Trump announces 8,000 more jobs for American workers

I understand just fine. Your talking points are great to stretch the thread, but you don't have numbers to back up your claims. Consumer confidence came about when the price of oil crashed. People knew they'd have several hundred dollars/month for purchasing goods/services.

Meanwhile, Wall St was talking about how horrible the economy was.

I'm not making any claim. You are claiming consumer confidence is something it's not.

Why would a bad crash portend a weak recovery? The larger the fall more room to go back up right?

That's pretty simplistic. That crash was devastating for investor & consumer confidence. How quickly to you think those can be restored, exactly?

After the stimulus, most on the right weren't even predicting recovery. Many were predicting a prolonged Depression.

That's pretty simplistic. That crash was devastating for investor & consumer confidence. How quickly to you think those can be restored, exactly?

After the stimulus, most on the right weren't even predicting recovery. Many were predicting a prolonged Depression.

Ultimately it's irrelevant what people predicted. Our current recovery is one of the weakest on record.

Ok. QE was an attempt by the Fed to remedy it's previous failure.
It wasn't the Fed that created the artificial supply/demand in the housing market.

Why do you ignore that this country only relies on boom/bust cycles? Investors are not patient anymore. They want/get instant returns.

*meh* the world is doomed because of Trump..
it's absolutely silly to watch them twist and turn when all indications so far indicate GDP growth thru upticks.
Man. I hope I'm never so blindly partisan

Ultimately it's irrelevant what people predicted. Our current recovery is one of the weakest on record.

It's not irrelevant to me. I'm not going to let the same posters who were predicting Depression talk about a weak recovery now (not saying that's you, but certainly quite a few here).

Do you think Trump's (LOL) idea about infrastructure spending will boost the economy? If so, why didn't Republicans allow Obama to do the same if the recovery was so 'sluggish'?

it's absolutely silly to watch them twist and turn when all indications so far indicate GDP growth thru upticks.

And I hope I never abandon reason so much that I vote for a lunatic charlatan like Trump.

It wasn't the Fed that created the artificial supply/demand in the housing market.

Why do you ignore that this country only relies on boom/bust cycles? Investors are not patient anymore. They want/get instant returns.

The gov't created the incentives for Wall St to do what it did and the Fed pour abundant amounts of fuel on fire by keeping rates too low for too long.

Do you think Trump's (LOL) idea about infrastructure spending will boost the economy? If so, why didn't Republicans allow Obama to do the same if the recovery was so 'sluggish'?

No, it's a horrible idea by Trump. And it's funny watch Krugman and other Keynesians come out against it.

And I hope I never abandon reason so much that I vote for a lunatic charlatan like Trump.
you're certainly free to make your own characterizations-but to sit here and posit silly stuff like consumer confidence is irrelevant
doesn't give you the right to your own facts

I'm not making any claim. You are claiming consumer confidence is something it's not.
Not really. You are mischaracterizing what a consumer is. Consuming stocks/derivatives/funds, is not the same as consuming goods.

Not really. You are mischaracterizing what a consumer is. Consuming stocks/derivatives/funds, is not the same as consuming goods.

I didn't create the consumer index so if you disagree with what it tracks then your issue is not with me.

They're against spending coupled with revenue cuts....because it worked so well under Bush.

So the stimulus was not Keynesian spending then?

And clearly you haven't followed Krugman and other Keynesians calling for massive infrastructure investment over the past decade.

you're certainly free to make your own characterizations-but to sit here and posit silly stuff like consumer confidence is irrelevant
doesn't give you the right to your own facts

You mean 'facts' like Trump just created 5,000 jobs .. or is in any way responsible for their creation.

You mean bald-face lies like that?

Oh the irony. If only the US GDP was all that mattered in the world.

Back