It's time to move to the popular vote deciding elections

Most Americans support this, and there is really no justification for elections being decided by the electoral college.

Why should some votes count more than others? People always talk about how candidates will ignore some states without the electoral - but do they understand the irony of that? Candidates literally spend all of their time in a minority of "swing" states right now.

Outside of our country, people do not understand how more people can vote for someone, but they still lose the election. This archaic system was a concession to the slave states, and it's time to move on from it.
Of course there is justification. Are you purposely being stupid or is this your natural state? You're a dunce if you don't know the justification for the EC.

The bottom line is the ONLY reason you even give a shit about the EC is that it interrupts your plans. If it didn't you wouldn't be clamouring to get rid of it. Deny it you pathetic piece of shit.

Without Blue State support, Red States standard of living would collapse. The long term would have Red States get a standard of living like Brazil. So picture what you have now, and get rid of 75% of it. Red States still have farming, but Brazil also has farming.

The short term is uglier. Most corporate ownership goes through Blue States. Of course Red States could confiscate all that property, but the amount of property that would be confiscated in return would be greater. And it would cut Red States out of the international markets. They could do some trading with Cuba and Iran, but is that really profitable?

Yes, capital markets would crash by 30% to 40%, but they crash by 50% every 10 to 20 years. The recession that Blue States would go through would soon be moved past. The collapse of Red States would be never ending.
false wishes on your part.

And the Oscar goes to....

0000303_0_782e01b9-2b99-4bd3-9cdc-8d470fb2f77d.jpg
I agree. I think the same thing every time you cockroaches whine about this. Pieces of shit

What do Red States do without help from Blue States? It is a simple question.
There is no such thing as a "red state" or a "blue state". Every state has conservatives and liberals within them. Every state has conservative governed areas and liberal governed areas.

Of course the electoral college is stupid,
because our constitution gave us a staggeringly stupid form of government.
Planned gridlock is the best way to describe it..

Abolishing it would pretty much dismantle our system of federalism,
which would be a good thing,
but not accomplishable without disbanding the republic and starting from scratch.

The process for amending the constitution requires more consensus
than a divided America will ever have again.

Unless we're willing to partition the nation,
which I, of course, favor,
it's a waste of time to even discuss it.

Of course the electoral college is stupid,
because our constitution gave us a staggeringly stupid form of government.
Planned gridlock is the best way to describe it..

But they HAD to do it that way. At that time the US was barely a country. It was taking over for the Articles of Confederation. In order to keep the nascent union together they had to provide a sop to states that were smaller and had presumably less representation than larger states. This would keep the peace among a group of relatively independent regions and knit them together into one cohesive whole. And it kind of put the rug over the growing issue of slavery. For a while.

Clearly this "held" until the Civil War when the eternal disjunct between a strong central federal government and states rights finally came to blows.

In a real sense America is NOTHING like it was at the birth of the Constitution. We are now a whole nation. As such this silliness of states rights being so expansive as to thwart the ability of the whole country to function is a real problem. And one I fear we are not yet past.

The process for amending the constitution requires more consensus
than a divided America will ever have again.

Sadly this may be true.

Unless we're willing to partition the nation,
which I, of course, favor,
it's a waste of time to even discuss it.

We can't really partition America now. The difference is no longer easily divisible along geographic boundaries. I don't think that's going to be an option for when the shit next hits the fan for us. And I fear it is coming soon. This kind of "civil war" won't be like our first civil war but more like a Balkans conflict.

And it will last a very long time because these sorts of things tend to.

We are kind of screwed unless we get our shit together soon. But I don't see that happening.

In a real sense America is NOTHING like it was at the birth of the Constitution.

And yet, the constitution is essentially the same now as it was then,
at least in term of the insanely inefficient form of government that it gave us.

They made the compromises that they had to make
in order to unite incompatible former colonies
that simply didn't belong in the same republic.

As a coastal American,
I find that some foreign nations that I've visited
feel less foreign in many ways than Middle America and the South do.

Texas was the largest energy exporting state in 2023, accounting for 65.0 percent of U.S. energy exports by trade dollar value.
I am sure that Texas can do almost as well as Venezuela, if they choose to go that route.

What worries me is that Smarty thinks that is the way to build wealth.

I am sure that Texas can do almost as well as Venezuela, if they choose to go that route.

What worries me is that Smarty thinks that is the way to build wealth.
you are a very good example of the delusional mindset of the left. your total inability to understand reality, so you make up a scenario in your head and it becomes real.

the tech in TX and the tech coming to TX, along with the manufacturing, distribution, and service industries, TX has the 8th largest economy in the world.

Back