What's a Preacher to do?

Translation: Manineman refuses to answer, and begs not to be asked again.

exactly...he quickly and thoroughly answered the slavery issue as he benefited him....the homosexual issue he has done nothing but dodge an actual answer because he knows there simply is no support for his position, it is simply what he "believes"

exactly...he quickly and thoroughly answered the slavery issue as he benefited him....the homosexual issue he has done nothing but dodge an actual answer because he knows there simply is no support for his position, it is simply what he "believes"
Yup- falling back on his "opinion" per usual practice; yet in this case there is absolutely no justification for a preacher actually believing that homosexuality isn't a sin. His lack of moral compass has been exposed yet again, and this time so clearly that not even a die-hard militant liberal can spin him out of it.

I smell victory!! Whiskey for my friends, and beer for my horses!! :clink:

I wasn't expressing an opinion on the matter, I was trying to actually get an answer to the one question there...

:D

Why bother with the book? If men were doing their best to interpret the ether, what possible significance could it have? They did their best to interpret what they couldn't understand, and you are going to do your best to interpret what exactly out of the book? It sounds like the best interpretation of a "best interpretation" retranslated to meaninglessness.

I don't understand why a book that had no significance would have any hold over you and am trying to see what significance you give to the book that would make it significant enough to try to teach from, and to live your life by.

I would ask you to read the link I posted in #126 in its entirely. It is, as I said then, an excellent piece which is far more eloquent than I could be in laying out the beliefs taht I hold.

for a guy that runs rampant on someone if they refuse to answer his questions he has sure played the hypocrite to a tee in this thread...i've seen him bash posters with vulgar words if they refuse to put their beliefs into their own thoughts, he mocks them as being stupid or some other insult for using a source to explain their beliefs....

and no, i'm not surprised at the incredible idiocy and intellectual dishonesty of the so called preacher from maine

the issue of the absolute fallibility of the Bible and the modern interpretation of writings from two plus millenia ago is not one that is easily distilled into twitter-length sound bites.

Perhaps if you wanted to discuss the constitution and torture, maybe we could do that in pithy snippets, but this topic....not so much.

Now....have you bothered to READ the article that I posted or not, counselor?

you ignored the bible verses quoted, you ignored questions, you refuse to explain how, given the bible verses that clearly label homosexuality a sin, your church and you don't believe it is given the clear words in both the OT and the NT...

you rail on others who use sources to back up their beliefs but now you do it...you shoudl be able to summarize that belief in light of the clear words very easily. if you need a scholar or a thesis to counter the express words and they are unambigous words, then it is probably a bunch of hoookey feel good stuff that has nothing at all to do with the truth.

i certainly hope you learned a big lesson, don't criticize others (and there is one you do so frequently..rsr) when you yourself need to do so and you refuse to give YOUR OWN answer....

you ignored the bible verses quoted, you ignored questions, you refuse to explain how, given the bible verses that clearly label homosexuality a sin, your church and you don't believe it is given the clear words in both the OT and the NT...

you rail on others who use sources to back up their beliefs but now you do it...you shoudl be able to summarize that belief in light of the clear words very easily. if you need a scholar or a thesis to counter the express words and they are unambigous words, then it is probably a bunch of hoookey feel good stuff that has nothing at all to do with the truth.

i certainly hope you learned a big lesson, don't criticize others (and there is one you do so frequently..rsr) when you yourself need to do so and you refuse to give YOUR OWN answer....

I ask again...have you READ the article that I posted or not, so called counselor?

and if not...dont EVER bother to post a link to ANYTHING and expect me to read it....EVER.

got it? good.

I am no preacher,but according to the preacher I spoke to tonight, A real preacher would go by what the bible says, according to him the bible states gay sex is a sin, he went on to say that sometimes ya have to use a little bit of common sense.

I asked him about living the law of the land, and he said yes that is true but again ya have to use some common sense, he then went on to tell me that all the new laws man is making is exactly what is causing the down fall of mankind.

I then asked him if he could be sued for not marrying two gay men( if we lived in a state that allowed gay marriages)His answer was yes he could, but he then explained that he is preaching the word of God and it says a marriage is between a man and a woman,he also told me as a preacher he was taught he may be taunted , sued even killed but he should never sway in his believes.

I don't know, this is one preacher's opinion , but it sounds a bit more real to me.

I ask again...have you READ the article that I posted or not, so called counselor?

and if not...dont EVER bother to post a link to ANYTHING and expect me to read it....EVER.

got it? good.

what a preacher...way to spread the word of your church....

amazing, i ask you to discuss the biblical texts i provided before you posted a link and you have to shout me down...you can't even have a rational discussion about your beliefs on the internet, i am amazed you can act like a preacher at all....do you yell at your flock to read a thesis before you answer their questions? good thing you are only interim...

i had already skimmed your link, but i want to talk solely about the biblical texts with you, not a thesis. if you are going to act a like your typical jerk self, kindly don't reply.

got it, good.

I know both very well. That's why I moved away.

Exactly what it expected to, hoped to, feared to or any other motivation for creating fantasyland in your head.

If you're claiming that you have witnessed hell and people being thrown into it for not thinking like you do and fearing homos, alrighty then.

