Suspended for not standing for pledge!

right and a teacher has the power to suspend you. I rest my case :)

Were I these kids, I would have stood. I would have still thought it was wrong however. And if these kids choose to fight this fight, I support them!

It makes no difference to me when promoting politeness.

It just isn't as big of a deal as y'all make of it. Nor the other side for that matter. I don't think the kid's mom is terrible for her objection either. I think we maintain waaay too much emotion for such a silly thing.

I have no emotion about this issue, but it is an interesting topic. In my opinion the kids should not be required to stand.

I am not outraged by it. To me it is an interesting political discussion topic, not something I am outraged about.

It makes no difference to me when promoting politeness.

It just isn't as big of a deal as y'all make of it. Nor the other side for that matter. I don't think the kid's mom is terrible for her objection either. I think we maintain waaay too much emotion for such a silly thing.

Totally. It's only, like, first amendment rights and stuff. Get over it.

Were I these kids, I would have stood. I would have still thought it was wrong however. And if these kids choose to fight this fight, I support them!

exactly... they have the right to fight this fight.... but until their fight is "won", they have to accept the responsibility of their actions.

I have no emotion about this issue, but it is an interesting topic. In my opinion the kids should not be required to stand.

I am not outraged by it. To me it is an interesting political discussion topic, not something I am outraged about.
Except you were. You clearly were angry that these kids had to stand up while other kids talked about the magic man.

1) Standing is NOT pledging allegiance to the flag.

2) No, requiring someone to recite any pledge to anything/anyone is against freedom of speech. Asking them to stand is not.

Moron.

Hitler would love your complacency. Good citizen! Good comrade! Tommorrow we kill arabs and Mexicans!

Totally. It's only, like, first amendment rights and stuff. Get over it.
Only if you look at it through a paper towel tube and refuse to look at any larger picture. It's an apple, because you won't move to see that it is a tree.

If they forced the kid to say the pledge, if they made him mention the magic-man, if they enforced some sort of mandatory patriotism that isn't present here then I'd agree. I, for one, can see many reasons besides the pledge or magic-man that they should stand up. You don't want to so you act like a petulant child with his hands over his ears and his eyes closed shouting, "I can't hear you!" All so you can pretend it is about this one little apple.

It's only a small infringement on our freedom. Not a very big one. How dare you have no respect for authority requiring you to go against your religion? This nation was founded on two principles: respect for your rulers, and Christianity.

This fight was already fought and won decades ago. The courts long ago determined that students at public schools do not have to stand during the pledge of allegiance and that there is indeed a difference between standing and remaining silent and not standing at all.

As for Watermark, maybe he has good reason to get all emo about it considering a student was paddled in Mississippi not too long ago for refusing to go along with the pledge charade.

. . . nevermind, Watermark is being an ass. The kid got paddled in Alabama, not Mississippi. I regret the error.

Last edited:
This fight was already fought and won decades ago. The courts long ago determined that students at public schools do not have to stand during the pledge of allegiance and that there is indeed a difference between standing and remaining silent and not standing at all.

As for Watermark, maybe he has good reason to get all emo about it considering a student was paddled in Mississippi not too long ago for refusing to go along with the pledge charade.
Was it him? :D

Except you were. You clearly were angry that these kids had to stand up while other kids talked about the magic man.

I was? I think you are mistaken. I am not angury about this, I do think its wrong and that its not proper for the government to do this... However, I think its a small indiscretion. Much worse actions are taken by the government every day.

It's only a small infringement on our freedom. Not a very big one. How dare you have no respect for authority requiring you to go against your religion? This nation was founded on two principles: respect for your rulers, and Christianity.

Except no one was requiring you to do anything but stand. Standing does not force you into another religion. Standing does not force you to state the pledge. Standing does not force you to agree with anything being said by others. Having you stand only requires that you.... STAND.

So why then is it Ok for JW's to NOT stand for the Pledge because of religious reasons but it is NOT ok for other kids to NOT stand for some non-religious philosophical opposistion to standing for a cloth on a stick? Why is it that when it is for MAGIC reasons it's ok not to stand but when it is just for non-religious non magic reasons it is impolite?

It is really quite simple. The modern leftist does not believe in showing respect for things they do not believe in. (Meanwhile they demand respect from others and get all hyper cry baby when it is not shown.)

The first Amendment does allow people to show disrespect as part of free speech. Suspending the student for not standing for the pledge - whether the purpose was to demand the student show reasonable respect for the rest of the class or for other purposes - was wrong. In other cases where standing or sitting is part of classroom discipline, the teacher would have the right to demand the proper position from all students.

That does not make the actions of the student refusing to show reasonable respect for others right. I agree that sitting when all others are standing - whether reciting the pledge or silent - shows a childish and petulant attitude toward others. But then from what I have seen the last several years modern leftists don't believe in that "fascist" shit of common decency toward the beliefs and opinions of others. Since the left is "always correct", showing respect for other opinions is beneath their dignity.

Except no one was requiring you to do anything but stand. Standing does not force you into another religion. Standing does not force you to state the pledge. Standing does not force you to agree with anything being said by others. Having you stand only requires that you.... STAND.

And sitting is expressive conduct protected by the First Amendment. Requiring student to say the pledge is what is called compelled speech. Preventing a student from expressing whatever it is he or she is expressing by sitting during the pledge is infringing on the student's right to affirmative expression. Both violate the first amendment.

Back