Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm scared of the government

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I'm scared I won't be adequate without one

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
fear.jpg

why are you so afraid of guns?

You're not stationed in J-Ville NC then.

Nope, that's the land of PAC clerks and other assorted bitch MOS's and their version of basic training...I've got a friend who's a 1st Sgt of one of the basic training companies right now though (what they do when it gets out of hand is replace all the non combat arms leadership with combat arms leadership), when he's not training up for Iron Man competitions he's out hiking or blazing trails. He's spent most of his time in the 82nd or the 75th's operational or training battalions...he doesn't own a single personal firearm, I always have to lend him one of my shotguns when we go duck hunting - last I checked, I don't think he gives a fuck that he's in Jacksonville, he's not gonna by a gun for home defense.

Not if you're concerned with over penetration.

With #9 birdshot? Not really.

You eem to think that your situation is applicaple to all situations. It's not.

You asked, I answered. I'm not gonna post for the entire populace.

And if that is your only concern and the Howa meets your needs, based on your criteria, and your analysis, fine. But don't think that you are the only one who is right.

It's not even about right or wrong...other than than by "right" being the right tool for the job that is.

Last edited:
To remove a non-native, invasive species from an area in which they are doing harm to the environment, killing pets, and killing small livestock. (didn't I say that already?)

Environment? What area in the US has non native coyotes? Are you Canadian? From the most northern parts of Newfoundland? Where are you from that coyotes aren't a native species?

You ever think that by removing the predators you're fucking up the ecosystem? If they're healthy, like you posted they were - then the chance of them being overpopulated is slim to none...how're they doing harm to the environment? Were they reintroduced in your area? That's been a trend in some areas lately is why I ask.

There are ways to keep coyotes away from your pets and small livestock without killing them with AR-15's.

Environment? What area in the US has non native coyotes? Are you Canadian? From the most northern parts of Newfoundland? Where are you from that coyotes aren't a native species?

You ever think that by removing the predators you're fucking up the ecosystem? If they're healthy, like you posted they were - then the chance of them being overpopulated is slim to none...how're they doing harm to the environment? Were they reintroduced in your area? That's been a trend in some areas lately is why I ask.

There are ways to keep coyotes away from your pets and small livestock without killing them with AR-15's.

I live in the southeastern US. They are not native to this part of the country, but have extended their range over the last 100 years or so. The red fox is endangered largely due to competition with this non-native species. Also the population of a number of ground nesting birds have plummeted in recent decades.

Even if I chose to go to lengths to prevent access to my pets, many farmers are losing goats and fowl to coyotes at a rate they never did to other native predators. And if I do that, there is still the damage to the environment.

Also, as I said in an earlier post, I sold the AR several years ago. But it was an excellent coyote rifle.

I live in the southeastern US. They are not native to this part of the country, but have extended their range over the last 100 years or so. The red fox is endangered largely due to competition with this non-native species. Also the population of a number of ground nesting birds have plummeted in recent decades.

Ah geez, the once fabled red wolf which is now extinct in much of the Southeast, over time the coyote has filled that void, at the end of the day it's more beneficial having coyotes around if there are no other or very few predators.

Even if I chose to go to lengths to prevent access to my pets, many farmers are losing goats and fowl to coyotes at a rate they never did to other native predators. And if I do that, there is still the damage to the environment.

What damage to the environment? The red fox? Isn't the red fox a non-native species to the Southeastern U.S. as well? Coyotes control other species, not kill them out of existence - they'll balance out ecosystems more than harm them.

Sometimes it's just a matter of putting up a fence or get a few Queensland blue heelers (cattle dogs) to work the yard...the purer the breed the better off you'll be, the worst thing that'll happen is that one of 'em might get knocked up (part of the makeup of Queensland blue heelers are Dingos, thus they're susceptible to breeding with the coyote, however it'll rarely happen), all in all they do well to ward off any coyotes from coming onto or near your property.

