Nature, beer, the coming holidays, or whatever.

What Nikita told me is that Russian will eat a big meal before drinking vodka, and more importantly they will eat a lot of salo, or other types of brine-cured pork fats. Which is considered a type of appetizer or snack in Russia. Apparently having a lot of pork fat in your stomach soaks up the alcohol. And thus, the way Nikita tells it, while the Canadian guests are on the floor puking, and praying to the porcelain God, the Russians are still drinking, dancing, and singing.

Hahahaha.... thanks! My late husband came from a long line of those-who-celebrate-the-joys-of-fermentation aka alkies. That's an old alky trick.... fill your belly up on high-fat foods before having a night out. In addition, if you're really wasted, stopping by a 24-hour fast food place (in STL it was White Castle) to coat your GI tract with fat would help stave off a hangover. Theoretically, anyways. I've only had killer hangovers maybe thrice in my life. My secret is to avoid drinking that much. lol

Hahahaha.... thanks! My late husband came from a long line of those-who-celebrate-the-joys-of-fermentation aka alkies. That's an old alky trick.... fill your belly up on high-fat foods before having a night out. In addition, if you're really wasted, stopping by a 24-hour fast food place (in STL it was White Castle) to coat your GI tract with fat would help stave off a hangover. Theoretically, anyways. I've only had killer hangovers maybe thrice in my life. My secret is to avoid drinking that much. lol

I don't think I have drank more than two beers at a time in 40 years

What kind of pot do you cook that in, something designed to hold used nuclear fuel rods?

Good gods, just reading the ingredients made me rush for the milk carton. lol

Large stainless steel soup pot. I was crushing up the scorpion peppers, and it made my sinuses tingle.

Large stainless steel soup pot. I was crushing up the scorpion peppers, and it made my sinuses tingle.

"Tingle"? I hope you don't have your mom in the same room with that! lol

I have to step away out the kitchen when cutting up the jalapenos from our garden before canning them. Good advice on gloves; I wear them. Maybe I should also get a mask?

cutting peppers 1.jpg

"Tingle"? I hope you don't have your mom in the same room with that! lol

I have to step away out the kitchen when cutting up the jalapenos from our garden before canning them. Good advice on gloves; I wear them. Maybe I should also get a mask?

View attachment 5226

She gets away when I deal with the peppers, but she will even stir it, if I need a restroom detour. Once it's in the pot, the capsaicin doesn't leech into the air much at all.

Wow, brave woman! But here's the $24000 question.... does she eat it?

The most she can handle is seeded Jalapenos in cornbread, or a light chipotle aioli on a sandwich. My stuff would probably require a paramedic, and oodles of milk in her case.

The most she can handle is seeded Jalapenos in cornbread, or a light chipotle aioli on a sandwich. My stuff would probably require a paramedic, and oodles of milk in her case.

No doubt! I make jalapeno cornbread for the man and the flock, and can eat maybe one piece w/o death. lol

Interesting how (at least in my experience) men can withstand and even seek out horrors like that chili and enjoy it.... while we delicate womanly types flee in terror. My husband would so eat that with you and love it too. WTF's wrong with you guys? lol

No doubt! I make jalapeno cornbread for the man and the flock, and can eat maybe one piece w/o death. lol

Interesting how (at least in my experience) men can withstand and even seek out horrors like that chili and enjoy it.... while we delicate womanly types flee in terror. My husband would so eat that with you and love it too. WTF's wrong with you guys? lol

You'd be surprised with who likes the heat. It is an acquired taste, that doesn't have bounds in gender. Some really good hot sauces are made by women. The chili is huge in Indian, Thai, and Jamaican cuisines. You can also find groups of obsessed chiliheads in Germany, Finland, Croatia, and England.

This is a discussion started by a former Amazon poster, but is for all that can behave. If your name is banned it's because you rarely behave. Talk about anything pleasant

Some of the art and photographs currently in my office.

5bada17954fe905041c9d82ea9db5b8229e10125.jpg

modernrebelspreview_fullsize_story1.jpg

h5_1985.63.5.jpg

ntm8-1-20.jpg

52179733.jpg

2dk0ch2.png

Last edited:
To close out November, here's something cool. A freighter passing by, ~ 8 miles out. This is the Walter J. McCarthy Jr. Great Lakes shipping traffic usually shuts down around now but so far they're keeping the Locks at Sault Ste. Marie open as they're still ice-free. We've twice seen the Arthur M. Anderson, the ship that was closest to the Edmund Fitzgerald when she sank. 42 years later she's still sailing.

walter j mccarthy jr 11-27-17a.jpg

Last edited:
Although the search recovered debris, including lifeboats and rafts, none of the crew were found.[62] On her final voyage, Fitzgerald's crew of 29 consisted of the captain, the first, second and third mates, five engineers, three oilers, a cook, a wiper, two maintenance men, three watchmen, three deckhands, three wheelsmen, two porters, a cadet and a steward. Most of the crew was from Ohio and Wisconsin;[63] their ages ranged from 20-year-old watchman Karl A. Peckol to Captain McSorley, 63*years old and planning his retirement.[64]

Although the search recovered debris, including lifeboats and rafts, none of the crew were found.[62] On her final voyage, Fitzgerald's crew of 29 consisted of the captain, the first, second and third mates, five engineers, three oilers, a cook, a wiper, two maintenance men, three watchmen, three deckhands, three wheelsmen, two porters, a cadet and a steward. Most of the crew was from Ohio and Wisconsin;[63] their ages ranged from 20-year-old watchman Karl A. Peckol to Captain McSorley, 63*years old and planning his retirement.[64]

Yeah, Anderson was the last ship to have contact with the Fitz. Sad ending. Accidents aside, it's amazing how long-lasting the freighters are, even exposed to the harsh conditions they endure. Anderson was commissioned in 1952. Some of the other freighters we've seen began life as vessels born during World War II, then later retrofitted and enlarged for more carrying capacity. Seeing them up close is amazing. Here's the Lee A. Tregurtha, at the Upper Harbor, waiting for a load of taconite. You can tell from the water line marks that she's still empty. She dates back to WWII.

tregurtha 9-19-16a.jpg

Back