Do Democrats Comprehend?

Dixie, if you express an opinion in which you state that you think this, or that, will occur, it is a prediction

In your example...

"A. I predict the Democrats will not be able to govern from the center.
B. I don't believe Democrats will be able to govern from the center. "

B is still a prediction, even if you qualify it with the word 'believe'

You are predicting that, according to your belief, the Dem won't etc etc....

If you get BILLO in another 100 post rant about whether or not his predictions are or are not predictions (and from my experience they are when he is right and aren't when he is wrong) I will have to find something else to do today.

If that is the case, then I think it is safe to say that your OPINIONS about Iraq and American politics have been dead wrong, and that you should consider that track record and the laughingstock reputation it has earned you when deciding whether or not to OPINE on such issues in the future.

Is that why the defended the Ku Klux Klan's right to march trough black neighborhoods? Is that why they defended the American Nazi Party's reight to march through the South Side of Chicago? I think you need to educate yourself about what the ACLU really stands for before writing and posting such tripe. Or better yet, just stick to telling us how "smart" you are!!!

In those instances, they showed no prejudice toward racists. I was merely giving an example, perhaps I should have more correctly said, the ACLU is prejudiced against those who violate the civil rights of others. The police are prejudiced toward criminals who are shooting at them. I am prejudiced toward cats who tear into my garbage. I think my point is made, I can give more examples of 'positive prejudices' if you like.

it is safe to say that your OPINIONS about Iraq and American politics have been dead wrong

Not exactly. I have been wrong about some things, and right about others. This happens with independent thinkers sometimes. Unlike people who think like you, and simply glom onto whatever the opinion of the day is, because the predictive track record is safe, or whatever.

In those instances, they showed no prejudice toward racists. I was merely giving an example, perhaps I should have more correctly said, the ACLU is prejudiced against those who violate the civil rights of others. The police are prejudiced toward criminals who are shooting at them. I am prejudiced toward cats who tear into my garbage. I think my point is made, I can give more examples of 'positive prejudices' if you like.

The ACLU has nothing to do with civil rights, they are a first amendment free speech group whose sole concern is the protection of the right of any and all American to say whatever they want to say regardless. Hence my claim that you don't know much about the ACLU. They are first Amendment guardians, that is what they do.

Dixie.

If I say...

"I believe that Manchester United will win the premiership this season..."

Then I am expressing my opinion and making a prediction....

The ACLU has nothing to do with civil rights, they are a first amendment free speech group whose sole concern is the protection of the right of any and all American to say whatever they want to say regardless. Hence my claim that you don't know much about the ACLU. They are first Amendment guardians, that is what they do.

Really, the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) has nothing to do with Civil Rights? Let's see, they have a stance on Prisoners' rights, Police Practices, National Security, Lesbian & Gay Rights, Racial Justice, Rights of the Poor, Reproductive Freedom, Women's Rights...

It appears you may be talking about something you didn't really know about and got all excited because you thought you could slam Dixie...

Just so you can find out this information yourself you can check it out here:

http://www.aclu.org/

On the right hand side there are links to their stances on all those issues...

an opinion which is predictive in nature is somehow not a prediction.

whatever!

In short, yes, that's what I am saying. Here, let's use Arnold's definition...
A prediction is an opinion that professes to foresee or 'predict' the future.

In order to be a "prediction" it has to be professed as foreseeing or predicting. If someone expresses a thought of what they think may or may not happen in the future, it is not a prediction, it is simply an opinion which is predictive in nature. If that same person makes a definitive claim or profession of prognostication or prediction, the opinion then becomes a "prediction."

Any opinion one has about the future, can not be defined as a "prediction" or we will be relegated to a society of bad prognosticators. We must find a way to be honest enough, and intellectually smart enough, to understand the defining difference between a prediction and an opinion. In my opinion, this rests with the intent of the author. If stated as a prognostication or prediction, it is! Otherwise, it is an opinion expressed on something that may or may not happen, depending on many other intangibles.

Really, the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) has nothing to do with Civil Rights? Let's see, they have a stance on Prisoners' rights, Police Practices, National Security, Lesbian & Gay Rights, Racial Justice, Rights of the Poor, Reproductive Freedom, Women's Rights...

It appears you may be talking about something you didn't really know about and got all excited because you thought you could slam Dixie...

Just so you can find out this information yourself you can check it out here:

http://www.aclu.org/

On the right hand side there are links to their stances on all those issues...

Here are the Stories under Prisoner's Rights at the ACLU site:

Supreme Court Strikes Michigan Law
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Michigan law denying legal representation to poor people in a criminal appeal is unconstitutional. The ACLU of Michigan filed the one of a kind case after the law was passed in 1999.

