30 "American" Versions Of Foods That Gross Out Non-Americans

Ok let’s keep in mind that there are traditional American foods the rest of the world fucks up;

Meatloaf. Something I thought was so simple to make that no one could screw it up. Traveling abroad has proven me wrong. They can and do fuck it up. They either grind the meat to fine, add to much bland fillers, mix it with ground pork so it’s swimming in grease or stuffing them with hard boiled eggs (worst meat loaf ever! Not a good combo).

Corn on the cob. What most countries call sweet corn we call hog feed. Never, ever had good sweet corn outside the US.

Hamburgers. Even when traveling abroad the only half assed decent burger you can get is at an American fast food joint. For a great burger made simple but right you gotta come back home.

Bacon. British and Canadian back bacon and Asian style roast pork belly are excellent but they just don’t hold a candle to the crisp, rich umami flavor of American smoked bacon.

Apple pie. There are a wonderful variety of apple pastries around the world and most are all horse and no cattle. That is too much pastry and not enough apples. So for the absolute best apple pastry American apple pie can’t be beat and it can’t be imitated.

BBQ. Lots of BBQ around the world in food markets and street food everywhere but they almost all have the same flaw. They don’t know how to smoke it low and slow. Best BBQ in the world is in the South East US bar none. Props to Puerto Rican’s and Filipinos. Lechon is almost as good but everyone else fucks BBQ up.

I consider it my lifelong vocation to get you to differentiate between too and to, been trying for ten years now!! As for bacon I sent you some seriously good dry cured British back bacon, obviously not enough nitrites to satisfy you! Umami shamami!

As for apple pie, there is no finer apple in the whole world than a Granny Smith, you Septics are truly deprived.

As for burgers you may have a point, but I can't help thinking that Big Burger and Big Pharma are in league together.

Last edited:
Why what? The Japanese have a serious food culture. i mean, holy shit, it takes 10 years to learn how to cut up a fugu fish without killing your customers!!

So, again. Why?

When you say something must be done this way, or it cannot be done that way, there is a why to that argument.

Why do the Japanese say you never mix wasabi in with soy.

Tradition and culture are not an answer unless you uncover the argument for why it is a cultural thing.

Is this tradition or culture based upon one single individuals personal taste in the past and has then been cemented into a "do or don't" cultural tradition?

What makes that person or that culture right or superior to someone who does put wasabi in soy?

So, again. I ask.

Why?

I consider it my lifelong vocation to get you to differentiate between too and to, been trying for ten years now!! As for bacon I sent you some seriously good dry cured British back bacon, obviously not enough nitrites to satisfy you! Umami shamami!

As for apple pie, there is no finer apple in the whole world than a Granny Smith, you Septics are truly deprived.

As for burgers you may have a point, but I can't help thinking that Big Burger and Big Pharma are in league together.

Sorry Tom. I’ve had a cold for 9 days now and been in quarantine for 8 as COVID-19 risk. Not feeling any worse but not getting better. I sure as hell hope it’s not COVID as, generally speaking, it’s at the ten day to two week time frame that symptoms can take a turn for the worse. In other words I feel to crappy to care about proper spelling or grammar at the moment.

Well as I said the Back Bacon you sent me was excellent. No knock on that but what’s a cancer and heart attack risk compared to smoked bacon? Mmmmm

I love Granny Smith apples too. Those and Fuji apples are my favorite eating varieties. As for Granny Smith apples, They’re sour for pies. The my hold up well to cooking but are a bit too sour for pies. Jonathan’s are way better as they are crisp, hold up to cooking well and have a better balance of sweet with a touch of sour. It also helps that the variety was bred here in Ohio and are commonly grown in back yards for both eating and cooking.

As for your comments on hamburgers...that wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

Sorry Tom. I’ve had a cold for 9 days now and been in quarantine for 8 as COVID-19 risk. Not feeling any worse but not getting better. I sure as hell hope it’s not COVID as, generally speaking, it’s at the ten day to two week time frame that symptoms can take a turn for the worse. In other words I feel to crappy to care about proper spelling or grammar at the moment.

Well as I said the Back Bacon you sent me was excellent. No knock on that but what’s a cancer and heart attack risk compared to smoked bacon? Mmmmm

I love Granny Smith apples too. Those and Fuji apples are my favorite eating varieties. As for Granny Smith apples, They’re sour for pies. The my hold up well to cooking but are a bit too sour for pies. Jonathan’s are way better as they are crisp, hold up to cooking well and have a better balance of sweet with a touch of sour. It also helps that the variety was bred here in Ohio and are commonly grown in back yards for both eating and cooking.

As for your comments on hamburgers...that wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

Sorry to hear about that man, get well soon.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/best-apples-for-apple-pie/

Last edited:
Fun to read, and mostly true;) I do love a sandwich made with a good croissant, though....

I actually looked to see who cine was........ Obviously a nobody........ The croissant (The crescent) isn't French & I doubt food sgt cine is either........

French fries in sour cream & shrimp in my Pho, but I draw the line there..:mad: lol

Do you have Cornish pasties over there, I really miss them in Thailand. Maybe a business opportunity there?

http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/about-the-pasty/make-your-own-genuine-cornish-pasty/

Could be........:)

Best pastries I had in Sacramento were made by a Viet French Baker....... You had to get there early if you wanted the specials.. he would only make about 200 or so of something, because he wanted to............. Best beef Wellington I ever had........:cool::cool::cool:

Back in the day my mom would fry them but they would not be like the hard corn (chips) like they sell now..........

I was a fryer at Taco Bell when I was a teenager. Fresh fried taco shells were superior to pre-packed taco shells they use today.

Back