The God Equation

Horse shit.

Beliefs in this area are merely blind guesses. How does one "analyze" one's blind guesses.

If you think there is value in blind guesses that cannot be tested, okay. But if you do...YOU ARE WRONG.

I flip a coin and assert: If it comes up HEADS, I guess at least one god exists...if it comes up TAILS, I guess no gods exist. Analyze that!

Question: Are there any sentient beings living on any planet circling the nearest 20 stars to Sol?

Any answer other than, "I do not know" is nothing more than a blind guess...worth nothing.

This disparagement of the agnostic position on the "do any gods exist" is one of the most ignorant positions anyone ever takes.

Horse shit.

An "open mind" can, and often does, simply assert, "I do not know and do not have enough information to make a meaningful guess."

I don't even know what the hell that means...or what it was supposed to mean. BUT...anything that has not been established as IMPOSSIBLE...IS POSSIBLE.

The brightest and most creative minds in human history - Socrates, Voltaire, Tolstoy - all maintain that admitting ignorance is a sign of profound wisdom.

"We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.” -- Lev Tolstoy

Yes

I think he’s wrong

I don’t trust organized religion

I believe I have made that very clear and often on this site
So, you don't respect the messages in gospel music? That's your choice...but an odd one if you don't trust organized religion, yet you say that Aretha is your "queen"....
Her pastor has some very valid points, you know....not sure what you're disagreeing with....

The brightest and most creative minds in human history - Socrates, Voltaire, Tolstoy - all maintain that admitting ignorance is a sign of profound wisdom.

It's wise to know what you don't know, but it takes will to find the answers.

IMO about 80% of people give up even though they still seek the answer. That's when they turn to something easier like pseudoscience, magic, FaceBook, etc.

It's wise to know what you don't know, but it takes will to find the answers.

IMO about 80% of people give up even though they still seek the answer. That's when they turn to something easier like pseudoscience, magic, FaceBook, etc.

I think admitting ignorance, even on an anonymous message board, is unpalatable and humiliating to some. Particularly those lacking confidence and self esteem.

I freely admit I generally avoid topics I do not know jack sh*t about.

You are a learner, and I respect that!

The agnostic/skeptic gives no criterion for why certain questions are undecidable. Thus the skeptic has no standard for truth.

Sorry, but that's poppycock...and not the fun kind.

The criterion is fact. Is it factual or not? If there's no evidence, then there's no evidence to base a decision upon. That said, an absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. Logical people, meaning agnostics or anyone else who can't formulate an opinion based on lack of evidence, drop it and move on since there is no proof either way.

If Truth Detector took too much Oxy and decided that gravity doesn't exist, does it matter if he's skeptical or not when he leaps off the roof? The fact is he would have a very short predictable flight to the ground per the laws of physics.

I'm not skeptical of gravity. I'm skeptical about the story by some rube in Buttfuck, Alabama claiming he was abducted and anally probed by Space Aliens before being released on a Monday morning.

Not all early Christians believed in the divinity of Jesus of Nazareth....most were all killed off by those that did believe in the divinity of their messiah. That's fact too. The killing part I mean.**

Although evidence is sketchy, judging by the ripples, I have no doubt a rabbi emerged from Nazareth about 2000 years ago and his death left a lasting impact on the world. Siddhartha Gautama left similar ripples on the other side of the world about 500 years earlier.

Some think both are divine. Some, but not all. Some just accept the wisdom of the message they left and try to look past all the bullshit that came after. Some shit on the messages each left which, IMO, is silly.

IMO, outside of the Gospels, the New Testament is a long OpEd piece.

dviYNVM.jpg

Last edited:
I think admitting ignorance, even on an anonymous message board, is unpalatable and humiliating to some. Particularly those lacking confidence and self esteem.

I freely admit I generally avoid topics I do not know jack sh*t about.

You are a learner, and I respect that!

Agreed. It's a shame too because they end up hobbling themselves to a better life. Bosses respect people who can stay ahead of a problem. The more they work on it, the more likely they'll be noticed when it comes to promotions, bonuses and hand-picked assignments.

I think some might believe that intelligence and education are the same thing, which of course, they are not. Racists like to point out IQ bell curves to justify limiting education thereby creating a self-fulfilling prophecy that "they are too stupid to learn".

I believe in maximizing the education of every American. In a world of limited resources, it's a difficult goal to achieve but a global network of free wifi opens a door to self-teaching. I've used the Khan academy to help my niece with algebra and geometry. Sometimes it was difficult to stay ahead of her. My math is limited to doing Time Distance and Burn per hour problems in my head. After that I need a computer. LOL

Thanks on the learning. You too. Sorry, I'm not a hugger. :D

Science is the discipline of describing the physical universe. Art is the discipline of the imagination. If you have neither discipline, you have religion.