Where I'm from, it's the farmers who'll get pissed off if you shoot the coyotes more than anyone else - even the dairy fellas won't fuck with 'em. The farmers and ranchers used to give all the high school kids (myself included) all the beer we could drink and all the ammo we could carry to go spotlight jackrabbits, kill them by the hundreds on any given night - then take the dead rabbits and toss them into the alfalfa or corn fields so the coyotes would move into that area, mopping up what rabbits are leftover (which were a whole lot more than the few hundred we could kill in night) in the process.

Also, as I said in an earlier post, I sold the AR several years ago. But it was an excellent coyote rifle.

To each his or her own, I think it's more silly than anything else though.

Ah geez, the once fabled red wolf which is now extinct in much of the Southeast, over time the coyote has filled that void, at the end of the day it's more beneficial having coyotes around if there are no other or very few predators.

What damage to the environment? The red fox? Isn't the red fox a non-native species to the Southeastern U.S. as well? Coyotes control other species, not kill them out of existence - they'll balance out ecosystems more than harm them.

Sometimes it's just a matter of putting up a fence or get a few Queensland blue heelers (cattle dogs) to work the yard...the purer the breed the better off you'll be, the worst thing that'll happen is that one of 'em might get knocked up (part of the makeup of Queensland blue heelers are Dingos, thus they're susceptible to breeding with the coyote, however it'll rarely happen), all in all they do well to ward off any coyotes from coming onto or near your property.

Where I'm from, it's the farmers who'll get pissed off if you shoot the coyotes more than anyone else - even the dairy fellas won't fuck with 'em. The farmers and ranchers used to give all the high school kids (myself included) all the beer we could drink and all the ammo we could carry to go spotlight jackrabbits, kill them by the hundreds on any given night - then take the dead rabbits and toss them into the alfalfa or corn fields so the coyotes would move into that area, mopping up what rabbits are leftover (which were a whole lot more than the few hundred we could kill in night) in the process.

To each his or her own, I think it's more silly than anything else though.

From: http://www.aces.edu/forestry/awdm/mammals/coyotes.php

"Coyotes pose no direct threat to humans, but their presence can be detrimental for farmers, ranchers, and wildlife like quail and wild turkeythat build their nests on the ground. When coyote damage becomes a problem that cannot be managed preventatively, they must be exterminated. Relocation is not an option, as this only serves to move a nuisance from one area to another. In Alabama, there is no closed trapping season for coyotes on private land if you have the landowner’s permission and the trapping is not for commercial purposes."

Leave the coyotes, foxes, bob cats, etc. alone....I have a tiny bit of habitat that I leave alone for the wild things because they have no where else to live. I'm amazed at some of the animals that live (rest, reproduce) here...some of them (young ones) I see dead on the road and I don't understand how someone can't slow the fuck down to avoid a big snapping turtle or slowly drive by and leave it alone...but people are nasty and want to kill things, fuckers.

Oh my, people won't offer justifications for enjoying a constitutionally protected right? How dare they!

Ok, you want reasons?

I hunt. I hunt big game, small game, fowl, and varmints. Those all require different sorts of firearms.

I enjoy target shooting. I find the challenge of putting a single .22 caliber bullet in a small space at increasingly longer distances to be a great hobby.

I live in a rural area where the response times of law enforcement are rather long. I refuse to accept that my family must be a victim simply because of my address.

I live in a rural area and have pets. Raccoons, coyotes and feral dogs would love to make a meal of my wife's miniature dachund.

I live in a sparsely populated rural area. In times of disastors we are a lower priority for assistance. That means a greater threat of looters ect.

We had a neighbor who allowed their pitbulls to run loose.
One day my grandkids told me that the dogs had killed one of my cats.
Went outside and the dogs were still worrying the carcase.
I called the local PD, explained the problem, and was told that since the cat was dead that there was no longer any inement danger and they would send an officer to take my statement, when they had the time.
I then told them that since the dogs had shown that they were dangerous, that if they came back on my property and I thought that they were a danger to my grandchildren or my animals; that I would shoot them.
The dispatcher tried to tell me that I couldn't do that and I informed her that under AZ State Law, I had to the legal right to protect my property, my pets, and my family; if I felt their safety was being threatened.
An Officer was there, within 5 minutes.

