Nature, beer, the coming holidays, or whatever.

Yes...he (rightfully so)considered eagles to be scavangers. He may have thought turkeys were much smarter, but I believe it's their eyesight that keeps them alive. Hell...they walk right out in the road at noon.

I don't believe bald eagles are scavengers. They are birds of prey. I've seen them grab fish out of my neighbor's pond.

While I don't agree with Franklin about the turkey being the national bird, I think they are magnificent birds nonetheless.

I don't believe bald eagles are scavengers. They are birds of prey. I've seen them grab fish out of my neighbor's pond.

While I don't agree with Franklin about the turkey being the national bird, I think they are magnificent birds nonetheless.
I'm an avid ice fisherman. The eagles have come to know that I'll feed them when I'm fishing. They wait patiently in the trees, waiting for me to catch something that I'm willing to share.

Been doing it for twenty years, and I still get a rush every time they choose to interact with me. I also feed them on the open water when I'm in a boat, but pix are much easier in the winter.

They are indeed majestic, but they are opportunists....like most raptors. The best place for viewing large numbers of eagles is at the landfill. They're hovering among the thousands of gulls, who wait for the trucks to empty their bounty.

Ice fishing pix.

eagle 2.jpg
Not sure if I can put more than one pic per post?

Eagles are also scavengers. We occasionally would treat one at the bird sanctuary with lead poisoning from ingesting lead pellets from a deer carcass. Last fall someone threw their deer carcass into an open area along our road. We saw at least three different bald eagles on it, as well as ravens, crows, and jays. In Alaska you often see them hanging out around town dumps and transfer stations looking for goodies. Like us, animals tend to be lazy and go for the easy meal in order to conserve energy.

Last edited:
Our grocery store runs rib roasts for $5-$6/lb about four or five times per year. I'm not really a meat eater, but whenever my significant (female) other ;) starts being nice to me, I feed her meat. It makes her mean again.
For years, I'd select a roast that was 2 or 3 ribs. I trim off the excess fat, and stab it with a knife as if it were trump.
I rub it with onion powder, crushed garlic, and kosher salt. I put the oven on broil, and brown both sides. Then I turn the oven down to 250 and slow cook it a couple of hours.
If I have a bigger roast for more people, I cut it in half in order to expose more 'ends', and do the same.
Take it out when the center reaches 130 degrees, and cover with foil for about ten minutes.
That was then. Now, I just cut it into steaks, rub the same spices, and sear it in a cast iron skillet. I finish it on the grill in a fraction of the time. Still comes out better than any restaurant.

Thanks. Oh and LOL @ makes her mean again.

Money shot! Great capture.
Ugh....I've been a photographer since the 70's. When digital came out, I grudgingly hopped on board....only to realize the fact that it's far superior to 'wet' photography in today's fast paced world. So...I dove in head first, paying almost $1000 for a body only, and buying used high quality Nikon glass as time passed.

I blew the shot in the previous post, but it's still a nice one. I get so excited whenever these birds join me...I totally forgot that if I simply kept my finger on the shutter release, I would have had the succession of pix right up until the eagle grabbed the fish.

Nevertheless.....I'm always on a quest to get better pix.

Hard to see, but he/she's got the fish, and is exiting the area

eagle 3.jpg

Ugh....I've been a photographer since the 70's. When digital came out, I grudgingly hopped on board....only to realize the fact that it's far superior to 'wet' photography in today's fast paced world. So...I dove in head first, paying almost $1000 for a body only, and buying used high quality Nikon glass as time passed.

I blew the shot in the previous post, but it's still a nice one. I get so excited whenever these birds join me...I totally forgot that if I simply kept my finger on the shutter release, I would have had the succession of pix right up until the eagle grabbed the fish.

Nevertheless.....I'm always on a quest to get better pix.

Hard to see, but he/she's got the fish, and is exiting the area

View attachment 5210

Yep, I can see his catch!

Have so much admiration for photogs who did it the hard way, pre-digital. Still have my Dad's Nikon and the lenses. Digital is just so much better though. What editing software do you use?

I'm an avid ice fisherman. The eagles have come to know that I'll feed them when I'm fishing. They wait patiently in the trees, waiting for me to catch something that I'm willing to share.

Been doing it for twenty years, and I still get a rush every time they choose to interact with me. I also feed them on the open water when I'm in a boat, but pix are much easier in the winter.

They are indeed majestic, but they are opportunists....like most raptors. The best place for viewing large numbers of eagles is at the landfill. They're hovering among the thousands of gulls, who wait for the trucks to empty their bounty.

Ice fishing pix.

View attachment 5208
Not sure if I can put more than one pic per post?

Eagles are also scavengers. We occasionally would treat one at the bird sanctuary with lead poisoning from ingesting lead pellets from a deer carcass. Last fall someone threw their deer carcass into an open area long our road. We saw at least three different bald eagles on it, as well as ravens, crows, and jays. In Alaska you often see them hanging out around town dumps and transfer stations looking for goodies. Like us, animals tend to be lazy and go for the easy meal in order to conserve energy.

Thanks, I stand corrected. But I won't hold that against our national bird, we all gotta eat. :D

Great shot of that eagle going for that perch.

One of my favorite birds in flight is the turkey vulture, a carrion eater. They are beautiful (from the neck down, lol), and perform a valuable service. I don't have pics of any in flight, but here's an oak tree full of them.

2012-05-08_10-06-52_23.jpg

Have so much admiration for photogs who did it the hard way, pre-digital. Still have my Dad's Nikon and the lenses. Digital is just so much better though. What editing software do you use?
I have Photoshop Elements, which is pretty limited. Ironically, I opt for Picasa, which was supported by Google until about 2 years ago. I have it on two computers, but it isn't available for download anymore.

It was the best free editing software around.

If you have a good collection of lenses, you can buy a digital body and use them. You might have to be specific about the body you choose, as I was.

Thanks, I stand corrected. But I won't hold that against our national bird, we all gotta eat. :D

Great shot of that eagle going for that perch.

One of my favorite birds in flight is the turkey vulture, a carrion eater. They are beautiful (from the neck down, lol), and perform a valuable service. I don't have pics of any in flight, but here's an oak tree full of them.

View attachment 5212
Yep...a necessary resource. We have tons of them, and the untrained eye often mistakes them for eagles/hawks. That's an ominous pic! I recently learned that it's smell, and not eyesight that attracts them to food.

I have Photoshop Elements, which is pretty limited. Ironically, I opt for Picasa, which was supported by Google until about 2 years ago. I have it on two computers, but it isn't available for download anymore.

It was the best free editing software around.

I use Paint Shop Pro X8. Used to be a Jasc software proggie; now it's the Evil Corel Empire. But it's still an outstanding editor. Converts your RAW photos to .jpg, lets you manipulate them while still in RAW, and post-conversion as well. Have Picasa on my laptop, didn't like it as well.

Back