APP - America is fat

Not for the engineering degree. Babes seem to be attracted to guys that are going to have several attractive job offers before they graduate. In fact, I started my first "real" job nearly before my last final exams, and I moved from a dorm room to the campus hotel and worked ten hour shifts seven days per week. It was a nice salary, plus rent and a per diem. During my first break at that stint I bought a my first new car. :)
Un Huh and you were probably getting about as much lady action as 3D! :pke:

Bring your bike on out to CO.... The 2010 Triple Bypass is only 11 months away.
huh? You're either talking about open heart surgery or a ride with some serious eleveation climb? I think hills are my concesion to age. I can't do them nearly as well as I used to.

Are you a cyclist SF?

Last edited:
I used to, but once you kick the habit, then it just gets disgusting to see all the grease and crap that goes into frying foods.
To true. I have been on macrobiotic diets when I was in serious training to race 10 years ago and when you're at an elevated level of fitness it's amazing how our body is repulsed by things like fried, processed and sugary food. Unfortunately bad habits sure are easy to back slide into. LOL

To true. I have been on macrobiotic diets when I was in serious training to race 10 years ago and when you're at an elevated level of fitness it's amazing how our body is repulsed by things like fried, processed and sugary food. Unfortunately bad habits sure are easy to back slide into. LOL

True. It is can be easy to slip back into them. I imagine it is like smoking a cigarette for a former smoker. They have 'just one'... that becomes 'just one more'... that turns into 'F me, I am a smoker again'.

There is a reason CO is the leanest state. Very very active in the outdoor lifestyle. Add to that the education level here is high... which helps with the understanding of eating more nutritious meals etc....

Yeah, its a nice little ride.... one day, 120 miles, 10300 feet of climbing. Toughest ride I have done....

http://www.teamevergreen.org/sites/default/files/TripleBypassRouteMap2009_0.pdf
Na I'm not nearly fit enough to do that. Particularly at elevation as I've never ridden at elevation. Toughest ride I've ever done was the two day Columbus Fall Challenge. which is 107 miles and 6,000+ feet of eleveation climb each day in piedmont country. Nothing like the mountains out there but all the hills they hit are short climbs with 7 to 10% grades, one right after the other. It's brutal. I've done the "Assault on Mt. Mitchell" ride and CFC (particularly the second day) is harder.

Toughest ride I ever did was a double century ride that had 6,000 ft of climing, which granted isn't to bad for a double century but we got hit with 25 mph gusting head winds the last 60 miles. It took me 8 hours to do the first 140 miles and 5 more to do the last 60. I think I ate over 10,000 calories that day and still lost about 6 lbs....and that was afther I rehydrated.

True. It is can be easy to slip back into them. I imagine it is like smoking a cigarette for a former smoker. They have 'just one'... that becomes 'just one more'... that turns into 'F me, I am a smoker again'.

There is a reason CO is the leanest state. Very very active in the outdoor lifestyle. Add to that the education level here is high... which helps with the understanding of eating more nutritious meals etc....
Oh yea. You're right about the smoking. I quit smoking in 1992 after 15 years of smoking. Last year I lit a cigerette for a friend and it was the first time I had a cigerette in my mouth since 1992. It's was a bizarre feeling, like I had never quite smoking. It freaked me out. I won't try that stunt again.

Yeah, its a nice little ride.... one day, 120 miles, 10300 feet of climbing. Toughest ride I have done....

http://www.teamevergreen.org/sites/default/files/TripleBypassRouteMap2009_0.pdf
JESUS CHRIST! That's 3 Cat 1 climbs at between 8,000 and 12,000 ft? I don't think I could possibly get fit enough for that ride training here in Ohio! LOL Not unless I buy a barometric chabmer and train in it.

So what sort of bike do you ride? I'm a retro-grouch. I have a custom steel Paramount with ultegra components.

JESUS CHRIST! That's 3 Cat 1 climbs at between 8,000 and 12,000 ft? I don't think I could possibly get fit enough for that ride training here in Ohio! LOL Not unless I buy a barometric chabmer and train in it.

So what sort of bike do you ride? I'm a retro-grouch. I have a custom steel Paramount with ultegra components.

I have a Bianchi Veloce 2006. Love that bike. Have about 7000 miles on it.

The Triple is a tough ride, but they get participants from all 50 states plus some international riders that do it. The rides you mentioned should get you in shape for the climbing aspect. The altitude you would just need to plan a couple days out here ahead of time to get used to it. The fastest riders (damn little bastards) knock the ride out in about 6 hours of ride time. The first year I did it in 7 1/2. The second year I was on pace for 7, heading into the last 25 miles (which is the fun downhill portion) and blew out my back tire. I was on the ground in a heartbeat. Shredded my leg, wrecked my bike.

I have a Bianchi Veloce 2006. Love that bike. Have about 7000 miles on it.

The Triple is a tough ride, but they get participants from all 50 states plus some international riders that do it. The rides you mentioned should get you in shape for the climbing aspect. The altitude you would just need to plan a couple days out here ahead of time to get used to it. The fastest riders (damn little bastards) knock the ride out in about 6 hours of ride time. The first year I did it in 7 1/2. The second year I was on pace for 7, heading into the last 25 miles (which is the fun downhill portion) and blew out my back tire. I was on the ground in a heartbeat. Shredded my leg, wrecked my bike.
A man after my own heart. Bianchi makes some of the best steel bikes in the world! That's a sweet looking ride and I love Bianchi's understated celest green paint job that say's "I came to ride, not be pretty!".

Here' s a pic from the web of a Paramount PDG 7. Mine was upgraded to ultegra sti and look pedals.

http://ibikedb.net/bikes/25379-schwinn-paramount-pdg-series-7

good steel bikes are getting harder and harder to find. I'm glad I've taken good care of mine. I hate aluminum frames.

Last edited:
I'm back to riding again but this time just for weight control and cardio to help on the tennis courts. I couldn't do what freak does when I was 30, damn sure can't do it now.

I'm back to riding again but this time just for weight control and cardio to help on the tennis courts. I couldn't do what freak does when I was 30, damn sure can't do it now.
You'd be surprized at what you could do with some training. I went out for a ride a few weeks back. 35 miles. I sucked the wheel of the guy in front of me the whole way. He slowed down to a speed I could handle (about 19 mph) and it took us a hair under 2 hours to do the ride. The guy who's wheel I was drafting was 71 y.o.

Of course it helps if you have the right kind of bike. What ya ridden there Topper?

You'd be surprized at what you could do with some training. I went out for a ride a few weeks back. 35 miles. I sucked the wheel of the guy in front of me the whole way. He slowed down to a speed I could handle (about 19 mph) and it took us a hair under 2 hours to do the ride. The guy who's wheel I was drafting was 71 y.o.

Of course it helps if you have the right kind of bike. What ya ridden there Topper?

nothing special
a K2 road bike

Back