But, uh, either you're a liar or you're nuts. Either way, you're selling an antiquated, outdated, unenlightened, rancid produce. But cool, go through life fearing gay people and enjoyment while worshipping vindictive, hateful, unimaginably cruel gods who torture good people forever for not sucking their cocks. Just don't force it down the rest of our throats.

I didn't refuse to answer it. It simply is a idiotic question if you knew anything about Christ.

Your condescending, holier-than-thou attitude is duly noted.

Keep in mind that I don't claim to be a devout Christian. You do ... and your smug demeanor is precisely why I despise most churches.

However, a true Christian would not kill a million people.

According to your own words, all sin is equal. So, by your god's standards, there really isn't an iota of difference between killing a million people and jacking off.

what a preacher...way to spread the word of your church....

amazing, i ask you to discuss the biblical texts i provided before you posted a link and you have to shout me down...you can't even have a rational discussion about your beliefs on the internet, i am amazed you can act like a preacher at all....do you yell at your flock to read a thesis before you answer their questions? good thing you are only interim...

i had already skimmed your link, but i want to talk solely about the biblical texts with you, not a thesis. if you are going to act a like your typical jerk self, kindly don't reply.

got it, good.

I find it really quite interesting that you would give your uncritical support for RSR who ALWAYS posts links without comment...and then come at me, who hardly ever does that, when I post one link that very eloquently describes the debate within the ecumenical protestant community about this incredibly complex and difficult issue. I am not a graduate of divinity school and I struggle with biblical exegesis daily. The link that I provided discusses the ongoing conversation of people of faith trying to put the words of the bible into the context of the world that existed when they were written... and how we struggle to interpret them in the different world of today. I am sorry that I cannot reduce a complex issue into a soundbite for you. I would think that, if you can carry on a friendly conversation with RSR who uses the words of others extensively, that you might be able to do so on this one occasion with me. I guess that was a mistake to think that.

and you should understand that the polity of the UCC gives total autonomy to each and every congregation to decide this AND EVERY theological issue that faces them. I have absolutely NO idea how my church will decide to deal with the changes in Maine law. I will add my voice, but the congregation - not me - will decide whether we will allow and sanction gay marriage in our sanctuary. I will abide by their decision in this matter.

Last edited:
Exactly what it expected to, hoped to, feared to or any other motivation for creating fantasyland in your head.

If you're claiming that you have witnessed hell and people being thrown into it for not thinking like you do and fearing homos, alrighty then.

But, uh, either you're a liar or you're nuts. Either way, you're selling an antiquated, outdated, unenlightened, rancid produce. But cool, go through life fearing gay people and enjoyment while worshipping vindictive, hateful, unimaginably cruel gods who torture good people forever for not sucking their cocks. Just don't force it down the rest of our throats.
Gee, I was talking about Massachusetts. I haven't been there in a while, it sounds like its really gone downhill.

So maineman, are you going to answer my simple question? How does the UCC justify its stance that homosexuality is not a sin?

So maineman, are you going to answer my simple question? How does the UCC justify its stance that homosexuality is not a sin?

The same way you justify bringing a poster from another board ( that ya wished dead many times) he won't and can't justify it SM, he is talk en in riddles

The same way you justify bringing a poster from another board ( that ya wished dead many times) he won't and can't justify it SM, he is talk en in riddles
I've asked him for UCC's written policy on it and he can't produce it. They give Christians a bad name with this type of hypocrisy and political correctness.

I find it really quite interesting that you would give your uncritical support for RSR who ALWAYS posts links without comment...and then come at me, who hardly ever does that, when I post one link that very eloquently describes the debate within the ecumenical protestant community about this incredibly complex and difficult issue. I am not a graduate of divinity school and I struggle with biblical exegesis daily. The link that I provided discusses the ongoing conversation of people of faith trying to put the words of the bible into the context of the world that existed when they were written... and how we struggle to interpret them in the different world of today. I am sorry that I cannot reduce a complex issue into a soundbite for you. I would think that, if you can carry on a friendly conversation with RSR who uses the words of others extensively, that you might be able to do so on this one occasion with me. I guess that was a mistake to think that.

and you should understand that the polity of the UCC gives total autonomy to each and every congregation to decide this AND EVERY theological issue that faces them. I have absolutely NO idea how my church will decide to deal with the changes in Maine law. I will add my voice, but the congregation - not me - will decide whether we will allow and sanction gay marriage in our sanctuary. I will abide by their decision in this matter.

1. you're a liar, rsr does NOT always post links without comment

2. if you can't discuss this in your own words, you have no business ever telling someone else what they can or cannot discuss in their own words

3. it is quite clear you cannot justify your beliefs with any rational of YOUR own opinion or thoughts. you fully abdicate your conscience to whatever your church dogma tells you. you cannot form your own opinion.

you railed against me when i would not answer you if waterboarding in that instance was torture as no court ruled on it and i did not have all the facts so i said i could not answer such a question. you called me a coward and other unsavory names, chased me around the thread numerous times taunting me and insulting me to answer you.

you are the biggest hypocrite i have ever met. the bible texts are clear and your unwillingness to address even one verse tells me all i need to know, that being, i do not need to know anything about any spiritual matters from you.

Back