Under the law, an indigent criminal defendant who wished to challenge his sentence after pleading guilty was generally not entitled to appointed counsel, even for a first appeal. Michigan was the only state in the country that denied appointed counsel under these circumstances. Read more >>

Ensuring Young People's Access to Counsel in Ohio
The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio, ACLU National, The Children’s Law Center and the Ohio Public Defender’s Office filed a petition with the Ohio Supreme Court on March 9 calling for the court to protect children’s right to counsel when they are accused of a crime. Read more >>

Montana's Defense Bill Leads Trend
The ACLU applauds the Montana Legislature's passage of ground breaking public defender legislation that creates a new state wide office and guarantees constitutional rights to all Montanans, not just those who can afford to pay lawyers.

As you can see each and every one of these stories concerns a person's right to counsel which is their basic right to speak and be heard in a court of law. Yes, they have positions on numerous issues but they are first and foremost concerned with the protection of the first Amendment from which all other rights flow.

"As you can see each and every one of these stories concerns a person's right to counsel which is their basic right to speak and be heard in a court of law. Yes, they have positions on numerous issues but they are first and foremost concerned with the protection of the first Amendment from which all other rights flow."

Your assertion wasn't that they were "first and foremost" it was that they were concerned only with the First Amendment. Again, even with the Prisoner's treatment, it isn't all First Amendment. See, the "Right To Counsel" is the Sixth Amendment.

You can find that here:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment06/

And in case you don't want to click on it it says:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

So this idea that it is their First Amendment Right to be heard in the courts ignores the fact that it really is their Sixth Amendment Right as shown in the last sentence of it: "and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence. "

It is a specific right that has nothing to do with the First Amendment. There is a reason it is listed separately.

The ACLU fights the Death Penalty as well, which is again not the First Amendment. That one is Cruel and Unusual Punishment, and is in fact part of the Eighth Amendment. Remember how they fought to get those under 18 when committing the crime to be not subject to this one? Or retarded people?

The ADA laws in their Disability stance also has nothing to do with First Amendment.

So you can see here:

http://www.aclu.org/disability/housing/26859prs20060920.html

That they are fighting discrimination...

Also not a First Amendment Right.

Do you want me to go on? Really. The ACLU is for all Civil Liberties, not just First Amendment rights.

In order to be a "prediction" it has to be professed as foreseeing or predicting. If someone expresses a thought of what they think may or may not happen in the future, it is not a prediction, it is simply an opinion which is predictive in nature.

Oh, for fuck's sake Dixie.

"I think Manchester United will win the Premiership this season."
"I don't think that anyone will die in Iraq."
"I believe that the shop will have sold out of coke by the time I get there."

All three are expressions of opinion and predictions.

If you express your opinion as to what WILL happen, it is a prediction.

it is safe to say that your OPINIONS about Iraq and American politics have been dead wrong

Not exactly. I have been wrong about some things, and right about others. This happens with independent thinkers sometimes. Unlike people who think like you, and simply glom onto whatever the opinion of the day is, because the predictive track record is safe, or whatever.

Shiavo
US body count
nuclear option
election results
sectarian violence

refresh my memory...what have you been right about recently?

If you express it as such, you are correct. If you simply say you THINK IT WILL happen, this is entirely different. As I said, there is a clear distinction between an opinion that is predictive in nature, and a formal prediction or prognostication. Are you too intellectually incompetent to realize this distinction? Apparently, you are!

If you express it as such, you are correct. If you simply say you THINK IT WILL happen, this is entirely different. As I said, there is a clear distinction between an opinion that is predictive in nature, and a formal prediction or prognostication. Are you too intellectually incompetent to realize this distinction? Apparently, you are!

Translation: On those rare occasions when BILLO turns out to be right, it was a prediction. On the rest of the occasions when his 'opinions' turn out to be wrong they were never predictions at all. This has proved to be the case every time this conversation has come up regarding BILLO and his propensity for slipperiness. I suggest you give a phone and a luffa and set him free to pursue his real passion...

"I think Manchester United will win the Premiership this season."
"I don't think that anyone will die in Iraq."
"I believe that the shop will have sold out of coke by the time I get there."

All three are expressions of opinion and predictions.

Not unless they were expressed as such. You indicated that you predict Manchester United will win the Premiership, after your initial opinion. This made your remark a prediction or prognostication. 'I believe that the shop will have sold out of coke by the time I get there' is a statement of belief, not a prognostication at all, nor is it stated as a prediction of any possible future event. It is articulated as a belief, an opinion, a judgement, not a prediction.

Not unless they were expressed as such. You indicated that you predict Manchester United will win the Premiership, after your initial opinion. This made your remark a prediction or prognostication. 'I believe that the shop will have sold out of coke by the time I get there' is a statement of belief, not a prognostication at all, nor is it stated as a prediction of any possible future event. It is articulated as a belief, an opinion, a judgement, not a prediction.

I predict that an objective professional mental examination would identify you as an obsessive compulsive, suffering from delusions of grandeur..

Back