Miss. Ranked Fattest State in Nation

Speaking of speaking patterns, I will soon make the news for stangling some ... for using the word "like" in every sentence and "hella."

Hmm, that's funny. I doubt I would think so, I know too many Canadians.

Well everybody makes fun of the "out" pronunciation, but Damo how do you pronounce "orange", "sorry", "progress", "schedule", etc. ?

My husband always teases me about the way I say "orange". Haven't said "eh", though, since I crossed the border, except as a joke.

Well everybody makes fun of the "out" pronunciation, but Damo how do you pronounce "orange", "sorry", "progress", "schedule", etc. ?

My husband always teases me about the way I say "orange". Haven't said "eh", though, since I crossed the border, except as a joke.

LOL. I love the "eh"!

Speaking of speaking patterns, I will soon make the news for stangling some ... for using the word "like" in every sentence and "hella."

Arrgh! Do you find yourself beginning to count the number of times someone says "like" during a conversation? When we see an interview like that we change the station.

Well, I don't say "oot" if that's what you are thinking.

Yes, and white men have no rhythm, and black men are better endowed, and Asian women can't drive, but boy can they score on the SATs...and so on and so on.
LOI!

My brother moved from California to NYC some years ago -- he now lives in Harlem and works for Time, Inc. -- and has interesting things to say about Californians' preconceptions about New Yorkers. He says that there really are cultural differences that he had a hard time getting used to -- mostly concerned with dress and personal space -- but that, in general, he likes the Natives and has no problem anymore. And he hasn't become more pushy, that any of the rest of us can tell.

LOI!

My brother moved from California to NYC some years ago -- he now lives in Harlem and works for Time, Inc. -- and has interesting things to say about Californians' preconceptions about New Yorkers. He says that there really are cultural differences that he had a hard time getting used to -- mostly concerned with dress and personal space -- but that, in general, he likes the Natives and has no problem anymore. And he hasn't become more pushy, that any of the rest of us can tell.
When I was in Boot Camp some of the New Yorkers couldn't quite figure out the personal space thing. That was annoying.

And what is the thing with standing next to you when they are talking to you rather than in front of you?

;)

When I was in Boot Camp some of the New Yorkers couldn't quite figure out the personal space thing. That was annoying.

And what is the thing with standing next to you when they are talking to you rather than in front of you?

;)

You and Ornot are saying that New Yorkers, in general, tend to stand closer than the national average? That their "personal bubble" is smaller? That is interesting, I better keep that in mind. The last thing I want is some California type whacko to think I am hitting on him when I travel! ;)

I would say "owt" not "oot", orange is too difficult to show how I pronounce it.

Actually I think the Canadian way for "out" words is more "oat"-like. The "orange" and "sorry" pronounciations for the first syllable would sort of rhyme with "for", I guess, or "oar". Unless you're from Boston, anyway.

You and Ornot are saying that New Yorkers, in general, tend to stand closer than the national average? That their "personal bubble" is smaller? That is interesting, I better keep that in mind. The last thing I want is some California type whacko to think I am hitting on him when I travel! ;)
Yeah, you can always spot the New York girls in the bar 'cause they radiate "Easy!" from across the room -- unless they're sending "Bitchy!" instead. :)

Yes, and white men have no rhythm, and black men are better endowed, and Asian women can't drive, but boy can they score on the SATs...and so on and so on.

Generally speaking, and that is what is being done here in case you did not notice, most of those are true.

Honestly, maybe it is more an urban versus rural thing. Many of the people in Hyde Park neighborhood of Tampa were phoney aholes. Or maybe it is just that people in the SF Bay area are a bunch of extremely judgemental hypocrites.

So you buy into the notion that Asian women can't drive?

Actually I think the Canadian way for "out" words is more "oat"-like. The "orange" and "sorry" pronounciations for the first syllable would sort of rhyme with "for", I guess, or "oar". Unless you're from Boston, anyway.
Orange's first syllable would be more like 'ore' but sorry is pronounced more like "sari" than "Soarey"

Generally speaking, and that is what is being done here in case you did not notice, most of those are true.

Honestly, maybe it is more an urban versus rural thing. Many of the people in Hyde Park neighborhood of Tampa were phoney aholes. Or maybe it is just that people in the SF Bay area are a bunch of extremely judgemental hypocrites.

No, I haven't noticed.

I might not have seen as many black men's penises as you have though, or white ones for that matter, in order to properly judge. I mean, i am willing to leave that to your expertise if you feel you have some. But I have known white men who do have rhythm, and Asian women who can drive quite well.

Back