The God Equation

I don't think mad is the correct term. A religion founded on a book that advocates grotesque evil is dangerous. Adherents will accept the evil as gospel. Dogma, be it Christian, Jewish, or Islamic, has been responsible for much evil throughout history, and the continues today. The Bible, both Old and New Testament, are accepted by Christians as the Word of God. That makes it a very, very dangerous work.

Wow. How many books do you think should be banned in schools and libraries? LOL

It's a book. What people do with that is up to them. Free will.

The one in the Bible sure is, but then that's a work of fiction, not an encyclopedia.

Fiction? Like a Clinton resume? LOL

The Torah is a lot of things. Desert nomads didn't have much and, if they had a "book", it was likely a Torah.

Similar idea for American settlers. Being poor, if they only had one book, it was a Bible. A lot of American pioneers learned to read from a Bible.

Thanks Gutenberg! :thup:

Agreed that Jesus was born of Jewish parents and was a rabbi....although my limited understanding of that term is like saying "I'm ordained by the Universal Life Church"...which I am.

As for the OT, given Jesus is Jewish then, he too, must accept the Torah. He's even questioned about it and confirmed it. Of course, that could just be sharp editing by the 325 AD Council of Nicaea.

IMO, that's like future historians reading through the OpEds of major newspapers in 2020 than hand pick the message they want to send by their choice of selected OpEds.

Obviously some picks would be obviously wackadoodle "books" but some would be a narrow choice between what was most likely true and what they wanted to see.

Examples of the various, sometimes opposing, views at the time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christology

Nice work.

We make a mistake if we take our 21st values and retroactively transpose them to the late Bronze Age.

Most literature from the late Bronze and Iron ages spoke of violence, retribution, slavery, and revenge.

But that does not mean the New Testament, the Torah, the Tanakh, Gilgamesh, The Iliad, the Oddesy, Beowulf, the Bagavad Gita, the Koran do not yet still illustrate higher truths and deeper wisdom. And that is why many people place value on them even two thousand years later.

Wow. How many books do you think should be banned in schools and libraries? LOL

It's a book. What people do with that is up to them. Free will.

Never said it should be banned. I said it was dangerous, and I stand by that. Your attempt to put words in my mouth is an epic fail. How many books claim to be the inerrant word of God and have millions of people who blindly accept that? I can think of only two. Both are grotesque and disgusting. Hey, let's kill kids for the revenge factor, and then create a Holiday to celebrate all those innocent children being slaughtered!!! No wonder these idiots don't care about their own kids.

Never said it should be banned. I said it was dangerous, and I stand by that. Your attempt to put words in my mouth is an epic fail. How many books claim to be the inerrant word of God and have millions of people who blindly accept that? I can think of only two. Both are grotesque and disgusting. Hey, let's kill kids for the revenge factor, and then create a Holiday to celebrate all those innocent children being slaughtered!!! No wonder these idiots don't care about their own kids.

Jesus' claim that he is the only way to truth is false and should be condemned.

I don't think mad is the correct term. A religion founded on a book that advocates grotesque evil is dangerous. Adherents will accept the evil as gospel. Dogma, be it Christian, Jewish, or Islamic, has been responsible for much evil throughout history, and the continues today. The Bible, both Old and New Testament, are accepted by Christians as the Word of God. That makes it a very, very dangerous work.

Only the Protestant tradition, and in particular the Creation Science Museum Protestants, hold that the bible is a sole infallible authority, and should be read literally.
. Protestants, and particularly fundamentalists Protestants are only a minority of world Christianity.

I agree that the white nationalist evangelicals and the prosperity gospel of the televangelists are an anathema to a pluralistic, democratic society.

Only the Protestant tradition, and in particular the Creation Science Museum Protestants, hold that the bible is a sole infallible authority, and should be read literally.
. Protestants, and particularly fundamentalists Protestants are only a minority of world Christianity.

I agree that the white nationalist evangelicals and the prosperity gospel of the televangelists are an anathema to a pluralistic, democratic society.

Where Catholics don't even read the Bible.

Jesus' claim that he is the only way to truth is false and should be condemned.

First, where did he say that?

Second, as noted above, there was a shitload of post-mortem editing going on for over 300 fucking years so I'd avoid being too literal with the telling of a story written 1,100 years before Gutenberg was conceived.

Where Catholics don't even read the Bible.

...and for over 1500 years couldn't because they didn't know Latin? Wasn't that the entire big deal about the King James Version of the Bible? It was written in English for anyone to read and recognized as an official version? As the link notes, there were earlier attempts but those were shut down for one reason or another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version
The King James Version (KJV), also known as the King James Bible (KJB)[1] and the Authorized Version, is an English translation of the Christian Bible for the Church of England, commissioned in 1604 and completed and published seven years later in 1611 under the sponsorship of James VI and I.[

Agreed. It's extremists using a religion as a weapon. Not what Jesus would want IMHO.

And fuck you too, asshole!

That's okay. It's not a crime for you to be a bigoted hater of things you don't understand. This forum has numerous examples on both sides of the Left/Right line too.

Oddly, it's mostly Lefties who hate religion and it's mostly Righties twisting religion into a weapon of bigotry. Sad.

That's okay. It's not a crime for you to be a bigoted hater of things you don't understand. This forum has numerous examples on both sides of the Left/Right line too.

Oddly, it's mostly Lefties who hate religion and it's mostly Righties twisting religion into a weapon of bigotry. Sad.

Have you ever read anything about Jesus in the Bible?

Back