Drunk Rodney King Shot! BAC get yo ass over to LA and teach those Korean Store Owners

First off I want to applaud you BAC, for remaining calm and rational at a time that one would understand if you behaved in the opposite. Second, gonzo are you really so fucking dense that you don't see the diffeerence in chastising someone for their racist views and comparing that to the racist statement itself. Finally, Dano wtf man? You eat some bad rye bread? Get some raw ergot straight to the brain? How in the FUCK do you make the original statement you made and then try to come off as it NOT sounding racist. Here is your attempt at logic. Rodney king gets shot in the face by someone. The police are called. People, including King, don't cooperate with the police. So BAC, because he is black, should step and fetch his ass to LA so that he can ransack some Korean stores and start a riot? Do I have it down? Is that what you suggested? Cause, though I am but a mere white mortal, that shit sounds racist as FUCK to me. And yes Gonzo I am intollerant of racists cause Racism is a fucking choice you moron. Race is NOT. Dano at some point today got a racist feeling about him and went off on a racist rant. Then he went further to make a clarification about the difference between GOOD racism and BAD racism. That is is ok to beat a nigger so long as he's a bad nigger.

I think I love you man. :)

Thanks for writing all of the things you write on here. Not only are they beautifully written because you are a talented writer, but you bring a perspective to this board that is otherwise lacking and who knows how many eyes you might open. You have even taught me things and I have read the work of many black intellectuals so I got the idea that I already knew everything I needed to know...I'll never get that idea again! :)

I know I love you.

I do appreciate your insight my brother.

I recognize that police work is a tough and dangerous job, but citizens should not, and cannot live in fear of their own police departments .. that they pay for.

My earliest memory of being introduced to the police was being thrown into the back of a police car and having a policeman put a boot on my head to hold me down. I was 12 years old, and I was guilty of standing on the corner of the school I attended with several of my friends after school. After the four cops got done intimidating us, the cop that had his boot on my head looked down at me and said, "the next time I see 5 of you niggers together you better be dribbling a basketball." It was the first time in my life I experienced the rush of hate. My humiliation may have driven me to kill him if I had the means.

Before the riots in Detroit in 1967 there was a unit of the Detroit police called S.T.R.E.S.S, an acronym for Stop The Robberies and Enjoy Safe Streets. It should have been more appropriately called "kill every young black male you can get your hands on." Time and time again this unit would be involved in the shooting death of a 15 or 16 year old boy, and repeatedly got caught planting weapons or drugs on their victims. When the riots occured and black men started killing police officers, I was never more proud of black people in my life. We lived in a war zone and the enemy was killing us at will. I was proud that we weren't going to take it anymore. I was proud that we were fighting back.

There is a consequence for racism, and when that consequence explodes, everybody loses.

You being an Australian, have you ever seen "Rabbit Proof Fence" ? It is one of the most moving films I have ever seen. It doesn't matter how many times I've seen it, I'm going to cry at the end. It's an incredible story of aboriginal people and the british effort to "civilize" them.

Have you ever seen "Once Were Warriors" ? Fascinating study of culture.

I appreciate the insights. I can understand the resentment of anyone to a police agency that acts as if, in the words of Tony Bouza when he was in NYPD, "an occupying army." I live in a society that is pretty peaceful and without the privations of big city living - my first and only visit to Detroit (in 1984) peeled my eyes open. I'd never seen anything like it. Same goes for many cities I visited in the US over the years.

I also remember reading of the blighted reign of Chief Rizzo in Philadelphia and his creation of the Stakeout Squad (talk about taking a pile-driver to a nail) and of course his shambolic Mayoral rule and the bombing of MOVE. That bloke was a Nazi. Regardless of what MOVE was up to, Rizzo was a friggin maniac.

Yes, I saw "Rabbit Proof Fence". Incredibly sad, the ending where the surviving women were interviewed hit home hard. It was filmed in my city and parts were filmed in the outback areas I worked when I was in my twenties (although the story was set in Western Australia). We're still dealing with the legacy today of course.

AS Brendan Nelson declares he is determined to discover if he has just taken on the worst job in the world - and Kevin Rudd announces he will not be guided by his religious beliefs - the issue of Aboriginal apologies has reared up again.

The newly appointed federal opposition leader and Australia's new Prime Minster spoke out this morning, a day after Dr Nelson was chosen to head the Liberals and after Mr Rudd named his Cabinet.

