Why do Christians believe in Jesus when He's NOWHERE in the Hebrew Bible?

In most varieties of Christianity I am aware of, the Old Testament, aka Hebrew Bible, is really only theologically important in the sense that it prophesizes the coming of Jesus, it has some divinely inspired universal moral maxims like the ten commandments, and it has an origin story which is obviously metaphorical as interpreted through modern minds.

If you are prioritizing and elevating an obscure passage in Ecclesiastes exhorting violence over the moral maxims of the Sermon on the Mount, I don't think you are acting genuinely Christian

There's old testament prophecy that hasn't come true yet!
The Old Testament is just as important today as it ever was

In most varieties of Christianity I am aware of, the Old Testament, aka Hebrew Bible, is really only theologically important in the sense that it prophesizes the coming of Jesus, it has some divinely inspired universal moral maxims like the ten commandments, and it has an origin story which is obviously metaphorical as interpreted through modern minds.

If you are prioritizing and elevating an obscure passage in Ecclesiastes exhorting violence over the moral maxims of the Sermon on the Mount, I don't think you are acting genuinely Christian

Define "genuinely Christian"

Define "genuinely Christian"

In belief, align with some version of the Nicene or Apostle's creed,

And in deed, attempt to emulate the life of Jesus by consistently practicing compassion, charity, mercy, humility.

Examples: Martin Luther King, Jr., Jimmy Carter, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Francis of Assisi.

Jesus is the guy who rebuilds transmissions in Chelsea.
His brother Rafael is an expert on valve jobs.
Was also good with carbs when cars had them.

People like their work, but don't look to the Hebrew Bible for proof of their existence.
They just show up with broken fucking cars.

In belief, align with some version of the Nicene or Apostle's creed,

And in deed, attempt to emulate the life of Jesus by consistently practicing compassion, charity, mercy, humility.

Examples: Martin Luther King, Jr., Jimmy Carter, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Francis of Assisi.

Square one is having the Holy Spirit, without that you're not a Christian as defined by Jesus

God knows what pos we are! That's why he went to the cross and took the blame.

Yeah, but something tells me that one can't REALLY "have the Holy SPirit" and continue to go out of their way to be a hateful bastard. A lot of nominal "Christians" on this forum seem to revel in that. One poster gilds his posts with bible verses and then proceeds to bear false witness and be one of the most horrible people on this forum.

God FREELY GRANTS his Grace, but we have to actually know we NEED IT. And being a complete and utter douche and lying non-stop indicates that some "Christians" are pretty sure they don't actually "need" Grace, they think they have it locked down.

Yeah, but something tells me that one can't REALLY "have the Holy SPirit" and continue to go out of their way to be a hateful bastard. A lot of nominal "Christians" on this forum seem to revel in that. One poster gilds his posts with bible verses and then proceeds to bear false witness and be one of the most horrible people on this forum.

God FREELY GRANTS his Grace, but we have to actually know we NEED IT. And being a complete and utter douche and lying non-stop indicates that some "Christians" are pretty sure they don't actually "need" Grace, they think they have it locked down.

Sure they can! Only difference is before you have the Holy Spirit you choose what you think is right or wrong!
After the Holy Spirit you know right from wrong,but your flesh is still infected with original sin!
And you have a constant battle between flesh and Spirit!
Sometimes the Spirit wins,sometimes the flesh wins.

Sure they can! Only difference is before you have the Holy Spirit you choose what you think is right or wrong!
After the Holy Spirit you know right from wrong,but your flesh is still infected with original sin!
And you have a constant battle between flesh and Spirit!
Sometimes the Spirit wins,sometimes the flesh wins.

Flesh wins on this forum. Almost every single time.

I don't get involved with organized religion

Jesus and Paul, the two most important people in Christianity, strongly believed in ministry, organization, churches and communities of the faithful.

I don't think they meant for people to sit at home on their couch thinking about the holy spirit.

The Nicene Creed or the Apostle's Creed is the most fundamental and important declaration of what a Christian believes in. It is shocking that anyone who claims to be Christian would be unaware of it.

Back