College football rankings?

• Thread starter Thread starter WinterBorn
  • Start date Start date
CaW, you will like the predictions made my Stewart Mandel at Sports Illustrated.

He has predicted the following bowl matchups:

Title game: Alabama vs. USC

Rose: Iowa vs. Boise State

Fiesta: Texas vs. Georgia Tech

Sugar: Florida vs. Cincinnati

Orange: Miami vs. Penn State

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...llege.football.overtime/1.html##ixzz0UTmdl48Z
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
Naa couldn't happen. For USC to leap from Iowa, Iowa has to lose, then either PSU or OSU would be in the Rose Bowl. It Texas loses a game it will probably be to either OK ST or the conference Championship game, Either way their out of the BCS picture. Even if Boise goes undefeated I doubt they get a BCS bid over TCU. If Alabama wins out they will play either Texas, Iowa or USC.

I think a more realistic would be

Bama vs TX NCG
Iowa vs USC Rose Bowl
Cincinnati vs Georgia Tech Orange Bowl
TCU vs Penn St Fiesta Bowl
Florida vs Va. Tech Sugar Bowl

Naa couldn't happen. For USC to leap from Iowa, Iowa has to lose, then either PSU or OSU would be in the Rose Bowl. It Texas loses a game it will probably be to either OK ST or the conference Championship game, Either way their out of the BCS picture. Even if Boise goes undefeated I doubt they get a BCS bid over TCU. If Alabama wins out they will play either Texas, Iowa or USC.

I think a more realistic would be

Bama vs TX NCG
Iowa vs USC Rose Bowl
Cincinnati vs Georgia Tech Orange Bowl
TCU vs Penn St Fiesta Bowl
Florida vs Va. Tech Sugar Bowl
Hey my picks weren't to bad. Here's what the talking heads predict on Rivals.com. They difference from mine is they chose Boise over Va. Tech to play Florida.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1007579

The human polls need to be seriously de-emphasized if the BCS is to continue. Based on strength of schedule ratings here would be the rankings of the remaining undefeated teams.

#1. Iowa.
#2. Florida
#3. Texas
#4. TCU
#5. Alabama
#6. Cincinnati
#7. Boise. St.

If all teams end up undefeated (not possible Florida or Bama must lose) by the end of the season then Texas would pass Florida as having had a tougher schedule and Alabama would leap frog over TCU to #4 postion if they go undefeated, which means if the BCS polls have any credibility then Iowa and Texas should play in the NCG since they would be undefeated and have played a tougher schedule than either Florida or Alabama. This would also discourage schools from scheduling super weak non-conf schedules as Texas, Florida and Alabama have done. They should not be rewarded for this. It would also go a long way to ending the SEC mythology.

Last edited:
schedule strength is not the only factor.
You can not keep out and undefeated fla or bama
It's easy. When you have two other undefeated teams who have played a more difficult schedule then Alabama or Florida then they should play for the Championship. Teams should not be rewarded for playing a pussy schedule.
Besides, that's what you get for playing a cupcake non-conf schedule. Don't want to be left out? Play a respectable non-conf schedule. If were going to be stuck with the BCS then opinions don't mean shit. The two most important criteria should be won/loss record and strength of schedule. With won/loss record being even, strength of schedule should be the tie breaker. Mythologies should not determine champions.

Last edited:
And when you play in the sec you always play the toughest scedule.
Give me numbers, not opinions and mythology. I keep showing you the numbers that prove by wins and chamionshps that the SEC is only the third toughest conference in the nation, pretty close to the Pac 10. Combine that and ya'll are playing Div Iaa and Sunbelt teams in your non-conf schedule and it just doesn't measure up. I mean Utah laid to rest that old canard about the SEC so lets get real.

Then there is this article. Seems the big conferences are scared of little old Boise State. They even offer to come to your home and play you. But not even the mighty SEC has called them back. You hear nothing but crickets. the BCS is bullshit, Boise State could defeat a good number of the top ten teams right now.

Give me numbers, not opinions and mythology. I keep showing you the numbers that prove by wins and chamionshps that the SEC is only the third toughest conference in the nation, pretty close to the Pac 10. Combine that and ya'll are playing Div Iaa and Sunbelt teams in your non-conf schedule and it just doesn't measure up. I mean Utah laid to rest that old canard about the SEC so lets get real.

Utah played a team that wasn't ready and didn't care. I don't think that laid anything to rest.

I know everyone is looking at the struggles the two top teams in the SEC have had, but they seem to forget Iowa struggling to beat Ark State (2-5).

What I love about college ball is that on any given saturday, any team can beat any other team.

Iowa loses to a perennial patsy(Northwestern) drops 1 spot in the AP and stays at #4 in the BCS? Somebody's nuts! It says "updated 11/8", but it must be a mistake. Oregon loses to Stanford and moves up???? . Paterno, their darling loses to OSU and stays 5 places ahead of them?
People were criticizing the BCS before, but this is surreal.

Iowa loses to a perennial patsy(Northwestern) drops 1 spot in the AP and stays at #4 in the BCS? Somebody's nuts! It says "updated 11/8", but it must be a mistake. Oregon loses to Stanford and moves up???? . Paterno, their darling loses to OSU and stays 5 places ahead of them?

Hopefully there is an error in when it was updated.

The BCS has not been updated that I can tell.

At Sports Illustrated it shows updated 11/8 at the time of my post. Fla, TX, Ala, Iowa, 1,2,3,4. maybe its a joke. I'm going back there now after pinching myself to see if I'm awake.

Nope, 1,2,3,4, as stated, Iowa #4, Oregon #8, Penn St. #11, Ohio St. #16, updated 11/8, 1:36 pm. Am I in the Twilight Zone?

Nope, 1,2,3,4, as stated, Iowa #4, Oregon #8, Penn St. #11, Ohio St. #16, updated 11/8, 1:36 pm. Am I in the Twilight Zone?

Fox Sports lists them at #4 with a record of 9-1.

If that is the case it is truly fucked up.

I knew something was wrong, they now show a 6:02 update and the rankings have changed. I knew it was the Twilight Zone. They originally showed Iowa at number 4 with the correct 9-1 record, now it's TCU.

Last edited:
I knew something was wrong, they now show a 6:02 update and the rankings have changed. I knew it was the Twilight Zone. They originally showed Iowa at number 4 with the correct 9-1 record, now it's TCU.
That's because the rankings don't come out till later in the day on Sunday.

Back