APP - America is fat

Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry. Ecclesiastes 8-15

I'd die if I tried 150 miles in a week
Not if you've quit smoking you wouldn't. We have a huge cycling club here in Columbus (Columbus Outdoor Pursuits) and there's tons of guys your age and older who do more. 22 miles a day is easy to do, a little more than an hour a day. It's not as hard as you think if you get into the habit of riding everyday. Most guys who work go out for an hour ride after work on weekdays (maybe a 2 hour ride once or twice during the weekday) then go for a long ride of 50 to 100 miles on Saturday followed by a short but hard ride on Sunday. 150 miles a week is easier than you think. My daily commute just get's me warmed up by the time it's over. It's nothing and that gets me 50 miles a week. I do another 50 on Saturdays. I can get the other 50 in two rides on the weekdays after work.

but according to the charts CO folks doubled their percentage of Obese. Look out they are gaining on the rest of us.
We've implemented the new Republican weight loss program here in Ohio. It's called starvation. If you lose your job your not permitted to eat as punishment for being a burden to society.

11% unemployment in KY now.

And Bernanke says the recession is over?
We've been hammered here in Ohio. Past republican state policies have been openly hostile towards the youth of our state who have left in droves for better economic climates. Now that we need the energy and productivity of our youths the most, we don't have them. No wonder we continue to be called the rust belt. We're run by a bunch of old farts who only care about themselves.

That would be just about right for me.

3,000 ft of steady climbing, if your fit and have the right gearing, is not as bad as think. As long as the grade isn't to insane (say around 5%) you just find a gear you can manage with out blowing up and you find a rythem and just keep spining and not caring how many people pass you (you'll pass them again on the way down anways! :-).

In my experience, I find riding in Piedmont country harder then the mountains. The climbs may be shorter, but it's one right after the other on grades between 7 to 10%. Doing 100 miles in Piedmont country is harder, I think, then doing 3 major climbs with an equal amount of elevation gain.

You're problem is that your in the Delta and it's table top flat there. There's no reasonable way for you to train for hills.

I would agree. The higher grades destroy you much faster than the longer continuous climbs in that 3-5% grade.

I would agree. The higher grades destroy you much faster than the longer continuous climbs in that 3-5% grade.

Colorado killed me! I did manage to make it to Verde Mesa to see the cliff dwellings. I was so proud of myself.

Just thought I would add that little bit of froggie info!

Colorado killed me! I did manage to make it to Verde Mesa to see the cliff dwellings. I was so proud of myself.

Just thought I would add that little bit of froggie info!

Is that the ones close to Colorado Springs that the highway goes right beside?

Nope... just ride for fun and for me. Just always had a strong lower body. That combined with good cardio allows me to maintain that on flats. don't let it fool you though... my size gets me smoked on climbs.
Climbing used to be my strong suit. I was also a fairly desent trime trialist by amature standards. I could do a 40K TT in around an hour but it's been 10 years since I raced. I'm working on it though. The commuting to work has been helping me a lot.

I'd love to go to CO or UT or NM and do some riding. My cycling buddies who've gone out west have raved about them. Gorgeous scenery combined with truely technical riding.

I'd love to go to CO or UT or NM and do some riding. My cycling buddies who've gone out west have raved about them. Gorgeous scenery combined with truely technical riding.

You would love Alaska! I was also in northern Cali and they seem to do a good deal of cycling there. Wine country would be beautiful to travel through!

The Bush administration plans to make it easier for mountain bikers to gain access to national parks and other public lands before the president — an avid cyclist himself — leaves office.
[Environmental advocate Jeff] Ruch, executive director of the Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, said the proposal would open up backcountry trails to mountain bikers. Mountain bikers are blamed for erosion of trails and trampling native plants. They also disturb other park users, such as hikers, birders and horseback riders.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20081015/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_bush_mountain_biking

You must be one of those evil Republicans that likes to destroy the earth.

Ssshhh!! You weren't supposed to bring stuff like that up here. Don't you know nuthin'? :)
Why, Bush gets credit where credit is due. This is nice to know. I think it is a good thing.
Family bike trips are a great thing!

Back