What kind of "Christian values" do Conservatives want?

Religion has been the justification for warfare and slaughter since biblical times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So has politics, science and every other human undertaking. “We won’t save democracy by killing it ... and we won’t make American democracy worth saving by destroying it in the so-called attempt to save it.” Get a grip; the problem isn't "religion", it's people who misuse religion...or politics, or science, et.

Sent from the Mystery Machine Van using the Marine Life Communicator

Because most of them didn't use writing and had to learn to remember anything they thought important. Our early British poetry - things like The Gododdin - survived hundreds of years that way, and the language is convincingly early-mediaeval.

It's proof it can be done, more or less, but the fact mains purely verbal communication over a century is highly vulnerable to distortion.

The historical Jesus is reported in independent Christian, Jewish, and Roman sources. Archeological evidence confirms the NT account of Pontius Pilate as Roman governor.

But carry on with your Jihad to convice people that Jesus of Nazareth was a hoax, that he never existed.

That is the kind of in-your-face, belligerent behaviour that gives militant atheism a bad name.

The only evidence for the historical Jesus is the NT and other reports by His followers. Those "independent Christian, Jewish and Roman sources" only repeated what His followers told them.

Which is part of why I think religion should die on its own. Dutch Uncle is just being an idiot.
I think and hope that religion will die on its own. Since it's all based on wishful thinking and not reality, it appears to be doomed. And none too soon. Religion has done far too much damage already.

Jesus fucking Christ you are a gutless whiner and liar. Who has called you a mass murderer? How many bodies have people claimed you've stacked up like cord wood?

I support social evolution, but strongly doubt "religion" will ever die. There are multiple reasons, but you obviously would rather sling lies and false accusations than act like a logical adult. Sad.
Logical adults are not religious.

I think and hope that religion will die on its own. Since it's all based on wishful thinking and not reality, it appears to be doomed. And none too soon. Religion has done far too much damage already.

The higher the living standards get, the less religious people become. So while religion will probably always be around in some countries, it will probably completely die out in Europe and East Asia someday.
Of course, religion also makes raising the living standards harder, but it can be done.

The only evidence for the historical Jesus is the NT and other reports by His followers. Those "independent Christian, Jewish and Roman sources" only repeated what His followers told them.

Herodotus only repeated what others told him about Persia, Xerxes, Sycthia, and the Greco-Persian wars, events that happened decades before Herodotus was an adult. Yet Herodotus' histories are among our best surviving source of information about the Achaemenid Empire, Xerxes, and the Greco-Roman wars.

Sorry, it is not up to you - an obscure message board poster - to overthrow the standards of historical scholarship which have been practiced for two centuries plus.

Logical adults are not religious.

Disagree as others have proved above. What they are not are Bible-thumpers who believe God created Adam 6000 years ago.

Sent from my AK-47 using a 7.62X39 messenger bullet
3bbc4dc5-edf6-4500-8a8c-ddfd80d147de

Herodotus only repeated what others told him about Persia, Xerxes, Sycthia, and the Greco-Persian wars, events that happened decades before Herodotus was an adult. Yet Herodotus' histories are among our best surviving source of information about the Achaemenid Empire, Xerxes, and the Greco-Roman wars.

Sorry, it is not up to you - an obscure message board poster - to overthrow the standards of historical scholarship which have been practiced for two centuries plus.

Those "standards" are only used to support religious beliefs, not truth.

Those "standards" are only used to support religious beliefs, not truth.

Dude, your hate and bigotry toward the beliefs of others is exactly what you are blaming others for doing.

Sent from the future using Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine

Disagree as others have proved above. What they are not are Bible-thumpers who believe God created Adam 6000 years ago.

Sent from my AK-47 using a 7.62X39 messenger bullet
3bbc4dc5-edf6-4500-8a8c-ddfd80d147de
Logical adults would read the Bible and discern that it was written by men, not God.

Among the most militant of atheists, atheism really becomes a kind of religion. These militant atheists are emotionally invested in trying to prove a man known as Jesus of Nazareth never historically existed, that he is the created hoax of a group of peasants in 1st century Judea.

The truly disinterested, secular, reasonable person would not invest their ego and emotions into attempts to prove a man known as Jesus of Nazareth never existed. The secular and disinterested person would leave it to the scholarly consensus of trained historians of antiquity

Dude, your hate and bigotry toward the beliefs of others is exactly what you are blaming others for doing.

Sent from the future using Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine
My "hate and bigotry" are your delusions. I am a rationalist. I don't do "hate and bigotry". I also don't do religion. It is the opposite of rational.

Among the most militant of atheists, atheism really becomes a kind of religion. These militant atheists are emotionally invested in trying to prove a man known as Jesus of Nazareth never existed, that he is the created hoax of a group of peasants in 1st century Judea.

The truly disinterested, secular, reasonable person would not invest their ego and emotions into attempts to prove a man known as Jesus of Nazareth never existed. The secular and disinterested person would leave it to the scholarly consensus of trained historians of antiquity

The "Militant Atheist" is a myth just like God. I've never seen an Atheist actually try to disprove the historical Jesus.
And if an average person feels they have enough evidence to say a historical figure doesn't exist, what's wrong with talking about it?

Logical adults would read the Bible and discern that it was written by men, not God.

Agreed. How does that nullify what I wrote? How does that prove you know best and that religion should be destroyed?

Among the most militant of atheists, atheism really becomes a kind of religion. These militant atheists are emotionally invested in trying to prove a man known as Jesus of Nazareth never historically existed, that he is the created hoax of a group of peasants in 1st century Judea.

All you've got are reports by illiterate peasants that were recorded by your "trained historians of antiquity".

Back