Nature, beer, the coming holidays, or whatever.

How sweet is that! We just have 10 acres; most everyone else around here has 40 or more. Like you, our closest ones are a quarter mile north through the woods. We have a trail between our houses through the woods. We were going to extend some of the logging trails this past summer for snowshoeing, but never got around to it.

I bet it is quiet, and very dark at night there too, isn't it?

Thanks. :)

Ten acres is still a good chunk of land. I could tell by the pics we had similar properties. :)

Yes, it's very quiet and dark this time of year. My wife and I went for a walk last night, and it was kinda spooky. I love it, lol. My neighbor's property has a couple of good sized ponds just across from us. Between the frogs and crickets, it's quite the cacophony of racket in the summertime, but I love that too.

We have a few logging trails we keep semi maintained. We use them for property maintenance, walking, four wheeling and such. Snow shoeing sounds like fun. I always wanted to try cross country skiing too.

Like little kids.... "Look! Look at me! I said a bad word!"

I ended up swearing in public today, because I've been having a bad day. I had to rush off to a dental appointment, that I didn't remember, and I had my inferno chili the day before. I'll stop there, and skip forward. Mom drove me to my dental appointment, and we sat there for a long time. It wasn't till we got fed up, and asked, that it was found out my appointment was 11:30, and not 10:00.

After that we went to the local bakery, and when I walked in, I saw what I wanted, and was going to ask for it. Before I got a chance, some old lady went behind the counter, and grabbed it when the person at the counter went to slice some bread. She did this despite already having one. I should have spoke up, that was complete bullshit. I asked if they had more, when they said no I said forget about it, and walked out the door. I spoke out an obscenity after closing the door behind me. I swear the timing of things in life, almost seem like someones mocking me.

Here's something weird to share. It's a metal cover version of a hymn. It's by one of my absolute favorite bands.

Ten acres is still a good chunk of land. I could tell by the pics we had similar properties. :)

Yes, it's very quiet and dark this time of year. My wife and I went for a walk last night, and it was kinda spooky. I love it, lol. My neighbor's property has a couple of good sized ponds just across from us. Between the frogs and crickets, it's quite the cacophony of racket in the summertime, but I love that too.

We have a few logging trails we keep semi maintained. We use them for property maintenance, walking, four wheeling and such. Snow shoeing sounds like fun. I always wanted to try cross country skiing too.

I'm envious.... although we have Superior a half mile away to gaze on and love, no ponds or wetlands. We're upland boreal forest so fairly dry despite the annual precip total. I do miss hearing the spring peepers' songs, and the larger frogs later on, as well as tree frogs. Night is utterly silent here exc. when it's windy (it's windy a lot here). Sometimes you will hear Owl or Coyote or even Wolf, and Cricket, but that's it. Love it though. So nice to sleep with the windows open nearly year-round, lay in bed upstairs and watch the trees dance against the stars when the wind sings. When the wind is from the N or NW, Superior sings to us too with her surf booming down below against the shore. No sirens, no cars, no window-vibrating music, no human chatter. Just nature. :loveu:

I learned something in class (Anishinaabe/Ojibwe) today that you might appreciate. The word for bog or swamp is mashkiig, pronounced Mahsh-keeg. You might know that in Canada and Alaska, this is also the term for the difficult-to-traverse marshland called in English "muskeg." It comes from the word for medicine "mashkiki." It can also be translated as "pharmacy." Wetlands are a rich depository of strong medicinal plants like willow, cedar, Labrador tea, birch, sphagnum moss, tamarack. Although there aren't any wetlands on our property here, there are many within walking distance. Took a class this past summer to learn the plants and medicines of this area, and how the indigenous folks used them.

I ended up swearing in public today, because I've been having a bad day. I had to rush off to a dental appointment, that I didn't remember, and I had my inferno chili the day before. I'll stop there, and skip forward. Mom drove me to my dental appointment, and we sat there for a long time. It wasn't till we got fed up, and asked, that it was found out my appointment was 11:30, and not 10:00.

After that we went to the local bakery, and when I walked in, I saw what I wanted, and was going to ask for it. Before I got a chance, some old lady went behind the counter, and grabbed it when the person at the counter went to slice some bread. She did this despite already having one. I should have spoke up, that was complete bullshit. I asked if they had more, when they said no I said forget about it, and walked out the door. I spoke out an obscenity after closing the door behind me. I swear the timing of things in life, almost seem like someones mocking me.

Sorry you had such a frustrating day, JD. It sure does seem to go like that sometimes. Hopefully your dentist appt. wasn't a painful one.

