Enceladus, Saturn's ocean world

Honest people do

It’s one of my favorite things about internets discussions

I learn so much buy just discussing and thinking of a question and searching

I have found golden information that way so many times

It’s the BEST teacher

I've read a lot of good insights over the years from the civilized, intelligent, and non-emotionally disturbed established posters who have been here.

Not what I said. You think merely posting what someone said means you understand it.

Almost all of your posts are monosyllabic single sentence drive by posts, usually peppered with insults.

And the rest are just you copying and pasting from some article.

I've never posted anything that someone who spent 40 years taking college classes, reading science journalism, books, articles, and podcasts wouldn't know if they applied themselves.

There is nobody on this board making unique, original, independent, and important contributions to human knowledge

You don't have to have a slew of college math classes under your belt to participate in a math thread. This is a discussion board.

Half the posters here are participating in threads by frantically googling for tidbits of information and then racing back to the board to pass it off as their own knowledge and thoughts.

Or, as in your case, outright saying WRONG things:

Liquid water can't exist in that phase below 0 C, so it can't be that cold.

Then claiming you know the right answer:

I'm familiar with how entropy depresses freezing point

Which makes you either a liar or a moron. I'm guessing maybe both.

Enceladus Explorer (EnEx) is a planned interplanetary orbiter and lander mission equipped with a subsurface maneuverable ice melting probe suitable to assess the existence of life on Saturn's moon Enceladus.[1]

The astrobiology Enceladus Explorer project is funded by the German Aerospace Center (DLR), and is carried out by a research consortium of seven German universities.

The lander would be equipped with the IceMole, an autonomous and maneuverable melting ice probe for clean in situ analysis and sampling of glacial ice and subglacial materials,[13] including a liquid sample from a water reservoir below the icy crust.[16] The design is based on combining melting and mechanical propulsion.[17][18] They demonstrated downward, horizontal and upward melting, as well as curve driving and dirt layer penetration

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enceladus_Explorer

If it's carbon based life, I don't see any reason it would be radically different at the cellular level than life we have observed on Earth.

On the other hand, I've heard some wild speculations about possible exotic forms of life in the liquid methane lakes of Titan.

It seems to me that if we evolved based on Earths environment, the more different aliens environment, the more different their biology. We are very much a product of Earth, they would be a product of Titan.

Your buddy (sock) Cypress said water can't exist as a liquid below 0degC. I corrected him.

Wow. Desh and Cypress could not be further from sock status. But okay.... I think that is flattering to one, less so to the other.. but heck, you go on wit' your bad self, ay?

It seems to me that if we evolved based on Earths environment, the more different aliens environment, the more different their biology. We are very much a product of Earth, they would be a product of Titan.

I generally tend to think if a planet has liquid water and carbon based organic molecules, life is going to proceed to something recognizable at the cellular level. Maybe not quite a prokaryote or eukaryote cell, but something recognizable. Otherwise, I wonder how we would even recognize it as life, especially since all we can use are robotic landers to investigate.

Wow. Desh and Cypress could not be further from sock status. But okay.... I think that is flattering to one, less so to the other.. but heck, you go on wit' your bad self, ay?

Me, Evince, you, and Jarod go back to politics.com, that's pushing almost 20 years.

I agree

Cy is much smarter and better educated than me

But I have turned out to be correct much more often than you have huh

Me, Evince, you, and Jarod go back to politics.com, that's pushing almost 20 years.

True that.

Back when Evince was Deshrubinator, and Jarod was (twice daily) Alexfla, you and I were always Cypress and Damocles respectively though.

Liquid water can't exist in that phase below 0 C, so it can't be that cold.

The watery core of Enceladus exists beneath a frozen crust, and my sense is that the interior of Enceladus is heated by gravitational tidal forces by it's orbital dynamics with Saturn

Agreed on the theory. Same for the moons of Jupiter.

Still, it's a small, but very big, jump from "organic molecules" to life. Scientists have tried for decades to shake'n'bake life in a lab with those same molecules without success.

The fact that "Organic compounds are ubiquitous in space" is one thing. The fact we only know of life on a single planet is another.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/S1743921308021078
Abstract. Organic compounds are ubiquitous in space: they are found in diffuse clouds, in the
envelopes of evolved stars, in dense star-forming regions, in protoplanetary disks, in comets,
on the surfaces of minor planets, and in meteorites and interplanetary dust particles. This
brief overview summarizes the observational evidence for the types of organics found in these
regions, with emphasis on recent developments. The Stardust sample-return mission provides the
first opportunity to study primitive cometary material with sophisticated equipment on Earth.
Similarities and differences between the types of compounds in different regions are discussed in
the context of the processes that can modify them. The importance of laboratory astrophysics
is emphasized

True that.

Back when Evince was Deshrubinator, and Jarod was (twice daily) Alexfla, you and I were always Cypress and Damocles respectively though.

I can’t even remember the wrong spelling I used for deshrubinator

I had a good reason to change my name huh

And it wasn’t even that misspelling that I told you NOT TO CORRECT

Can you remember the reason I told you not to correct it?

Do you remember that?

Agreed on the theory. Same for the moons of Jupiter.

Still, it's a small, but very big, jump from "organic molecules" to life. Scientists have tried for decades to shake'n'bake life in a lab with those same molecules without success.

The fact that "Organic compounds are ubiquitous in space" is one thing. The fact we only know of life on a single planet is another.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/S1743921308021078
Abstract. Organic compounds are ubiquitous in space: they are found in diffuse clouds, in the
envelopes of evolved stars, in dense star-forming regions, in protoplanetary disks, in comets,
on the surfaces of minor planets, and in meteorites and interplanetary dust particles. This
brief overview summarizes the observational evidence for the types of organics found in these
regions, with emphasis on recent developments. The Stardust sample-return mission provides the
first opportunity to study primitive cometary material with sophisticated equipment on Earth.
Similarities and differences between the types of compounds in different regions are discussed in
the context of the processes that can modify them. The importance of laboratory astrophysics
is emphasized

I think the assumption that life as we know it is ubiquitous in the presence of water and organic molecules is part optimistic thinking, and part bias from watching to much Star Trek as kids. : )

Back