The Gospel of Thomas

I wonder why the atheists always use the least accurate translations (KJV)........the NIV translates it better....

FUNNY you should say that. I have met some Christians who are pretty fiercely sure YOU ARE WRONG. I select the KJV simply because the language is more poetic, but also many Christians prefer it as the standard. But the copy that I read was NSRV.

Either way: isn't it cool that the FOUNDATIONAL TRUTH OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE has about a zillion different translations and every sect can complain about how the bible really says this or that based on which is their favorite translation? Funny how UNIVERSAL TRUTH can have so many shades based on solely translation. Almost like a human work.

And, even by your favorite translation it still says "...what we do not see". Again, my point stands.

BTW: Why do you prefer the NIV? Is it easier for you to find loopholes you can use to violate God's commandments in it?

BTW: Why do you prefer the NIV?

because it was a translation derived cooperatively by hundreds of scholars based upon more ancient manuscripts than any previous translation, including even the Dead Sea scrolls.....

why do you and your friends continue to use the translation done by one guy who didn't even have a Hebrew language OT source and had to use a Latin translation of the Hebrew text instead......is it because you are fond of the corrected errors?......

because it was a translation derived cooperatively by hundreds of scholars based upon more ancient manuscripts than any previous translation, including even the Dead Sea scrolls.....

Interesting. Thanks.

why do you and your friends continue to use the translation done by one guy who didn't even have a Hebrew language OT source

I already answered that. And I clarified that the copy of the Bible that I read from cover to cover was NSRV, so I'm not particularly wedded to the KJV. I just realize that some sects still consider it the gold standard. BTW: a really interesting book about how the KJV came to be is worth a read: "God's Secretaries"

is it because you are fond of the corrected errors?......

No, I've explained myself. I am tired of you coming on here an lying about something I just said. But that's par for the course for you, FalseProphet.

May I ask if your favorite version of the Bible lacks the Ten Commandments? Or do you just get off by flipping God off by bearing false witness CONSTANTLY?

technically you have chosen to believe God does not exist

No. I fail to see evidence for God's existence. Why do you care anyway? What do you have to do with God?

........you have exhibited no evidence of being open minded on the topic, as an agnostic would.......

Perhaps you need to read Huxley directly rather than your "opinion" of what the word "agnostic" means. But either way it would all be waaaaay over your head.

I'm still curious why you are on here witnessing against God so fervently, though.

I am tired of you coming on here an lying about something I just said. But that's par for the course for you, FalseProphet.

then you should stop wandering around accusing people of lying......if you ever come up with anything that's actually RIGHT about either theology or philosophy, feel free to share it.......it would help redeem your reputation......

1) because you keep replying to me and I get notifications.....

Oh good. So I'll be treated to more of your lies.

2) because the things you say in those posts are errors which need correcting......

Lies aren't the way to correct those "errors".

You know, your dedication to LIES and FALSEHOODS makes it seem, well, like you might be actually witnessing for...well, I won't say it, but I think YOU know who I'm talking about.

I've seen your fruit and I know the tree whence it comes.

Perhaps you need to read Huxley directly rather than your "opinion" of what the word "agnostic" means.

everyone knew what 'agnostic' and 'atheist' meant until atheists, feeling isolated, tried to pretend that the agnostics and the merely apathetic were included in their camp........

Oh good. So I'll be treated to more of your lies.

I'll be here as long as you post stupid things.......which it appears you are intent upon continuing.......I've been here since 2009.......a lot of chew toys like you have come and gone since then.......we'll see if you can last six months......

I'll be here as long as you post stupid things.

Professing yourself wise you become a fool.

......which it appears you are intent upon continuing.......I've been here since 2009

Were you spreading lies from the start or is that a new thing for you?

.......a lot of chew toys like you have come and gone since then.......we'll see if you can last six months......

You mean, people actually got a life and moved on? OK. I look forward to it. And it's good you'll still be here spreading your lies.

Has to be modern English, I don't do well with old English.
If I am studying hard ,I'll have two or three to double check meaning between each.

Agreed. That is why I liked the NSRV so much. I have never been fond of the idea that somehow the most important thing ever written for humanity should be prone to mistranslation or incomplete translations.

Like I said earlier: the book "God's Secretaries" does an excellent job of explaining how 17th century "scholarship" worked with available documents at that time to come up with the first "gold standard" type Bible translation.

But doesn't it seem interesting that over the intervening 400 years or so that the documents keep coming up that allow us to get a better translation? Doesn't that give pause that perhaps what you currently believe which is largely predicated on the Bible version of God might be incomplete or incorrect?

Now I know you will claim you don't need the Bible because God came to you in 1975 and spoke directly to you. Congrats. The rest of us have to rely on the Bible to know what God wants and what God is like.

That's my point! The Spirit realm isn't subject to the laws of the physical universe.
But that's a part of reality and life,that you discount and shy away from exploring.

We don't know all the laws of physics, so we are not in a position to say if they reveal any deeper truth about a higher organizing principle underlying the cosmos.

Don't worry about me, I am confident in my commitment to explore wisdom, knowledge, and higher truths. In the past 14 days I have read the Prophet Isiah, the Prophet Micah, The Dhammapada, and I started the Daodejing.

One thing I am convinced of is that no poster on any internet forum is an agent of eternal truth and is somehow privileged with ultimate knowledge.

Back