ZOGBY: McCain Takes 5-Point Lead Over Obama

How is race a factor when he's LOSING support?

Losing support implies that he had it and is losing it. Did those who previously supported him suddenly become racists?

That is the argument that her hypothesis is unable to overcome.

Obama at one point had over 50% favorability rating. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that some of those supporters saw a picture and said "ZOMG he's black?" and changed their vote.

So that means something else is happening. The media barrage explains a lot of his decrease in favorability ratings.

I argue that it is simply because he was an unknown commodity.

I read the other day that Kerry himself wanted to hit back at the swiftvets hard as soon as the 1st ad ran, but that the consensus among his advisors was that they should just let it play out & disappear, and he reluctantly took their advice.

Obama's general response seems to be to ridicule the attacks from McCain as barely worthy of response; when I actually hear him making fun of an attack, I think it's kind of funny, and part of me even thinks that kind of dismissiveness might work. But I don't think that plays to most people, and probably reinforces the "elitist" thing with many.

Politics is dirty & hard-hitting; people say they want issues & clean campaigns, but vote for whoever has the least # of deep bruises at the end. It would be great to see Obama tear into McCain at this point, but I don't think it's going to happen.

yeah, but those dismissive remarks are probably heard by 1/10 of the people that are bombarded with Mccain's attack ads.

I don't think it will be Biden. Call it a gut feeling or whatever I have no compelling reason for it but I just don't think it will be him.

Given the democratics party's propensity to shoot its self in the foot, I'm guessing he'll suprise everyone and pick Cheney.

Obama at one point had over 50% favorability rating. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that some of those supporters saw a picture and said "ZOMG he's black?" and changed their vote.

So that means something else is happening. The media barrage explains a lot of his decrease in favorability ratings.

Well, I've already posted about 50 times that I think it's due to the more easily demonized image of a black man with a Muslim sounding name, as opposed to a white guy named Dave.

But, let's be clear, is it your claim, and bac's claim, that there is ONE reason for the change in polling and that reason is soley that he is losing the left?

I don't know smart people who think that many things have only one explanation, that's widely viewed as very simplistic thinking, so I'm very interested in nailing you two down on this.

If he doesn't pick Biden, he better pick Hillary, and Onceler and Tiana too bad about you! I am not going to look at and listen to McCain for four years just because you don't like Hillary, sorry, it is no contest. ......

:p

Sorry. I can't and don't trust that woman as far as I could throw her. I think you're going soft because you're thinkign about the prospect of Bayh(sp?)

I don't think it has to do with race as much as some other things added up. I do believe there are some people that are stupid enough to say "hmmmm maybe his birth certficate IS FAKE!1" etc . . .

Also I think characterizing him as aloof and elitest has made him lose support in some areas. Is it really a coincidence this coincides with Mccains relentless attacks the last few weeks? It's not all about his base leaving him.

I'm with you. The unknown commodity really helped him at the begining because he really was different and a breath of fresh air etc. etc. Over time as people have gotten to know him more he looks more and more like a regular politician. Now that doesn't mean he still can't represent hope and change and people can still like him its just that initial glow sort of disappears during a long campaign process.

I don't think it has to do with race as much as some other things added up. I do believe there are some people that are stupid enough to say "hmmmm maybe his birth certficate IS FAKE!1" etc . . .

Also I think characterizing him as aloof and elitest has made him lose support in some areas. Is it really a coincidence this coincides with Mccains relentless attacks the last few weeks? It's not all about his base leaving him.

Exactly. And why do people actually believe his birth certificate might be fake? Because he's not a white guy named dave that's why!

I'm with you. The unknown commodity really helped him at the begining because he really was different and a breath of fresh air etc. etc. Over time as people have gotten to know him more he looks more and more like a regular politician. Now that doesn't mean he still can't represent hope and change and people can still like him its just that initial glow sort of disappears during a long campaign process.

or more simplistically, he had no where to go but down.

One of my friends saw a picture of him without his hand to over heart (he was apparently a little lax in doing so whenever the national anthem was about to stat playing) and decided that he was a satanic Hussein terrorist and wouldn't vote for him.

Well, I've already posted about 50 times that I think it's due to the more easily demonized image of a black man with a Muslim sounding name, as opposed to a white guy named Dave.

But, let's be clear, is it your claim, and bac's claim, that there is ONE reason for the change in polling and that reason is soley that he is losing the left?

I don't know smart people who think that many things have only one explanation, that's widely viewed as very simplistic thinking, so I'm very interested in nailing you two down on this.

No. It sounded a lot like you were claiming that about race, though.

Obama's Margin of Error in the Polls - Just Plain Politics!

If Obama loses, there will be all kinds of hand-wringing about how he was "too young" or "untested," or "too exotic," or had too many controversial "friends," or alienated his base w/ the rush to the middle, or whatever.

If Obama loses, given the current political climate, it's because he's black. Period.

I 100% agree with this.

No. It sounded a lot like you were claiming that about race, though.

http://justplainpolitics.com/showthread.php?t=13235

LOL

The fact is that I do believe race is going to be the deciding factor. I believe the negative attacks are working because his name is Barack Obama, and he's black. I do believe he's losing some support on the left, but I think most of it due to just this. I have no way of proving it, but I know too many white people, normally democrats, who won't vote for him. Why? It's not becasue they love McCain.

One of my friends saw a picture of him without his hand to over heart (he was apparently a little lax in doing so whenever the national anthem was about to stat playing) and decided that he was a satanic Hussein terrorist and wouldn't vote for him.

I get emails from people who I thought were sane, telling me that Obama refuses to salute the flag, whatever in hell that means. I never got stuff like that about Kerry. I told you guys what was in my work mailbox yesterday. Now that person got reamed, but the fact is...that's what is going around. And in the picture in my mailbox, Obama was in Muslim garb.

Of course you're with him Cawacko, you are the other side of bac's coin. You can't believe that there is enough racism to affect an actual election, because your ideology told you that the free market had cured all of that. And bac has to believe that race isn't a factor because he needs to believe that the left in this country is large enough to effect a race, and stupid enough to throw it to McCain.

Back