I went to 75th anniversary of B17 crash in Sheffield this morning

How the hell can a tribute to some very brave men be polluted by a bunch of idiots who have no respect for others or themselves.

How the hell can a tribute to some very brave men be polluted by a bunch of idiots who have no respect for others or themselves.

C'mon- maggot refers to Americans as ' Septics '. That's Septic tanks = Yanks. His supposed grief and admiration for these American heroes is just attention-seeking and glory-grabbing. Don't be a mug. He's a maggot.

C'mon- maggot refers to Americans as ' Septics '. That's Septic tanks = Yanks. His supposed grief and admiration for these American heroes is just attention-seeking and glory-grabbing. Don't be a mug. He's a maggot.

I refer to some Americans as Septics, basically nasty odious scum like you. I should have just banned you but I mistakenly thought that even you would stop being a twat, for a moment anyway. Same goes to McSquawker and Guano.

Last edited:

They had the flypast at 8:45am, very moving ceremony attended by thousands. The pilot circled Endcliffe Park twice to avoid killing some children playing but the last good engine failed and they hit some trees and all ten of the crew died. It's good to see that this hasn't been forgotten by the people of Sheffield and the BBC did a great job covering the event.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ome-true-flypast-marks-1944-bomber-crash.html

I read about the guy who has been tending the graves yesterday or the day before that, HM, and was moved by the story.

As an ex-airman myself, it is almost impossible for me to see the Missing Man Formation without tearing up...so know that I have tears in my eyes while typing right now. My guess is the memory will be with me for the rest of the day.

My time at RAF Sturgate and RAF East Kirkby back in the 1950's are among the greatest memories I have. I used to eat at an RAF canteen (we called it the NAFFI) in Lincoln often...and the RAF guys there treated us as brothers...and we did the same back to them. The friction that sometimes occurs between different forces NEVER raised it ugly head during my stay in the UK.

Thanks for this reminder of a very special guy, Tony Foulds...a man willing to devote so much time to doing what he has done over the years.

ASIDE: I had an opportunity to be aboard a B17 a few years back...The Yankee Lady. A good buddy of mine is (was) its chief pilot. Hell of a plane.

This is The Yankee Lady in flight:

B-17G-Flying-Fortress-Yankee-Lady-640x381.jpg

Things a long time back can stay in the mind, but more if you knew someone involved, I think. Just after the German surrender Churchill noticed that Norway was full of German troops, that the man in charge was a wanted war criminal with nothing to lose, and the U-boat commanders there were refusing to obey the surrender order from Doenitz. It suddenly struck the Hero of 1910 that he should send paratroops in case the Master Race should decide to make a Last Stand amongst the Aryan snows. The weather, though, was appalling, and almost all planes were grounded, but for some reason just three were sent anyway, God knows why - perhaps the Tory Fuhrer realised a Rhondda boy was involved? They all crashed and everyone died. Just a few years back, the Norwegians decided to put up a memorial. Those who remembered my Uncle still cared, strongly: more than half the British there were family. I think the Sheffield bloke may be overdoing it, but the War affected a lot of people. It was incredible to see bits of the plane still lying up there amongst the trees! Those were rough old times. fair play!

It's probably the fact that Mr. Foulds was only eight when it happened, so young and impressionable. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, too. The best people die, and for what. Incidents like these have contributed to making me anti-war.

I read about the guy who has been tending the graves yesterday or the day before that, HM, and was moved by the story.

As an ex-airman myself, it is almost impossible for me to see the Missing Man Formation without tearing up...so know that I have tears in my eyes while typing right now. My guess is the memory will be with me for the rest of the day.

My time at RAF Sturgate and RAF East Kirkby back in the 1950's are among the greatest memories I have. I used to eat at an RAF canteen (we called it the NAFFI) in Lincoln often...and the RAF guys there treated us as brothers...and we did the same back to them. The friction that sometimes occurs between different forces NEVER raised it ugly head during my stay in the UK.

Thanks for this reminder of a very special guy, Tony Foulds...a man willing to devote so much time to doing what he has done over the years.

ASIDE: I had an opportunity to be aboard a B17 a few years back...The Yankee Lady. A good buddy of mine is (was) its chief pilot. Hell of a plane.

Your post is making me choke up, Frank!

He owes his life to the sacrifice made by the pilot, I saw the guy today speaking and he was genuinely overcome with emotion.

He owes his life to the sacrifice made by the pilot, I saw the guy today speaking and he was genuinely overcome with emotion.

I don't suppose for one second that the aircrew had any ' sacrifice ' in mind . Who do you suppose they'd just been bombing ? ' Sacrifice ' my ass. You war glorifiers would be at it again in a heartbeat.

I don't suppose for one second that the aircrew had any ' sacrifice ' in mind . Who do you suppose they'd just been bombing ? ' Sacrifice ' my ass. You war glorifiers would be at it again in a heartbeat.

They were bombing a German airfield in Denmark ffs, why do good people die when arseholes like you get to live?

The Mi Amigo was a B17 bomber that was transferred to the the 364th Bomb Squadron, part of the 305th Bomb Group based at RAF Chelveston on 30th January 1944. On the 22nd February 1944 it had been on a raid on the German airfield at Ålborg in occupied Denmark and had returned, badly damaged, approx 80 miles off course at Sheffield, where it crash landed. The wreckage was recovered on 25 February and taken to the 2nd Strategic Air Depot at Little Staughton.

Mi Amigo Crew:

First Lieutenant John Glennon Krieghauser, pilot.
Second Lieutenant Lyle J Curtis, co-pilot
Second Lieutenant John W Humphrey, navigator
Second Lieutenant Melchor Hernandez, bombardier
Staff Sergeant Robert E Mayfield, radio operator
Staff Sergeant Harry W Estabrooks, engineer / top turret gunner
Sergeant Charles H Tuttle, ball-turret gunner
Sergeant Maurice O Robbins, tail gunner
Sergeant Vito R Ambrosio, right waist gunner
Muster Sergeant George U Williams, left waist gunner

The Mi Amigo was a B17 bomber that was transferred to the the 364th Bomb Squadron, part of the 305th Bomb Group based at RAF Chelveston on 30th January 1944. On the 22nd February 1944 it had been on a raid on the German airfield at Ålborg in occupied Denmark and had returned, badly damaged, approx 80 miles off course at Sheffield, where it crash landed. The wreckage was recovered on 25 February and taken to the 2nd Strategic Air Depot at Little Staughton. Mi Amigo*Crew: First Lieutenant John Glennon Krieghauser, pilot. Second Lieutenant Lyle J Curtis, co-pilot Second Lieutenant John W Humphrey, navigator Second Lieutenant Melchor Hernandez, bombardier Staff Sergeant Robert E Mayfield, radio operator Staff Sergeant Harry W Estabrooks, engineer / top turret gunner Sergeant Charles H Tuttle, ball-turret gunner Sergeant Maurice O Robbins, tail gunner Sergeant Vito R Ambrosio, right waist gunner Muster Sergeant George U Williams, left waist gunner

https://www.sofmag.com/mi-amigob-17-crash/

Last edited:
I hadn't heard of this before. An example of heroism and self sacrifice from a generation where such deeds were far more common than they are nowadays.

The crew would have seen the large stretch of grass in the park as a possible landing place however, when the pilot, Lieutenant John Kriegshauser, saw the children, he instead decided to circle.

:flagsal:

Back