Nature, beer, the coming holidays, or whatever.

Hope you have good weather and good times.
It’s been great so far. We ate at a Jamaican restaurant last night, steel drum and all. I had a hibiscus margarita that was out of this world delicious, the jerk chicken with mango sauce was excellent. The evening was cool, but they had heaters on the patio where the gentlemen was playing the drum. It is such a beautiful sound and I felt my mother’s presence. The first time she had ever heard a steel drum was in Alaska at the state fair, she was mesmerized, sat there for an hour listening to them while we took the kids on the rides.

Today, I made okroshka. A Russian cold soup made from kefir, cucumber, dill, radish, potato, scallions, sour cream. I learned it from a lady I visited in Minsk, Belarus. Thank you, Natasha!
this is okroshka (stock photo).

1b9cew62c54m-640.jpg

Tomorrow, I am going to visit my friend Svetlana, she makes delicious bird's milk cake - a traditional Russian layer cake, with light soufflé and topped with dark chocolate glaze. I consider it decadent!
stock photo....
348s.jpg
impressive, it looks really hearty and delicious!

LOL -- gross!

Tonight I'm making seafood fettucine with shrooms. The shrooms are the wonderous chanterelles I captured in the woods last summer and preserved. Then crab meat and claims, white wine, parmesan cheese. Whole wheat noodles.

So there. Nyah. lol
Yummy

I have a hideous story about that. lol

Many moons ago, I had my house out in the country and fiance was a city boy. We were getting ready to get married so most of my stuff was at his house, including my parrots. We would go out to my house every other weekend to cut the grass, do fixing up before sale, and so on. Usually we rode together but on this weekend, he left an hour early. As I was driving down the country road I noticed several vultures circling over the area where my house was. When I got out of the car, he stopped the mower and told me that he thought maybe one of the cat-hoarder-across-the-street's cats died died in the crawl space because the house smelled horrible. He was right; it smelled like death. Went back in the laundry room where the freezer was and instantly noticed it was almost unbearable. Threw open the back door and terrified the vultures, who were now perched in the trees watching eagerly. Turned out that there had been a power failure, and when the power came back on, the freezer did not. It was July. You can imagine the rest.
Oh, no, and yuck!

These are the veggies I used for a large pot. You could cut it in half.

1 large sweet potato
1/2 rutabaga
3 rainbow carrots, and their greens. 1 purple, 1 yellow, 1 orange.
1 large sweet onion
2 cipollini onions
1 bulb of garlic separated, and smashed
A handful of snow pea pods
4 stalks of celery
4 radicchio leaves
2-3 baby bok choy leaves
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
10 dried shiitake mushrooms, submerged in water, and cleaned of dirt.
Parsley stems (cut about inch, and a half off the bottom of an entire bunch)
1 full leaf of this, is what I'll call my special ingredient: https://www.amazon.com/Maine-Coast-..._rd_wg=abhNl&refRID=T44D7GCBKVQ6762K7GW9&th=1

Seasonings 8-15 pink peppercorns, TBSP of both dried rosemary, and dried Marjoram.

It was all cut into large pieces (besides the mushrooms, pea pods, and special ingredient, which were left whole) and simmered on low for 25-30 hours. If you know how to make stocks, I won't get technical on things like straining, etc. Just fill a bowl with the veggies, and refill that same bowl to that line with cold water. Add little bits more if you think it's getting low during cooking. I lid up for overnight.

It was really good, and didn't need any salt. Could probably consume it as is, or you can use it for whatever. The scraps can feed the animals, or be thrown into compost. Can you believe this was my first attempt? Mom did provide input, but this was my recipe.
Yummy and healthy

Thanks. Too bad we can't just agree on one name for stuff. lol At the grocery, the prime rib is labeled "standing rib roast." I kept looking for it in the butcher case and finally asked the butcher where is the prime rib that's on sale, not knowing that "standing rib roast" is its other name.
I think people use the same cuts for pot roast. Typically an undesirable cut of meat, that can be used if cooked properly. Most people marinate for London broil, but I don't see the need.

