Suspended for not standing for pledge!

Nope. Just as I wouldn't pray when you were praying. I would simply stand and show respect to you and your beliefs. (if praying was your wont...)

Teaching kids a bit of manners does not limit their ability to think, nor does it force them into a false "patriotism".

This isn't about manners, it's about the flag.

Kids can't be mannerable unless they stand for the flag?

That's ridiculous.

My point to the question is that many people believed that not reciting the Pledge was disrespectful, then wiser heads stepped in and determined there is no disrespect when one chooses to remain quiet .. which is absolutely no diifferent when one chooses to quietly remain seated .. THUS remaining RESPECTFUL of others and thinking for themselves.

If you think you are teaching kids manners by forcing them to stand for the flag .. I seriously disagree. The reason I know this all too well is because we've had this discussion with our own kids who are mannerable, respectful, good students who also don't stand for or recite the Pledge .. and who are not alone.

This isn't about manners, it's about the flag.

Kids can't be mannerable unless they stand for the flag?

That's ridiculous.

My point to the question is that many people believed that not reciting the Pledge was disrespectful, then wiser heads stepped in and determined there is no disrespect when one chooses to remain quiet .. which is absolutely no diifferent when one chooses to quietly remain seated .. THUS remaining RESPECTFUL of others and thinking for themselves.

If you think you are teaching kids manners by forcing them to stand for the flag .. I seriously disagree. The reason I know this all too well is because we've had this discussion with our own kids who are mannerable, respectful, good students who also don't stand for or recite the Pledge .. and who are not alone.
And so we now find that our disagreement is less than you thought. Which was what I suspected to begin with.

IMO, it is simply manners to stand to show respect to others who are standing to show respect for something they believe in.

Some are standing for the flag, the rest would stand to show respect to them.

As I said long ago, in this very thread. I doubt that, if I was a teacher, I would use my authority here. Personally I would probably start a conversation on manners instead.

depends on your society, Luckially many of us have gone beyond blind patriotism. Enough so that even our laws and courts do not require it too much anymore.
But it is not gone and in some ways has grown for political purposes.
Heck I never even bought a flag or ribbon magnet.

Our laws and courts are recognizing the fallacy of the Pledge and requiring people to do anything about it .. just as they are about displaying the flag.

My problem with both .. and crap like wearing a flag pin is that they are demonstrations of feigned patriotism and doesn't mean shit.

Here in the south, most flag-wavers have a confederate flag right next to their American flag.

go figure

And so we now find that our disagreement is less than you thought. Which was what I suspected to begin with.

IMO, it is simply manners to stand to show respect to others who are standing to show respect for something they believe in.

Some are standing for the flag, the rest would stand to show respect to them.

As I said long ago, in this very thread. I doubt that, if I was a teacher, I would use my authority here. Personally I would probably start a conversation on manners instead.

Agreed .. but I'd find respect in all of them as long as they were quiet.

If I were the teacher, I'd start a conversation on what is patriotism.

You might not last long in your job. We have not progressed that far yet.

That's why our electorate is dumb as bricks and our students lag behind the world.

We'd rather feed them bullshit than a nutricious meal.

We play them for stupid.

Patriotism is paying taxes .. and caring about your fellow countrymen.

That's why our electorate is dumb as bricks and our students lag behind the world.

We play them for stupid.

Long ago, and in a land far far away we stopped teaching individuals and started teaching to the lowest common denominator. We then mainstreamed until the lowest common denominator could not, or would not, learn then expected that level of competence from the rest.

Sorry if my disappointment in our education system shows through a bit.

We play them for stupid.

yep.

But we do have to get along in the world as it currently is and will be for the near future. We do need to keep on trying to improve it. Problem is we all have different ideas on what improvement means.

Ahhhh...more wonderful insight from Mr...."Black Panther" did y'all order Patricia Hearst to stay in her box until she conformed to your radical philosopy?

Can't stop laughing, brought tears to my eyes ..

God you are ignorant.

Thanks for the joy, :)

can't stop ...

Long ago, and in a land far far away we stopped teaching individuals and started teaching to the lowest common denominator. We then mainstreamed until the lowest common denominator could not, or would not, learn then expected that level of competence from the rest.

... and then many of those people became the teachers of today, frustrating the good teachers to the point where several have sought other careers.

yep.

But we do have to get along in the world as it currently is and will be for the near future. We do need to keep on trying to improve it. Problem is we all have different ideas on what improvement means.

We get better when we get smarter my brother.

Feigned patriotism doesn't make us smarter .. it just leads to shit like Iraq.

America is about to be seriously tested on whether improvement lies on the left or the right.

I share that disappointment but for very different reasons.

I see.............

Can't stop laughing, brought tears to my eyes ..

God you are ignorant.

Thanks for the joy, :)

can't stop ...

You find humor in keeping female white debutaunts in boxes worshiping your bros' studdliness...and converting them to be your sex slaves...and political hacks!!!!!!!!!!:readit:

hypothetically damo what do you do if you DONT respect those that are saying the pledge?
You show off your self-control and display manners. We saluted the Russian officers when they came over, that didn't mean I had respect for them personally.

As long as God is in the pledge, I personally belive they should not be required to stand. If you do not believe in God, you should not be forced to respect God.

As long as God is in the pledge, I personally belive they should not be required to stand. If you do not believe in God, you should not be forced to respect God.
Again, you aren't respecting the flag or God. Only those with blinders on for one issue cannot see that there is more to the issue than just cloth and magic-men and that sometimes simple manners, especially when it isn't all that difficult, should be taught and promoted in the schools.

Back