Suspended for not standing for pledge!

OK, so just do whatever "they" tell me? Will do.

And this is a pretty black and white issue. I don't see the gray at all. Students have first amendment rights. Students should obey their teachers for classroom discipline purposes. To accommodate both parties, the students, out of respect for their first amendment rights, should not be ordered to participate in any way but at the same time cannot be disruptive to the learning environment. Sitting quietly accommodates everyone quite nicely.
When "they" is the group you are showing respect to, yes.

If I went to a nation where I was expected to act a certain way when a song was played because it was polite to do so. I would. Because it doesn't hurt me to be polite, nor make me believe in their magic-man.

Sure they do. If the parent and student are offended by this, they can be homeschooled or they can change schools.

Sure, fuck the first amendment, if you don't like it get home-schooled. Good one.

This is why I can't stand "conservatives." Fucking blind adherence to authority and defense of the state when it is most pernicious.

Nope...........

LMAO... you post on "Damo has more friends than you" was not only childish but also irrelevant to the topic being discussed. Given that it was so childish, the question of how much have you been drinking came up. It has nothing to do with liberal or conservative ideologies. It has to do with childish behavior.

It was a slap shot at soco...in quite a few threads in the past he kept calling for everyone to put me on IA since I did not have any friends...I just played on damos new friends toy...thats all dimwit!

and by the way sf you do not come across as being all so grown up...ya do have a history of throwing tantrums then apologizing after you get rejected for same!

1) They dont require you to stand.

2) Exactly, its only for those who belive.
Other churches ask people to "rise" for prayer. It would be rude to just sit there. Nobody would do anything to you, unless you had my mother, but that doesn't change that it would be rude.

Nope, when I got my licence I was told to keep it I had to abide by all the rules of the court. I like my licence and I like to make a living from it. So I stand. But as Jarod points out most of the time it is done primarily to bring the court room to quick and quiet order. You may want to compare forced conformity of our children to the decorum of a court room, but they are not the same. Not only that but when kids don't rise in a court room they say NOTHING to them.

Actually I think they are quite similar. In a court, you follow the rules of the court as they are established by the judge/system. The same holds true for the classroom... you follow the rules set forth by the teacher/system.

Your standing for the judges entry does not mean you support the judge and his/her opinions, it means you are showing respect for the way the system is currently set up. It doesn't mean you have to like the fact that you are standing, nor does it mean you cannot work to change the rules. But if you refuse to follow the rules prior to their being changed, then you are subject to the consequences.

When "they" is the group you are showing respect to, yes.

If I went to a nation where I was expected to act a certain way when a song was played because it was polite to do so. I would. Because it doesn't hurt me to be polite, nor make me believe in their magic-man.

Because you lack any core beliefs. If you have no core beliefs they can't be offended.

Other churches ask people to "rise" for prayer. It would be rude to just sit there. Nobody would do anything to you, unless you had my mother, but that doesn't change that it would be rude.

To me, the difference is, persumably, you are in that church by your own choice.

And you don't HAVE to attend church. If they want to have a pledge they should have everyone that wants to talk to the flag meet in front of the school and talk to the big flag out on the big pole. Hell it probably has bigger ears to hear your talking with. Then ONLY the kids that want to talk to the flag will be there and all those rude little leftist non-patriots can stay away.

Sure, fuck the first amendment, if you don't like it get home-schooled. Good one.

This is why I can't stand "conservatives." Fucking blind adherence to authority and defense of the state when it is most pernicious.

No dumbshit... if you don't like the rule, you can work to change it. You can exercise your right to free speech by standing silently just as easily as you can by sitting silently.

You continue to refuse to address how standing is any different than sitting. Either way you are refusing to say the pledge. The standing/sitting decision has nothing to do with whether you say the pledge. It has everything to do with disobediance in a classroom and in my opinion is also disrespectful.

And you don't HAVE to attend church. If they want to have a pledge they should have everyone that wants to talk to the flag meet in front of the school and talk to the big flag out on the big pole. Hell it probably has bigger ears to hear your talking with. Then ONLY the kids that want to talk to the flag will be there and all those rude little leftist non-patriots can stay away.
That would work for me as well.

Again, I just don't think it is that big of a deal to ask the kid to show a modicum of politeness. I am not here promoting this for ever school and wanting to enforce it on the entire nation as how we should conduct every school. I believe that this is false outrage. The kid was not "forced" to show respect to the nation, to talk to the flag, to say the magic-man's name, or even to mention the name of the nation.

No dumbshit... if you don't like the rule, you can work to change it. You can exercise your right to free speech by standing silently just as easily as you can by sitting silently.

You continue to refuse to address how standing is any different than sitting. Either way you are refusing to say the pledge. The standing/sitting decision has nothing to do with whether you say the pledge. It has everything to do with disobediance in a classroom and in my opinion is also disrespectful.

As I mentioned previously, the issue is well-settled. Students have the right to sit on their asses during the pledge of allegiance. This particular school district appears to be stuck in the 40s or something. The rule violates the constitution. The teacher infringed on the student's constitutional rights, your opinion notwithstanding.

To me, the difference is, persumably, you are in that church by your own choice.

Tell me though, say you are attending a wedding in a religious facility that is not your own... do you follow along with the standing/sitting patterns or do you simply sit through the process?

If you choose to simply sit... how do you suppose those around you of that particular faith feel? Can you honestly not see how that is showing contempt for their beliefs and is thus a sign of disrespect?

Suspending kids for failing to stand for a red white and blue battle standard that was later adopted as our national flag is STUPID. The US would be far better off if we had the same attitude toward our flag as other nations did. You go to a World Cup Soccer game and you will see thousands of flags of all sizes being waved, touching the ground, getting wet with *gasp* beer! Later those flags are taken home and washed and used again later. No magic or quasi-religious patriotic feeling behind any of them

Suspending kids for failing to stand for a red white and blue battle standard that was later adopted as our national flag is STUPID. The US would be far better off if we had the same attitude toward our flag as other nations did. You go to a World Cup Soccer game and you will see thousands of flags of all sizes being waved, touching the ground, getting wet with *gasp* beer! Later those flags are taken home and washed and used again later. No magic or quasi-religious patriotic feeling behind any of them

Holding a person in contempt of court for not standing when ordered to do so is equally stupid by your standards... yet you do so.

I am still waiting for someone to provide an explanation as to why sitting and not saying the pledge is any different than standing and not saying the pledge. In both instances you are refusing to say the pledge.

I do think it is a silly request by the teacher, but unless the parents take action to change the requests of the teacher.... then the child should adhere to the request.

That would work for me as well.

Again, I just don't think it is that big of a deal to ask the kid to show a modicum of politeness. I am not here promoting this for ever school and wanting to enforce it on the entire nation as how we should conduct every school. I believe that this is false outrage. The kid was not "forced" to show respect to the nation, to talk to the flag, to say the magic-man's name, or even to mention the name of the nation.

I am not outraged. I merely think its wrong.

Well, at least you were not compelled by the government to be there... to me that makes a difference.
It makes no difference to me when promoting politeness.

It just isn't as big of a deal as y'all make of it. Nor the other side for that matter. I don't think the kid's mom is terrible for her objection either. I think we maintain waaay too much emotion for such a silly thing.

Tell me though, say you are attending a wedding in a religious facility that is not your own... do you follow along with the standing/sitting patterns or do you simply sit through the process?

If you choose to simply sit... how do you suppose those around you of that particular faith feel? Can you honestly not see how that is showing contempt for their beliefs and is thus a sign of disrespect?

Yes, If I choose to go.

I know some who will not attend a wedding or funeral if its conducted in a church.

Back