I swear in public all the time. You'll get used to it. lol

Travels in rural Belarus- summer festival (vodka drinking: mandatory)

This is a discussion started by a former Amazon poster, but is for all that can behave. If your name is banned it's because you rarely behave. Talk about anything pleasant

2ewjxft.jpg

I'm envious.... although we have Superior a half mile away to gaze on and love, no ponds or wetlands. We're upland boreal forest so fairly dry despite the annual precip total. I do miss hearing the spring peepers' songs, and the larger frogs later on, as well as tree frogs. Night is utterly silent here exc. when it's windy (it's windy a lot here). Sometimes you will hear Owl or Coyote or even Wolf, and Cricket, but that's it. Love it though. So nice to sleep with the windows open nearly year-round, lay in bed upstairs and watch the trees dance against the stars when the wind sings. When the wind is from the N or NW, Superior sings to us too with her surf booming down below against the shore. No sirens, no cars, no window-vibrating music, no human chatter. Just nature. :loveu:

I learned something in class (Anishinaabe/Ojibwe) today that you might appreciate. The word for bog or swamp is mashkiig, pronounced Mahsh-keeg. You might know that in Canada and Alaska, this is also the term for the difficult-to-traverse marshland called in English "muskeg." It comes from the word for medicine "mashkiki." It can also be translated as "pharmacy." Wetlands are a rich depository of strong medicinal plants like willow, cedar, Labrador tea, birch, sphagnum moss, tamarack. Although there aren't any wetlands on our property here, there are many within walking distance. Took a class this past summer to learn the plants and medicines of this area, and how the indigenous folks used them.

That is so cool, and potentially useful. You're right, I do appreciate it. I have a great appreciation for native American culture and history. Thanks for sharing. :)

That is so cool, and potentially useful. You're right, I do appreciate it. I have a great appreciation for native American culture and history. Thanks for sharing. :)

My husband and I used to enjoy watching (and laughing at sometimes) that cable show "Doomsday Preppers." He always says he's glad he's got me because I can hunt, fish, snare, sew and cook from scratch, tan hides, how to find and know local foods and medicinal plants, how to treat wounds/broken bones/fevers/colds/flu, purify water, and how to make life in a post-modern homestead a little bit more survivable and pleasant. I lived most of my life in the suburbs. But instead of stockpiling guns n ammo, I have books and experience. It's my parents' fault. They gave me this book, "Alas Babylon," back in the early 60s. It was published in 1959. Scared the shorts off me, turned me into a survivor. Cool book, even though the tech is a bit outdated.

This is a discussion started by a former Amazon poster, but is for all that can behave. If your name is banned it's because you rarely behave. Talk about anything pleasant

My current lunch box collection.
You would be actually surprised how many people at work want to steal my Scooby Doo lunch box.

s-l300.jpg

s-l300.jpg

disney-star-wars-backpack-school-bag-black-kylo-ren-1469582945-34816221-3d4ecf76b534e9fbb2022061426df42c-product.jpg

I can't wait till I'm able to log my land and start building a house on it. About 20 years ago I got some land and logged it out. Then planted some black walnut. A couple more years and we can harvest it then start building.

I can't wait till I'm able to log my land and start building a house on it. About 20 years ago I got some land and logged it out. Then planted some black walnut. A couple more years and we can harvest it then start building.

Welcome back! Mind if I ask where your land is?

Things are looking crazy on the forum right now. Starting to get loaded down with trolling like Amazon used to.

Things are looking crazy on the forum right now. Starting to get loaded down with trolling like Amazon used to.

JD,if you didn't notice this forum is way over the top compared to Amazon,I never heard on Amazon.
"Cum gargler,motherfucker,cocksucker,cunt,and many more colorful everyday sayings.
It's a Toxic environment here.

We don't see much in the way of sunsets in the West here.... the house faces East and looks out over Superior, for one thing. Between us and the West are miles of forest, and the Huron Mtns. Once in a while though, if there are clouds to the East, they will reflect the glory in the West. This was one of those nights.

11-30-17a.jpg

A prior sunset, last fall:

sunset 10-9-16a.jpg

I guess it is a rural area? You'll love it there.

It's a little more rural yeah. The town we live in now is like 35k people. That land is like half hour away and ten minutes from a town with like a thousand people.

All in all everything looks like it's going to work out. I'm ready to kinda retire.

JD,if you didn't notice this forum is way over the top compared to Amazon,I never heard on Amazon.
"Cum gargler,motherfucker,cocksucker,cunt,and many more colorful everyday sayings.
It's a Toxic environment here.

Actually Music Man called me several things like that, back on Amazon. My point is more that troll discussions were all around, and more active. The page this morning looked like the old Gold Box Forum, on Amazon.

Back