Nature, beer, the coming holidays, or whatever.

I use Paint Shop Pro X8. Used to be a Jasc software proggie; now it's the Evil Corel Empire. But it's still an outstanding editor. Converts your RAW photos to .jpg, lets you manipulate them while still in RAW, and post-conversion as well. Have Picasa on my laptop, didn't like it as well.
Is it free? For sharing on the net, Picasa is quick, and offers quite a few 'fixes'. Otherwise, I'd probably opt for a better program.

Yep...a necessary resource. We have tons of them, and the untrained eye often mistakes them for eagles/hawks. That's an ominous pic! I recently learned that it's smell, and not eyesight that attracts them to food.

They also have a unique and disgusting self-defense mechanism. When they find a carcass, they will gorge till flight becomes difficult. If a predator approaches and tries to attack the vulture, the bird will vomit on the predator. As you can imagine, their vomit is extremely vile plus they have stomach acids far stronger than ours. The vulture caretakers at the bird sanctuary actually had boots eaten through.

Yep...a necessary resource. We have tons of them, and the untrained eye often mistakes them for eagles/hawks. That's an ominous pic! I recently learned that it's smell, and not eyesight that attracts them to food.

Yeah it is. That pic is deceiving too, it's a pretty big pin oak, there's alotta bird up in that tree, lol.

They also have a unique and disgusting self-defense mechanism. When they find a carcass, they will gorge till flight becomes difficult. If a predator approaches and tries to attack the vulture, the bird will vomit on the predator. As you can imagine, their vomit is extremely vile plus they have stomach acids far stronger than ours. The vulture caretakers at the bird sanctuary actually had boots eaten through.
(Johnny Carson voice) I did not know that. I know they eat at lightning speed.

Yeah it is. That pic is deceiving too, it's a pretty big pin oak, there's alotta bird up in that tree, lol.
I've always joked with my father in law when I see a vulture circling above, telling him to keep moving so that the bird doesn't think he's dead. I was recently reading about vultures lurking around oil drilling rigs. I assumed that like many raptors, they have great vision.

It seems they're attracted to the sulfurous smell of rotting carcasses, and the oil drilling emits a similar smell.

Huh, I never thought of that. We make dip with onion soup and low fat sour cream all the time. I bet it makes an excellent rub.
Well...it's high in sodium, and it has dried onions. Two of the three flavors I use when I rub a roast. Works great on London broil too.

I've always joked with my father in law when I see a vulture circling above, telling him to keep moving so that the bird doesn't think he's dead. I was recently reading about vultures lurking around oil drilling rigs. I assumed that like many raptors, they have great vision.

It seems they're attracted to the sulfurous smell of rotting carcasses, and the oil drilling emits a similar smell.

I have a hideous story about that. lol

Many moons ago, I had my house out in the country and fiance was a city boy. We were getting ready to get married so most of my stuff was at his house, including my parrots. We would go out to my house every other weekend to cut the grass, do fixing up before sale, and so on. Usually we rode together but on this weekend, he left an hour early. As I was driving down the country road I noticed several vultures circling over the area where my house was. When I got out of the car, he stopped the mower and told me that he thought maybe one of the cat-hoarder-across-the-street's cats died died in the crawl space because the house smelled horrible. He was right; it smelled like death. Went back in the laundry room where the freezer was and instantly noticed it was almost unbearable. Threw open the back door and terrified the vultures, who were now perched in the trees watching eagerly. Turned out that there had been a power failure, and when the power came back on, the freezer did not. It was July. You can imagine the rest.

I have a hideous story about that. lol

Many moons ago, I had my house out in the country and fiance was a city boy. We were getting ready to get married so most of my stuff was at his house, including my parrots. We would go out to my house every other weekend to cut the grass, do fixing up before sale, and so on. Usually we rode together but on this weekend, he left an hour early. As I was driving down the country road I noticed several vultures circling over the area where my house was. When I got out of the car, he stopped the mower and told me that he thought maybe one of the cat-hoarder-across-the-street's cats died died in the crawl space because the house smelled horrible. He was right; it smelled like death. Went back in the laundry room where the freezer was and instantly noticed it was almost unbearable. Threw open the back door and terrified the vultures, who were now perched in the trees watching eagerly. Turned out that there had been a power failure, and when the power came back on, the freezer did not. It was July. You can imagine the rest.
I can smell it as I'm reading. It's never a good sign when the buzzards are lurking!

Yes, sir.
It might have a different name in different regions, but it's often a shoulder or top round cut that's about 1" thick. I believe the name refers to a method of cooking, as the meat will be very tough if done wrong. Many people marinate it, but it really isn't necessary.

There's really not marbling, so prep is important. I just rub it with the onion soup mix. You can have it on the table in less than 10 minutes. Hmmm....slicing takes a bit of time.

On the grill, sear it for about 4 minutes, flip and sear for another 4 minutes. I let it rest under foil, and then slice across the grain. Make sure your cutting board can collect the juices, as they are amazing.

I slice it paper thin, holding the knife at a 45 degree angle. Some cut it thicker, but you can't beat the tenderness you get when it's really thin. Don't over cook it, or it's pet food.

Back