Socrates and Jesus

There is no serious scholar of religious studies who would agree that Jesus of Nazareth never existed. The balance of scholarly evidence is there was a Jewish philosopher by that name.
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...7Historical-Certainties&p=3207445#post3207445

The authors of the Gospels were highly educated Greek speakers, suggesting they were Hellenic Jews or Hellenistic gentiles - rendering us unsurprised that elements of Greek thought crops up in the NT. The premise of the immortal soul goes back to Socrates and Plato.

Hanukkah The eight-day Jewish celebration known as Hanukkah or Chanukah commemorates the rededication during the second century C.E. of the Second Temple in Jerusalem, where according to legend Jews had risen up against their Greek-Syrian oppressors in the Maccabean Revolt and the defeat of the Hellenization creeping within the Jewish community

Cute how you suddenly believe in scholarly consensus.

If only you would hold right-wing science denialism to this level of scrutiny!
I have always placed weight on scholarly consensus.

I have been on this board since 2006 and have written hundreds of posts haranguing and excoriating rightwing science deniers on evolution, climate science, cosmology, earth science.

Cypress has chosen not to engage in the conversation, but I will point out the error in saying Luke said the Kingdom of God is "within you" as if it only existed within the soul......the KJV translated it thus.....

however general consensus among versions more accurately translated show it as....
20 Once, on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come,o Jesus replied, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, 21 nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’p because the kingdom of God is in your midst.”c
and consider it a declaration by Jesus that he is in fact the fulfillment of the Kingdom of God and was at that very moment in their presence....

https://www.gotquestions.org/kingdom-of-God-within-you.html

given that Jesus was talking to the Pharisees who he was correcting as being disobedient to God's will, it is unlikely that he was telling them God's Kingdom was in their souls......

Cypress has chosen not to engage in the conversation, but I will point out the error in saying Luke said the Kingdom of God is "within you" as if it only existed within the soul......the KJV translated it thus.....

however general consensus among versions more accurately translated show it as....

and consider it a declaration by Jesus that he is in fact the fulfillment of the Kingdom of God and was at that very moment in their presence....

https://www.gotquestions.org/kingdom-of-God-within-you.html

given that Jesus was talking to the Pharisees who he was correcting as being disobedient to God's will, it is unlikely that he was telling them God's Kingdom was in their souls......

I said I would not engage you further on word games, aka the definition of the word publication.

I transcribed Professor Fears words, and have no vested interest if he was correct in saying Jesus referred to a kingdom of God within the individual.

^^ Purports to be a devout Christian.

and one who is intelligent enough to laugh at your idiotic posts......if you don't want to engage, don't engage.....because if you do, I will just have to keep bitch-slapping you.....and you can take that and publish it.....

Hanukkah The eight-day Jewish celebration known as Hanukkah or Chanukah commemorates the rededication during the second century C.E. of the Second Temple in Jerusalem, where according to legend Jews had risen up against their Greek-Syrian oppressors in the Maccabean Revolt and the defeat of the Hellenization creeping within the Jewish community

Good info. I never quite understood the significance of Hannuka

I have always placed weight on scholarly consensus.

I have been on this board since 2006 and have written hundreds of posts haranguing and excoriating rightwing science deniers on evolution, climate science, cosmology, earth science.

Why are you changing my font and adding punctuation?

Why are you changing my font and adding punctuation?

To emphasize what I was responding to.

Why did you intentionally misrepresent me by falsely claiming I do not honor scholarly consensus when I respond to rightwingers?

And it looks like you ignored and dodged my response. My record here since 2006 of excoriating rightwingers on scientific topics and scholarly consensus is firmly established.

and one who is intelligent enough to laugh at your idiotic posts......
You will be hard pressed to find any reasonable and fair minded poster here who agrees that my contributions and writing on this forum are "idiotic".

if you don't want to engage, don't engage.....because if you do, I will just have to keep bitch-slapping you.....and you can take that and publish it.....
I do not have to agree with everything Professor Fears wrote, especially the fine theological details. It is a waste of time to argue just for arguments sake.

The compelling story here are the parallels between two of the most important figures is the history of western civilization: Socrates and Jesus were philosopher-teachers who taught a radical form of individual liberation founded on ethics and the contemplative life; they both were falsely accused and executed by enemies on trumped up charges of blasphemy and treason; and their legacies only come down to us because of the tireless efforts and dedication of two of their acolytes.

Socrates and Jesus were philosopher-teachers who taught a radical form of individual liberation founded on ethics and the contemplative life

amazing.....that is the very thing the Pharisees taught and Jesus came to condemn.....liberation from sin is not based on the individuals actions or ethics....it is based solely on his sacrifice on our behalf......how could you have gotten what he said, so wrong.....

Back