The Christian Agnostic

I think it's fine to deconstruct christianity but if that's the path you want to walk down....
My critics are all over the bloody map.

Some of them think I am out to bash Christianity.

Some think I am a bible thumping holy roller.

Some think I have no beliefs of any kind.

You are incorrect.

An atheist doesn't believe in a God of any sort, it doesn't mean they have no beliefs.

For instance you could believe in confusionism and still be an atheist.

Atheism is really just the wholesale rejection of religious belief, whether or not it involves a monotheistic god.

What's the point of saying you don't believe in god, but you do believe in religious practices, rituals, beliefs?

The Confucian and Daoist traditions don't have a Creator god in the same way Judaism and Christianity do, but they believe in a moral and natural order that is a reflection of the will of Heaven, the Li, or the Tao.

Atheism is really just the wholesale rejection of religious belief, whether or not it involves a monotheistic god.

What's the point of saying you don't believe in god, but you do believe in religious practices, rituals, beliefs?

The Confucian and Daoist traditions don't have a Creator god in the same way Judaism and Christianity do, but they believe in a moral and natural order that is a reflection of the will of Heaven, the Li, or the Tao.

Isn't that what I said?

My critics are all over the bloody map.

Some of them think I am out to bash Christianity.

Some think I am a bible thumping holy roller.

Some think I have no beliefs of any kind.

I think it is the vehemence with which you attack atheists that might give people the sense you are a "roller". You seem like a "militant agnostic" of sorts. :)

I think it is the vehemence with which you attack atheists that might give people the sense you are a "roller". :)
That would require willfully ignoring the dozens of threads I have made bashing evangelicalism, creation science, and biblical literalism.

That would require willfully ignoring the dozens of threads I have made bashing evangelicalism, creation science, and biblical literalism.

Oh, no, not at all. I've seen your points about religious fundamentalists. But you also lost your shit when I pointed out some theological difficulties with the Old Testament God so it sounded a LOT like you were being a defender of the faith.

I'm sure you are agnostic. No doubt. But I'm so curious why you seem to have a bug in your bonnet about atheists and why you reserve similar language you use for fundies when denigrating atheists as well.

Is it the strong-voiced new atheists that rankle you? Or is it atheism qua atheism?

I said they could be.

Sitting on a couch and reading the Analects for it's insights about human nature and morality really doesn't amount to being an active participant in a Confucian tradition.

It's hard to see how atheists and strict scientific materialists could be active believers in the way of Heaven, the essential life force Qi, or the essential organizing principle Li.

Oh, no, not at all. I've seen your points about religious fundamentalists...
So its sounds like you have been posting on this board a lot longer than your join date of September 2022 for this user name.

What other user names have you posted under in years past?

So its sounds like you have been posting on this board a lot longer than your join date of September 2022 for this user name.

What other user names have you posted under in years past?

No but I know how to look at old posts.

Would you like me to show you how it is done?

Sitting on a couch and reading the Analects for it's insights about human nature and morality really doesn't amount to being an active participant in a Confucian tradition.

It's hard to see how atheists and strict scientific materialists could be active believers in the way of Heaven, the essential life force Qi, or the essential organizing principle Li.

You don't have to be an active participant in the Confusian tradition to partake in it's wisdom in some degree.

Basically you don't need to be a follower of it to gain from the wisdom the tradition holds.

I am not. I like changing my name. I like words. Interesting words and phrases. Like "Detached Products". I might have to use that one next time.

I guess I'm most curious why this upsets you SO MUCH.
Smells like paranoia to me.

It doesn't upset me, Perry. Abbie Normals pique my curiosity.

Back