There's more to the story; but while showing the Officer where the two dogs lived, one of them charged the Officer and died from a single shot threw the eye.

I have another similar story; but I'll save it.

Leave the coyotes, foxes, bob cats, etc. alone....I have a tiny bit of habitat that I leave alone for the wild things because they have no where else to live. I'm amazed at some of the animals that live (rest, reproduce) here...some of them (young ones) I see dead on the road and I don't understand how someone can't slow the fuck down to avoid a big snapping turtle or slowly drive by and leave it alone...but people are nasty and want to kill things, fuckers.

Government Program Slaughters Coyotes by the Tens of Thousands

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/magazines/2012/03-04/coyotes_under_fire_a.html

you were saying?

We grew up using coyotes to kill jack rabbits to stop 'em from eating our alfalfa fields, so too did most of the other ranchers in Norther Nevada/California - I've seen locals get their shit pushed in for killing coyotes.

If you're in a city I suppose, if you're in the suburbs then it's give and take - I would want some around to control some of the other species' populations from getting out of hand the way nature had originally intended...

When I lived in Nebraska, coyote hunting was allowed year around and during the winter large hunts were done.
At that time, it was a $1 per ear bounty.

From: http://www.aces.edu/forestry/awdm/mammals/coyotes.php

"Coyotes pose no direct threat to humans, but their presence can be detrimental for farmers, ranchers, and wildlife like quail and wild turkeythat build their nests on the ground. When coyote damage becomes a problem that cannot be managed preventatively, they must be exterminated. Relocation is not an option, as this only serves to move a nuisance from one area to another. In Alabama, there is no closed trapping season for coyotes on private land if you have the landowner’s permission and the trapping is not for commercial purposes."

Alabama? Your Georgian neighbors to the east made sure to include this quote "BENEFITS, Overall, the coyote is a largely misunderstood creature and despite its nuisance reputation proves to be an asset in maintaining the balance of wildlife in Georgia" on their state wildlife resources website.

Alabama did best Georgia a few weeks ago, don't tell me I'm gonna have to look up Texas (A&M) and coyotes being beneficial to the environment rather than harmful to get my point across...

At the end of the day though, if they're healthy and there are no signs of depredation you're probably better off having a few in your area...it's Alabama, it's funny that the website you linked had to include BBQ grills, that's kinda like a clue if you ask me.

Congrats on where ever it is you live. But in the southeast they are an invasive species doing serious harm to the environment, killing pets and slaughtering small livestock. We shoot them every chance we get. Not only do I not get any threats of violence, I have been offered pay for what I do.

About 14 years ago, I used to work for the Arizona Cotton Council.
We were responsible for putting out boll weevil traps, on every 40 acres of cotton that was planted, throughout the State.
Talking to a farmer one day and he started complaining about the explosion of ground squirrels that were undermining the canal roads and the canals.

He said that the coyotes didn't bother hunting them anymore; because all the wolves were gone.
When their were still wolves around; the wolves would kill coyotes, if the caught them, so the coyotes had to be really careful how long they stayed out in the open.
\Since the wolves were gone; the coyotes had nothing to fear and instead of going after ground squirrels and rabbits, they were instead spending large amounts of time looking for larger kills.
These kills included dogs, cats, lambs, colts, calves. etc.
He went on to say that while they might lose a few animals to the wolves, it was usually the larger older livestock or those that were sick; but no way did they lose as many as they were to the coyotes.

Since coyotes have nothing to fear, except for humans, they have moved into every place they can. They've been spotted in New York; where they pretty much can live off of the garbage.

If you have $3,600 to drop on a varmint rifle (before you buy the scope), then go for the DGV. I picked up the Bushmaster for a little over $700 about 8 years ago, and probably spent another $250 getting it like I wanted it. It carried well, was not too heavy, was very accurate, and I had a few occasions to get two coyotes in one calling.

When I was 13 or 14 years old, I used to hunt coyotes with a single shot .22 bolt action rifle.
I would go out where they had been seen, hide myself in some brush, and wait for a good clean head shot.
With a single shot, you learn real quick to be patient.

Back