But as Dr Nelson spoke out in defiance of those who believe he has been handed a poisoned chalice, his deputy Julie Bishop failed to fall in line on one of the biggest issues facing him - his decision not to say sorry to to the Stolen Generation.

Dr Nelson says he will not support Mr Rudd's plan to say sorry for past governments' removal of indigenous children from their parents.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22847292-5001021,00.html?from=mostpop

I haven't seen "Once Were Warriors" but I'm told it's powerful and there was a sequel as well that looked at similar themes such as fearsome domestic violence among Maori in New Zealand.

I - my first and only visit to Detroit (in 1984) peeled my eyes open. I'd never seen anything like it. Same goes for many cities I visited in the US over the years.

I was there for the first and only time around the same yr. and the experience was similar. I was about 7 and had never seen so many black people in my entire life - on one street. And don't take offense BAC, I was just a red neck kid from Alberta. The Huderites at the Sunday flea market were as shocking as things got back then!

I was there for the first and only time around the same yr. and the experience was similar. I was about 7 and had never seen so many black people in my entire life - on one street. And don't take offense BAC, I was just a red neck kid from Alberta. The Huderites at the Sunday flea market were as shocking as things got back then!

No offense taken.

I appreciate the insights. I can understand the resentment of anyone to a police agency that acts as if, in the words of Tony Bouza when he was in NYPD, "an occupying army." I live in a society that is pretty peaceful and without the privations of big city living - my first and only visit to Detroit (in 1984) peeled my eyes open. I'd never seen anything like it. Same goes for many cities I visited in the US over the years.

I also remember reading of the blighted reign of Chief Rizzo in Philadelphia and his creation of the Stakeout Squad (talk about taking a pile-driver to a nail) and of course his shambolic Mayoral rule and the bombing of MOVE. That bloke was a Nazi. Regardless of what MOVE was up to, Rizzo was a friggin maniac.

Yes, I saw "Rabbit Proof Fence". Incredibly sad, the ending where the surviving women were interviewed hit home hard. It was filmed in my city and parts were filmed in the outback areas I worked when I was in my twenties (although the story was set in Western Australia). We're still dealing with the legacy today of course.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22847292-5001021,00.html?from=mostpop

I haven't seen "Once Were Warriors" but I'm told it's powerful and there was a sequel as well that looked at similar themes such as fearsome domestic violence among Maori in New Zealand.

Do aboriginal people participate in all levels of government there?

Are there any restrictions on marraige or intermingling?

What is the general attitude of Australians towards the aborigines?

Do they live in Sydney and other metropolitan areas or are they mainly in the outback?

Did you go to school with them?

I apologize for my ignorance but I'm fascinated by culture and I've grown a deep concern for their plight.

Do they live in Sydney and other metropolitan areas or are they mainly in the outback?

I apologize for my ignorance but I'm fascinated by culture and I've grown a deep concern for their plight.

I have a Fijian friend that says that they aren't treated very well. I think they had some sort of riots before and I believe he mentioned that the Aussies tried to sterilize them at one point.

They can. Some do put their hand up for election. We have had aboriginal people in elected positions in state and federal parliament (on both sides of parliament). My state had an aboriginal man as governor (that's not elected as in the US, it's a vice-regal appointment by the Queen on the recommendation of the premier of the state).

blackascoal: said:

No.

It varies and the variations of course run from outright racism through to grudging acceptance of equality through to a "what's the fuss" acceptance of equality to a gushing, patronising of aboriginal people because they're so lovely. Most urban white Australians (we're an Anglo-Irish culture) don't know an aboriginal person so they work from stereotypes which is less than helpful. But those same urban white Australians for the most part only want good for aboriginal Australians. A small minority are vocally racist. Some are just ignorant, others are vicious haters. But on the whole we - and this is a gross generalisation - want to progress relations between white Australia (ie government and its functionaries) and aboriginal Australians (and I include Torres Strait Islanders, I should have done that at the beginning of my post but all previous remarks include TSI Australians as well).

blackascoal;} Do they live in Sydney and other metropolitan areas or are they mainly in the outback?[/quote said:
Both. We have populations of what are called "urbanised Aboriginals" in our cities and towns but many also live and work in rural and outback areas.

Yes, and played football with and against them.

No need to apologise BAC, I'm only happy to give my opinion (and that's all it is) and perhaps point to informative sources if there's interest.