I saw a recipe using ribeye for London broil. That's just screwy, and a waste. London broil is for cooking meats that have full on flavor, but can get tough if cooked too much. It's not for a prime cut of steak. If I do steak I just do it in a cast iron skillet, with salt, and rosemary. I use a little grape seed oil. Oh, and I make sure to scrape rosemary up off the pan, that loosens off when you flip. It can start to darken, and add bad flavor.
Agree. Because the GF and I can rarely finish the rib roasts/steak, I wait a day or two and use the leftovers for peppersteak w/onions.

I put on my Republican hat and joke 'We're eating like people on food stamps'.

Working at a grocery store for most of my teens, I'm the ultimate consumer.

When boneless chicken breast goes on sale, I purposely buy the split breasts with the ribs attached. They're also marked down. I cut the breasts from the ribs, and boil the bones. It makes amazing stock that goes into the freezer. If I don't have time at the end of a busy day, I'll grab some mushrooms from the store real quick, and make mushroom barley soup using the stock.

Today, I made okroshka. A Russian cold soup made from kefir, cucumber, dill, radish, potato, scallions, sour cream. I learned it from a lady I visited in Minsk, Belarus. Thank you, Natasha!
this is okroshka (stock photo).

1b9cew62c54m-640.jpg

Tomorrow, I am going to visit my friend Svetlana, she makes delicious bird's milk cake - a traditional Russian layer cake, with light soufflé and topped with dark chocolate glaze. I consider it decadent!
stock photo....
348s.jpg
In the summer, I have Russian neighbors. They escaped Russia in the late seventies. I'm always helping them fix their summer shack, and they're always feeding me. The wife made something similar, without the sour cream. It was her version of borscht, and they add the sour cream in the bowl if they want.

For my taste, a lot of what they make is pretty salty, but that aside, it's delicious. Of course, they wash everything down with Vodka. A lot of vodka! Good thing I only have to walk about 100' to get home.

Sometimes I have to crawl.

In the summer, I have Russian neighbors. They escaped Russia in the late seventies. I'm always helping them fix their summer shack, and they're always feeding me. The wife made something similar, without the sour cream. It was her version of borscht, and they add the sour cream in the bowl if they want.

For my taste, a lot of what they make is pretty salty, but that aside, it's delicious. Of course, they wash everything down with Vodka. A lot of vodka! Good thing I only have to walk about 100' to get home.

Sometimes I have to crawl.

I am completely biased when it comes to Russian food, having grown up around it, but I don't really understand why it kind of gets a bad rap. It is exceedingly rare to ever see a Russian restaurant. There is just not that much interest in it, in America. Large cities have some Russian delis, but they most cater to immigrants and urban hipsters. I admit, Russian food is a little weird to American tastes, who at this point are well acclimated to the comfort zone of Mexican, Chinese, Italian, et al.

Speaking of vodka, I recently attended a Saint's Day feast at a Russian Orthodox church in Quebec , and the Bishop was pouring himself, and me, a glass of vodka at 11:30 in the morning. Ever been in a social situation where you have to be polite, and do shots of vodka when you don't want to? That was totally me!

I am completely biased when it comes to Russian food, having grown up around it, but I don't really understand why it kind of gets a bad rap. It is exceedingly rare to ever see a Russian restaurant. There is just not that much interest in it, in America. Large cities have some Russian delis, but they most cater to immigrants and urban hipsters. I admit, Russian food is a little weird to American tastes, who at this point are well acclimated to the comfort zone of Mexican, Chinese, Italian, et al.

