Miss. Ranked Fattest State in Nation

Oh yes used to come to NYC, Brooklyn, queens,LI, etc on business a lot.
Mostly mid town manhatten, but sometimes I would fly into Islip or leave that way. I either drove there or got a limo, they were not much more than a cab.
and I was on expenses :)
I thought it was really strange that at night the cop cars were all gathered in the street in front of the various police stations. doughnut delivery I guess.

I was the expert of fiber obtics splicing for the US for a fiber optics company. Been down in the underbelly of NYC too, literally. darned big rats down there.

Ohhh, Islip McArthur, geez I used to live practically around the corner from there. I've flown out of Islip many times, great airport because you don't have all of the congestion of JFK. It's gotten bigger now though, but still, nowhere near like JFK.

Cool!

Anyone ever get a strong desire to just head out and travel everywhere?

I was sitting in my college class today, and finally realized that this was about it. I was going to go get a degree in engineering and law and just sit around for the rest of my life in the same place. I felt kind of trapped, when I realized that there wasn't really any way out.
I am doing that till the end of the year at least. traveling and visiting with relatives and seeing sights and working too. the wonders of laptops and wireless net access ;D
Don't need no stinkin iPhone though.

Holy crap. Wikipedia calls it a "town" - and it has 300,000 people! That's bigger than any city in Mississippi! It's bigger than New Orleans and Mobile. Sheesh. So many people in the NE.

The Town of Islip is a political subdivision of Suffolk county. The Town of Islip is different than Islip.

Every grocery I have been in seemed to have bay leaves.
I spent about a year down around the DFW area and they had good selections of spices. Let me know what you want and I will send ya some Thorn.

Thanks, usc! I'll keep it in mind and start making lists :D

WM, I'm about 15 hours or so from NO. They're known for their great cuisine. This area is not. I'm from, essentially, the northeast, where such condiments are plentiful. Culinarily speaking, this place is a desert!

I have found people to be pleasant and helpful and even charming, no matter where I go. Whether it be in NYC, Boston, the West Coast, Virginia, or other parts of this country...or even out of the country.

I wonder who the problem might be, "everyone" else, or yourselves?

Same here. Even in Paris, where people's rudeness is supposed to be legend, everyone was nice to me. A friend of mine here tried to deal with a photography supplier in NYC and found them to be rude enough that he refused to deal with them again. I've dealt with them repeatedly and always found them pleasant, courteous, helpful and efficient. I have subsequently realized that my friend is very easily offended, so have learned to take his judgments with a grain of salt.

You're right. To an important extent, how you find other people usually depends to a very great extent on how you treat them.

LOL when I was in NYC my hillbilly status served me well. They all thought all hillbillies all carried guns and knives and loved to fight. So no problems :)

Southerners often think of themselves as being very polite. But it's easy to distinguish those who just put on a facade from those who really care about people. The thing about the south as that our "rude people" don't go out and say "Fuck you", but they do make you feel just as irrelevant all the same. It's the human race.

Southerners are more demure, and quieter.

Its true, that driving in northeaster city traffic, I get flipped off and honked at WAY more than on the west coast. But, that's just a traffic thing. I'm at the point in life, where I don't get tweaked about a honking horn. Who cares?

But, in face to face situations, I think most people are pretty decent.

I have found people to be pleasant and helpful and even charming, no matter where I go. Whether it be in NYC, Boston, the West Coast, Virginia, or other parts of this country...or even out of the country.

It's really a shame that people seem to take such a dislike to yourself and Cawacko when you travel out of your hometowns.

I wonder who the problem might be, "everyone" else, or yourselves?

I get along fine with people where ever I travel or where ever I've lived. And there are even parts of the behavior that I enjoy such as riding in cars in NYC. I have no patience on the road and the driving style there fits me very well.

But when doing business there is a big difference between attitudes and styles of those on the West Coast and those on the East Coast. I personally don't care for the East Coast style.

I get along fine with people where ever I travel or where ever I've lived. And there are even parts of the behavior that I enjoy such as riding in cars in NYC. I have no patience on the road and the driving style there fits me very well.

But when doing business there is a big difference between attitudes and styles of those on the West Coast and those on the East Coast. I personally don't care for the East Coast style.
People in California get annoyed by fast talkers... gotta slow the pace for y'all.

Holy crap. Wikipedia calls it a "town" - and it has 300,000 people! That's bigger than any city in Mississippi! It's bigger than New Orleans and Mobile. Sheesh. So many people in the NE.

Outside of informal discussion, a city vs. town has nothing to do with population.

Do you mean that stereotypical Brooklyn one?
Yeah. Much like people in Colorado have almost no accent, contrary to the popular television version that always talks like "Tex" and wears cowboy hats, most people in NYC don't have the accent, although some do.

People in California get annoyed by fast talkers... gotta slow the pace for y'all.

I'll tell you that is a problem for me, because fellow New Yorkers sometimes ask me to please slow down. But, it's not rudeness. I try and think about that when I am on the phone, or visiting out of state.

I'll tell you that is a problem for me, because fellow New Yorkers sometimes ask me to please slow down. But, it's not rudeness. I try and think about that when I am on the phone, or visiting out of state.
Yeah, I naturally talk fast, when I give speeches people are always saying it would be better if I "slowed down" to a natural pace. Then they listen to me for a while and go "Oh!"... That is your natural pace.

Yeah. Much like people in Colorado have almost no accent, contrary to the popular television version that always talks like "Tex" and wears cowboy hats, most people in NYC don't have the accent, although some do.

Yeah, that is true. Also, I found that when I lived in Seattle, I heard almost no accents there, which leads me to believe there is not that much difference between a Washington accent and a NY one.

Southerners often think of themselves as being very polite. But it's easy to distinguish those who just put on a facade from those who really care about people. The thing about the south as that our "rude people" don't go out and say "Fuck you", but they do make you feel just as irrelevant all the same. It's the human race.

No, sorry, people in the south are far more polite and sincere.

Yeah, that is true. Also, I found that when I lived in Seattle, I heard almost no accents there, which leads me to believe there is not that much difference between a Washington accent and a NY one.
When I was there everybody kept asking me if I was from Canada. They said I sounded Canadian for some reason. Especially the upstaters.

Back