What's a Preacher to do?

my answer was phrased in the form of a question.

deal with it.

Clearly, you consider new testament authors infallible, except when you don't, of course.:pke:
Rubbish.

You give an example of something that was never considered a sin becoming unjustified in the secular social contract, while he speaks of something that is directly referred to as sinful being justified because of the same secular judgment.

What was sinful is still sinful according to what Jesus said about the New Covenant.

Even people who are not Christians, such as myself, can see the difference here.

Making something that isn't sinful against the social contract would cause Christ to say, "Follow the law" which he, and other authors, said often. Attempting to make something less sinful because man says it is okay per the contract, well Christ spoke to that as well with much less agreement. Secular laws, or social contracts, do not make something 'not sin'. While they can make something that was acceptable in one time, unacceptable in more current times.

While I disagree with the sentiment of 'sin' in these cases. (My beliefs tell me that as long as they harm no other, sacrifice none other than themselves, and do not seek to harm those they love they are well within what is Right.) However, if you believe what is said in a book to be the Word of God, then it becomes something significantly different.

Are you saying that the book is not the Word of God?

Maineman,

Where does the NT condone slavery?

Not saying it doesn't, just curious where it does. Thanks...

The entirety of Paul's letter to Philemon
Matt 18:25
Mark 14:66
Luke 12:45-48
Ephesians 6:5-9
Colossians 4:1
1 Timothy 6:1-3
1 Corinthians 12:13
Galatians 3:28
Colossians 3:11

too funny....MM quickly addresses where slavery is permissible in the NT but can't address where homosexuality is not a sin in the NT or the OT. he can't even defend his (church's) stance about homosexuality yet readily jumps to show where the bible talks about slavery.

doesn't pass my smell test, i am beginning to this MM is full of meadowmuffins....

Here's the scenario- you're a preacher in a Christian church in po-dunk Maine or Massachusetts and a couple comes in and asks you to marry them. They know you as a devout Christian who taught them both about the Bible. They tell you that they are both virgins and they are obviously in love and all that and they want a nice church wedding. Oh, and their parents are all big time ACLU trial lawyers, so can afford the biggest and the best.

One big problem though- they're both men. Gay as all hell!

So what the hell do you do? If you say yes you're basically condoning homosexuality. In fact you'd be enabling it. No question you'll be Lucifer's boyfriend in the afterlife for a long, long time. If you refuse, you'll have your sorry ass dragged through court, the church will go bankrupt, not to mention all the vicious crap that goes with publicly dissing homosexuality.

Come on maineman- tell us what you'd do.

I would shoot myself for being a preacher in the first place.

2nd of all what you talkin about po'dunk maine and massachusetts? Have you been there?? they are both great places.

Answer my question. Can a Christian kill a million people and still make it to heaven? You refuse to answer it, because it forces you to abandon your illogical belief that no sin is greater than another.

I didn't refuse to answer it. It simply is a idiotic question if you knew anything about Christ.

Yes, a Christian could kill a million people and still make to Heaven. However, a true Christian would not kill a million people. A much more intelligent question would be, "Could a man who killed a million people repent and enter the Kingdom of God."

Immie

I didn't refuse to answer it. It simply is a idiotic question if you knew anything about Christ.

Yes, a Christian could kill a million people and still make to Heaven. However, a true Christian would not kill a million people. A much more intelligent question would be, "Could a man who killed a million people repent and enter the Kingdom of God."

Immie

really....what about all the people in the flood that God killed? what about the wars God directed and gave Israel victory in?

really....what about all the people in the flood that God killed? what about the wars God directed and gave Israel victory in?

What about them?

How does God killing people in the flood apply to the question Tabasco asked or my answer?

As for the wars that God directed, I can't answer for God. That is a question, I will have to ask God in the future, because it does not make sense to me either.

Immie

Which doesn't answer my question. Are you saying that you do not believe the book to be the "Word of God"?

Sure he does,when it fits his needs

Some say it "contains" the word of God and that parts of it are God's Word; parts of it don't belong to God or don't belong in the Bible.

What concerns me when people say that is how am I supposed to know what part is God's Word and what part doesn't belong? Am I supposed to pick 'n' choose what I like and don't like?

Immie

Which doesn't answer my question. Are you saying that you do not believe the book to be the "Word of God"?

I am saying that the Bible was written by faithful men trying their best to discern and to relate the will of God. It has been translated and revised and politicized over the centuries. A good book on the subject: "God's Secretaries"

Thanks, always looking for a good read. I am currently taking on "A Documentary History of Religion in America to 1877" It can be a bit dry in parts, but it is informative.

I just finished reading "The Baptizing of America"

I am glad the Christocrats are losing their grip on our society! I hope they continue to do so!

I am saying that the Bible was written by faithful men trying their best to discern and to relate the will of God. It has been translated and revised and politicized over the centuries. A good book on the subject: "God's Secretaries"
Short answer, "Yes, that is what I am saying."

You may as well make it up as you go then. Why bother with the book? Your best interpretation is all that people will get, and there is no evidence that your interpretation is any better than another failing human opinion, nor any evidence that your magic man even exists other than symbolically in the imaginations of other failing men who tried their best to interpret the ether.

damo, my friend...

we'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree!:clink:
I wasn't expressing an opinion on the matter, I was trying to actually get an answer to the one question there...

:D

Why bother with the book? If men were doing their best to interpret the ether, what possible significance could it have? They did their best to interpret what they couldn't understand, and you are going to do your best to interpret what exactly out of the book? It sounds like the best interpretation of a "best interpretation" retranslated to meaninglessness.

I don't understand why a book that had no significance would have any hold over you and am trying to see what significance you give to the book that would make it significant enough to try to teach from, and to live your life by.

Back