Before I raise the Bullshit flag, please define, in your own words, why "Art" is the discipline of the imagination.

Are you defining art? Is that like obscenity? You just know it when you see it?

As others have posted, if there's a divide, it's not between religion and science, it's between people who put emotion over logic versus those who realize we're all animals, but can be pretty clever at times. After all, which other species has nukes? LOL

“It might as well be said that God has properties. He has not, but only attributes and these are of our own making"

tesla
Tesla exemplified the phrase "crazed genius".

The fuller quote proving he was an idiot:

I hold that space cannot be curved, for the simple reason that it can have no properties. It might as well be said that God has properties. He has not, but only attributes and these are of our own making. Of properties we can only speak when dealing with matter filling the space. To say that in the presence of large bodies space becomes curved is equivalent to stating that something can act upon nothing. I, for one, refuse to subscribe to such a view.“ — Nikola Tesla New York Herald Tribune (11 September 1932)

https://drnikolatesla.tumblr.com/post/154259627293/einsteins-gravity-and-space-curvature

Einstein's theories have been tested as factual. https://www.space.com/41020-putting-relativity-to-the-test.html

It's easy to dismiss the 'existence of god', especially in the sense that he 'looks like Zeus' and 'is a Watchmaker'. But, if you can conceive that people have 'Spirits/Souls', and that after death these 'Souls' move to another 'Dimension/Realm', then you could probably conceive that some 'God Force' exists, even though at our present state of development and knowledge we cannot describe or prove.

Agreed. Additionally anyone who anthropomorphizes God is limiting God to a human shape and mind. Despots loved the image that God sat on a throne thus giving credibility to an earthly King for earthly problems. An all powerful god doesn't need to have its back to a wall.

You are not a believable source

You caused that
You were with me on Kant pleasure because you fact checked me, so what is it that you don't believe? How could Harvard and MIT be desperate for funding? Please explain that to me.

Do a search on "black holes may be dark matter" and note the date. I try to keep up with astrophysics, I want to know where the new ideas are coming from. It's usually from independent researchers with little to no funding.

You were with me on Kant pleasure because you fact checked me, so what is it that you don't believe? How could Harvard and MIT be desperate for funding? Please explain that to me.

Do a search on "black holes may be dark matter" and note the date. I try to keep up with astrophysics, I want to know where the new ideas are coming from. It's usually from independent researchers with little to no funding.

Why do you think that is, goat? A non-answer = can't answer.

So, you don't respect the messages in gospel music? That's your choice...but an odd one if you don't trust organized religion, yet you say that Aretha is your "queen"....
Her pastor has some very valid points, you know....not sure what you're disagreeing with....

I don’t believe that his interpretation of god is correct

It’s legal for me to believe differently than him

Unlike you to me that doesn’t mean I hate him you hate whore

You did not quote a source that proves your “facts” were correct

You back lies here

You did that to yourself

Your WORD is not trustable

You did that to yourself

Tesla exemplified the phrase "crazed genius".

The fuller quote proving he was an idiot:

I hold that space cannot be curved, for the simple reason that it can have no properties. It might as well be said that God has properties. He has not, but only attributes and these are of our own making. Of properties we can only speak when dealing with matter filling the space. To say that in the presence of large bodies space becomes curved is equivalent to stating that something can act upon nothing. I, for one, refuse to subscribe to such a view.“ — Nikola Tesla New York Herald Tribune (11 September 1932)

https://drnikolatesla.tumblr.com/post/154259627293/einsteins-gravity-and-space-curvature

Einstein's theories have been tested as factual. https://www.space.com/41020-putting-relativity-to-the-test.html

Thanks dutch

He was dead wrong there

But

He was right about some things

I don’t believe that his interpretation of god is correct

It’s legal for me to believe differently than him

Unlike you to me that doesn’t mean I hate him you hate whore
I don't hate anyone...It's obvious you do...Just compare out posts...;)
If you don't believe in God, that's fine....it's just odd you chose a gospel singer who did believe in him (and God) to be your queen...don't you agree? I'm not sure what you could possibly disagree with, though, if you're a woman of faith....he wants only what is best for people....
I'm not sure what "legality" has to do with any of this, however....;)

I don't hate anyone...It's obvious you do...Just compare out posts...;)
If you don't believe in God, that's fine....it's just odd you chose a gospel singer who did believe in him (and God) to be your queen...don't you agree? I'm not sure what you could possibly disagree with, though, if you're a woman of faith....he wants only what is best for people....
I'm not sure what "legality" has to do with any of this, however....;)

I also believe Jesus was a great philosopher

You just think people should HATE each other if they are not exactly the same

Back