I have a Fijian friend that says that they aren't treated very well. I think they had some sort of riots before and I believe he mentioned that the Aussies tried to sterilize them at one point.

From 1788 to now the relationship has been patchy. I can go on about for pages if pressed but I won't. I can't recall any riots involving aboriginal people, because - this is only in my experience - aren't innately aggressive, recent riots in Sydney have been perpetrated by white Australian "nationalists" (drunken dickheads with Aussie flags wrapped around themselves) and the sons (not the daughters) of Middle Eastern (usually Lebanese) immigrants.

There's been no attempt at sterilisation that I can think of. Government policy towards aboriginal people has gone through several waves since 1788 (again if anyone's interested I can provide a bit more information) but formal genocide was never a policy. It's argued by some that assimilation is a form of cultural genocide but I think that's as far as it went.

Your Fijian friend may be aware of the practice of "blackbirding" that occurred in far north Queensland in the late 19th Century - http://www.abc.net.au/gnt/history/Transcripts/s1197807.htm

Stop me before I keep babbling. It's a topic that fascinates me.

If you haven't seen "Rabbit Proof Fence" you must see it ... today.

But knowing that you have a good heart, I must warn you, it's gonna hurt.

Neither have I...how racist is it to assume I'm a white male? I could be black, asian, or latino for all you know.

There is nothing "racist" about assuming what you are. The fact that you'd call it racist tells me you ain't black, the fact that you think men are victims of sexism tells me you aren't a woman.

What's the point of this charade?

I never said there was institutional bias against white men....first of all (racist), you are assuming that I am white, and therefore you are assuming that I am talking about white men.

Secondly, just because there is no institutional bias against men does not mean that it never happens. It is sexist to claim that sexism only occurs against women (otherwise it would be called misogyny, not sexism), and it is racist to assume that I'm talking only about white men.

There's no point in whining about sexism against white men, if they don't live with it on a day to day basis, throughout the course of their lives. That is the stigma of sexism. That is the insidious nature of it. White men, as a matter of day to day life, will never be detrimentally affected by judgments about their competence, ability and judgment, based on their gender. That's a simple fact. Sexism against white men is a non-existent problem.

Women and minorities have to live with the stigma of bias on a day to day basis, throughout the course of their lives, within virtually all off the institutions of this country and in society at large.

There's no point in whining about sexism against white men,
Probably why I never said "white men"-- that has been an assumption the rest of you have made...all I said was "men".
if they don't live with it on a day to day basis, throughout the course of their lives.
Who are you to decide what another human being does or doesn't experience on a day to day basis? You are not the offense police, you cannot decide who should feel discriminated against, at what times, and in what situations.
That is the stigma of sexism.
Again (and something you haven't been able to answer, which doesn't surprise me), if sexism were only against women it would just be called misogyny....the unfortunate fact, however (for you) is that it is called sexism...implying both biological sexes as well as "third gender" sexual identities.
That is the insidious nature of it.
That it has a stigma? I thought the insidious nature of it would be its simple existence.
White men, as a matter of day to day life, will never be detrimentally affected by judgments about their competence, ability and judgment, based on their gender.
Again, you are assuming I was talking about white men only, and American culture only. Very ethnocentric.

That's a simple fact. Sexism against white men is a non-existent problem.
No, because you have no proof that it doesn't happen. It might be a rare problem, or even a negligible problem, but I assure you that it exists. However, that is neither here nor there, since I am not talking about white men....you guys really should realise that there are other males in the world (of all sorts of ethnicities!)....I'm beginning to think I'm trying to talk to the left-wing branch of the Aryan Nations.

Women and minorities have to live with the stigma of bias on a day to day basis, throughout the course of their lives, within virtually all off the institutions of this country and in society at large.

There is only a stigma if you say there is.

There is nothing "racist" about assuming what you are. The fact that you'd call it racist tells me you ain't black, the fact that you think men are victims of sexism tells me you aren't a woman.

What's the point of this charade?

You are right, you aren't being racist, you are being ethnocentric. Not very PC of you.

You are right, you aren't being racist, you are being ethnocentric. Not very PC of you.

And you sir are being a baby. What the fuck is "racist" about thinking you might be a white male?

I don't judge your comments on who or what you are, or what label you may call yourself. I'm responding to the content of what you say.

So let's assume that you're a black femininst with Mexican parents.

Now let's get back to the subject.

Back