Kerry apologizes for 'poorly stated joke'

I responded to what you implied in your statement. If you would be a little more clear, I wouldn't have had to do that. And for the record I did ask.
No, you just said, "If you are referring to this then blah..."

Where is the question? You ask a question, assume an answer then go for that strawman.

If you actually want an answer to a question, don't assume my answer.

Right, you "ask" the question then answer for me, assuming my response and putting words in my mouth. Just as I said happened.

Wow. Amazing.

I asked because YOU weren't clear. I answered based on what you implied. But I did ask because I wasn't sure. Had you been keen enough to clarify what you meant, there would be no confusion. But lets get back to the burning question: Why would Kerry imply that the troops are stupid when he himself was one?

I asked because YOU weren't clear. I answered based on what you implied. But I did ask because I wasn't sure. Had you been keen enough to clarify what you meant, there would be no confusion. But lets get back to the burning question: Why would Kerry imply that the troops are stupid when he himself was one?
Because he believes that an all volunteer army, specifically, would be uneducated and the poor and have less accountability with the public. At least according to his remarks it is so. So, I take his word you pretend what he says doesn't exist. Maineman pretends that the remarks released afterward to "prove" that he forgot "us" somehow shows that he really meant to say that.

I refuse to pretend it makes more sense that a man who got worse grades than Bush is insulting Bush by telling others to get good grades. I'd have to simply reject logic to make that one match up with reality.

Because he believes that an all volunteer army, specifically, would be uneducated and the poor and have less accountability with the public. At least according to his remarks it is so. So, I take his word you pretend what he says doesn't exist.

Are you trying to throw red herrings in there? I don't recall us discussing his views on an all volunteer army. If you'd like to change the topic, I have no problems with that, but I'd like to be clear, that statement has nothing to do with the aforementioned discussion.

I refuse to pretend it makes more sense that a man who got worse grades than Bush is insulting Bush by telling others to get good grades. I'd have to simply reject logic to make that one match up with reality.

I don't deny that later on in the speech he encouraged a group of young people to get good grades. But it still doesn't detract from the fact that he misspoke.

Are you trying to throw red herrings in there? I don't recall us discussing his views on an all volunteer army. If you'd like to change the topic, I have no problems with that, but I'd like to be clear, that statement has nothing to do with the aforementioned discussion.

I don't deny that later on in the speech he encouraged a group of young people to get good grades. But it still doesn't detract from the fact that he misspoke.
No, that is another thread... In 1972 he made it clear how he felt about an all volunteer army. Once again, I take what he says to mean exactly what he says. I don't attempt to twist it all out of shape after the fact to make it fit some odd joke that wouldn't logically work....

he didnt "misspoke " he said excatly what he ment... and if he didnt why didnt he just say what he ment instead of leaving his message open to interpitation like he did... o and if was a joke.. its got to be in the top 5 for worst ever... second last i checked most people who voted for him didnt think they were voting for some lame comic that isnt funny. but i could be wrong

No, that is another thread... In 1972 he made it clear how he felt about an all volunteer army. Once again, I take what he says to mean exactly what he says. I don't attempt to twist it all out of shape after the fact to make it fit some odd joke that wouldn't logically work....

Ooooh, 1972. So it was a red herring. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ooooh, 1972. So it was a red herring. Thanks for clearing that up.
Except he has never changed his position on this. So no, it isn't a red herring. It is simply another way to attempt to disregard his actual meaning for the more desperately illogical "joke about somebody with even better grades than me" action...

It's all okay, I know it is hard when your party is the one that is red-faced by one of their national figures putting his foot in your collective mouths. I know that sometimes you want to desperately attempt to believe whatever excuse they throw out. I've seen it happen....

I feel for you, but I certainly am not going to turn my logic off so I can side with you.

Except he has never changed his position on this. So no, it isn't a red herring. It is simply another way to attempt to disregard his actual meaning for the more desperately illogical "joke about somebody with even better grades than me" action...

It's all okay, I know it is hard when your party is the one that is red-faced by one of their national figures putting his foot in your collective mouths. I know that sometimes you want to desperately attempt to believe whatever excuse they throw out. I've seen it happen....

I feel for you, but I certainly am not going to turn my logic off so I can side with you.

Again. You're logic highly flawed.

I'd love to hear some of the things George junior said in 1972, when he had cocaine stuffed up his nose.
Would be different had he been a national figure then, as Kerry was. However, those statements were not saved for posterity *sigh*. I guess we'll have to make do with what we have. There's enough there for that kind of fun anyway.

Again. You're logic highly flawed.
Except you haven't shown how it is. You simply repeat this one-liner and give me nothing. My logic actually matches what he has said he feels, what he hasn't reiterated or changed since, and what he actually said.

Yours assumes that he somehow feels differently than he has stated in the past, that he was insulting himself as a maroon that would get us "stuck in Iraq" because of the fact that he got worse grades than the person he was supposedly insulting, and that he didn't say what he actually said.

My logic works, you have nothing other than an insistence after the fact and a release of the supposedly "pre-prepared" statements also after the fact.

I have actual logic.

We know that Bush's GPA was higher than Kerry's... Kerry is no fool to insult himself that way.

We know that Bush's GPA was higher than Kerry's... Kerry is no fool to insult himself that way.

If kerry mentioned GPA you would have a point. The basis of your argument INFERS things that Kerry did not state.

If kerry mentioned GPA you would have a point. The basis of your argument INFERS things that Kerry did not state.
Rubbish, he said, "And get good grades".. He most certainly did mention GPA. Either he was saying that he was even more likely than Bush to get us "stuck in Iraq" or he wasn't talking about Bush.

Rubbish, he said, "And get good grades".. He most certainly did mention GPA. Either he was saying that he was even more likely than Bush to get us "stuck in Iraq" or he wasn't talking about Bush.

you're going to have to post a full quote of what you are talking about. its quite possible that he did mention grades throughout the rest of the speech and its also possible that it did not have the correlation to the botched joke that you are implying it did.

Back