Speaking of vodka, I recently attended a Saint's Day feast at a Russian Orthodox church in Quebec , and the Bishop was pouring himself, and me, a glass of vodka at 11:30 in the morning. Ever been in a social situation where you have to be polite, and do shots of vodka when you don't want to? That was totally me!
Hey....you don't want to insult anyone! ;)

These neighbors live in Brighton Beach in Bklyn. That's about as Russian an area as you can find. They bring stuff up from the Russian delis, but I've never seen a Russian restaurant either. A lot of their diet isn't much different than other European countries that respect the sanctity of food, and have learned how do avoid starvation in an oppressive country. I find they don't do 'pickled', so much as they do 'brined'.

Did you make it to Orlando yet?
My son/d.i.l./g-kids are there now as well!
We are currently in a bar in Kisseemee watching the Chiefs. I went to see the Atlantic Ocean and waded in, not that cold!
We drove up to Cape Carnavral. It was perfect weather about 75 degrees. Heading to my sisters after the game!

We are currently in a bar in Kisseemee watching the Chiefs. I went to see the Atlantic Ocean and waded in, not that cold!
We drove up to Cape Carnavral. It was perfect weather about 75 degrees. Heading to my sisters after the game!

Will you bore us with your vacation slides when you return?

I texted my 10-yr-old g-daughter (who's down there now with family) a photo I had just taken out the window here, of the Lake and the snow. She texted back: "Its hella hot here." lol

We had one in St. Louis; went there a couple of times. I don't know how authentic they are, but the owners' second language is English. I had golubtsy (sp), lamb kabob, and pelmeni, husband had beef stroganoff both times (because he'd heard of that, lol). He's not an food adventurer. Does this look authentic?

http://places.singleplatform.com/astoria-7/menu?ref=google

Hahahaha -- awesome!

My best friend in college was from Ukraine. On cold winter mornings when we'd ride to clinics together she would often grumble about how we Americans are too uptight. "In Kiev on way to work I have vodka in coffee, never cold like this!"

We had one in St. Louis; went there a couple of times. I don't know how authentic they are, but the owners' second language is English. I had golubtsy (sp), lamb kabob, and pelmeni, husband had beef stroganoff both times (because he'd heard of that, lol). He's not an food adventurer. Does this look authentic?

http://places.singleplatform.com/astoria-7/menu?ref=google

Hahahaha -- awesome!

My best friend in college was from Ukraine. On cold winter mornings when we'd ride to clinics together she would often grumble about how we Americans are too uptight. "In Kiev on way to work I have vodka in coffee, never cold like this!"

Oh yeah, if I am ever in Saint Louis, I will have to check it out!

I have never been much of a drinker, and I could never figure out how the Russian could drink everyone under the table - I mean everyone, Irish, Germans, French, Canadians, Americans. But my relative Nikita taught me some of the secret tricks that Russians use to prepare themselves to drink lots of vodka without getting too wasted. I am not much of a drinker, but next time I am in Minsk or Saint Petersburg, I might be able to put in a good showing for Uncle Sam!

My Inferno chili (No Holds Barred Trial Edition) This is for a large batch, I leave math up to others that want it cut in half, or more. If any takers exist.

About a pound of ground chuck, with a half a pound of ground sirloin. (Mix with plenty of sriracha seasoning, and about half a bottle of green Tabasco, or other green sauce. Let sit for a few hours in a large plastic bag, in the fridge.)
1 package of ground hot chorizo.
1 2.5 oz hot Mexican style chili powder
2 TBSP regular chili powder
1 & 1/3 TBSP scotch bonnet powder (Revised from 1 TBSP)
1 4.0 gram vile of 7 pot brain strain powder
7 jalapenos diced
1 1/2 pint of habaneros diced
2 cipollini onions peeled, and diced
10 dried Thai peppers, 1 dried ghost pepper, 2 dried Trinidad scorpion peppers (grind in mortar, and pestle with little bit of water)
2 10 oz cans, Rotel Diced tomatoes, with habaneros
1 28 oz can of stewed tomatoes
2 14.5 oz diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 14.5 oz stewed tomatoes (Mexican style)
10-15 grinds of Szechuan peppercorn
1 TBSP smoked paprika
1 TBSP dried lemon peel
1 TBSP dried Marjoram
1 TBSP crushed red pepper
1 TSP ground cumin
2 TBSP Turbinado sugar (Revised from 1 & 1/3 TBSP total.)
Small palm full of Smoked sea salt (I used smoked serrano for more heat)
1 46 fl oz can Tomato juice
1 average size bottle dark ale

