurs and racism are not very welcome from either side of the aisle, but they are in fact relevant to politics.

How is calling someone the n-word relevant to politics?

Very relevant, good point. That being said, it is possible to be racist -- or to discuss racism -- without the constant use of the n-word that some here seem incapable of posting without. Some of the most racist ppl here manage to let their white sheets show w/o using direct slurs. Check out the winner here.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...o-is-the-biggest-bigot-of-JPP&highlight=bigot

I don't know how anyone can be against using the n-word here. It adds nothing.

The freedom of speech here distinguishes this board from a million other control freak sites on the web.

Requesting another adult remove words from a widdle box on my screen is unnecessary and quite ridiculous.

How is this forum improved by throwing around the n-word?

Criminal accusations versus 'words i don't wike to wead'. Apples and jack hammers.

OK, I respect your opinion. That's the reason I posted a poll.

It may not happen even if the majority votes in favor.

This isn't a democracy; it's a DAMOcracy.

On my private property I would never allow racist pigs and misogynist swine to roam and speak at will.

Others – particularly Republicans – are much more comfortable and amenable to allowing that.

Since this is not my private property, part of me sees the utility in allowing unrestricted Republican racism to run amuck. For my purposes, it serves as a clear, unequivocal, and irrefutable demonstration that the GOP is chock full of racist swine. And until recently, you would not believe how many rightwing message boarders would howl in protest whenever I made that indisputable observation.

That said, I generally do not vote in dumb ass message board polls.

But surprisingly, it also allows unrestricted Democrat racism to run amuck.

I wonder why that is?

He never struck me as the net-nanny-cater-to-crybabies type.

I didn't say he was.

Did you know that you already can't use some words on this site, and that the determination of those words is presently highly subjective?

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?2-Rules-of-the-Board!

Please note these existing rules:

12(b) - No sexual comments relating to minors. With the exception of news articles or a mature discussion involving stats, how it effects people etc, We DO NOT want ANY mention in ANY context about suggesting encounters with another poster and a child, or with yourself and another poster's child, nor any mention of kids being sexually assaulted, sexually molested, raped, having people being called pedophiles, suggesting posters may have been molested as a kid, having vague references to any of the former, having a "clever" play on words with a wink and a nod that might suggest any of the former, any slight references, WE WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF IT. Do not try to approach the line to test us to see what one can get away with, if you approach the line, chances are you will not receive the benefit of the doubt.

12(c) - Language that is sexually violent (e.g. rape/incest/graphic sex details that simply go 'too far') and/or is used in a manner to harass other users may be removed at moderator discretion without notice or apology, and could end up resulting in a ban if we get tired of repeatedly having to edit posts made by the same individuals over and over.

15. No posting racial slurs of any kind in thread titles, it will result in the title being changed and may result in a ban for repeat offenders.

What I am suggesting is a specific list of racial slurs to be defined by a vote of the JPP membership. Nothing nebulous or open to interpretation.

It's up to Damocles, ultimately.

Back