I don't think I need to explain making a one pot stew, but just make sure to brown all the meat, and drain it of fat before putting it in the pot. Beans are optional, just make any beans you like, add some to a bowl, and top with chili. It can be a little much to handle with all the spice, and an addition of beans.

This is a trial recipe of what I've learned, and done before. It's cooking slowly now, so I don't know if it's a complete success, or not.

WARNING: Handle ingredients with care, using gloves for pepper preparations. Use a non porous material to cut on, and keep all animals away.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, if I am ever in Saint Louis, I will have to check it out!

I have never been much of a drinker, and I could never figure out how the Russian could drink everyone under the table - I mean everyone, Irish, Germans, French, Canadians, Americans. But my relative Nikita taught me some of the secret tricks that Russians use to prepare themselves to drink lots of vodka without getting too wasted. I am not much of a drinker, but next time I am in Minsk or Saint Petersburg, I might be able to put in a good showing for Uncle Sam!

Wait. So you're not going to share Nikita's secrets with us?

My Inferno chili (No Holds Barred Trial Edition) This is for a large batch, I leave math up to others that want it cut in half, or more. If any takers exist.

About a pound of ground chuck, with a half a pound of ground sirloin. (Mix with plenty of sriracha seasoning, and about half a bottle of green Tabasco, or other green sauce. Let sit for a few ours in a large plastic bag, in the fridge.)
1 package of ground hot chorizo.
1 2.5 oz hot Mexican style chili powder
2 TBSP regular chili powder
1 TBSP scotch bonnet powder
1 4.0 gram vile of 7 pot brain strain powder
7 jalapenos diced
1 1/2 pint of habaneros diced
2 cipollini onions peeled, and diced
10 dried Thai peppers, 1 dried ghost pepper, 2 dried Trinidad scorpion peppers (grind in mortar, and pestle with little bit of water)
2 10 oz cans, Rotel Diced tomatoes, with habaneros
1 28 oz can of stewed tomatoes
2 14.5 oz diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 14.5 oz stewed tomatoes (Mexican style)
10-15 grinds of Szechuan peppercorn
1 TBSP smoked paprika
1 TBSP dried lemon peel
1 TBSP dried Marjoram
1 TBSP crushed red pepper
1 TSP ground cumin
4 TSP Turbinado sugar
Small palm full of Smoked sea salt (I used smoked serrano for more heat)
1 46 fl oz can Tomato juice
1 average size bottle dark ale

I don't think I need to explain making a one pot stew, but just make sure to brown all the meat, and drain it of fat before putting it in the pot. Beans are optional, just make any beans you like, add some to a bowl, and top with chili. It can be a little much to handle with all the spice, and an addition of beans.

This is a trial recipe of what I've learned, and done before. It's cooking slowly now, so I don't know if it's a complete success, or not.

WARNING: Handle ingredients with care, using gloves for pepper preparations. Use a non porous material to cut on, and keep all animals away.

What kind of pot do you cook that in, something designed to hold used nuclear fuel rods?

Good gods, just reading the ingredients made me rush for the milk carton. lol

Wait. So you're not going to share Nikita's secrets with us?

What Nikita told me is that Russian will eat a big meal before drinking vodka, and more importantly they will eat a lot of salo, or other types of brine-cured pork fats. Which is considered a type of appetizer or snack in Russia. Apparently having a lot of pork fat in your stomach soaks up the alcohol. And thus, the way Nikita tells it, while the Canadian guests are on the floor puking, and praying to the porcelain God, the Russians are still drinking, dancing, and singing.

Back