Nature, beer, the coming holidays, or whatever.

It might have a different name in different regions, but it's often a shoulder or top round cut that's about 1" thick. I believe the name refers to a method of cooking, as the meat will be very tough if done wrong. Many people marinate it, but it really isn't necessary.

There's really not marbling, so prep is important. I just rub it with the onion soup mix. You can have it on the table in less than 10 minutes. Hmmm....slicing takes a bit of time.

On the grill, sear it for about 4 minutes, flip and sear for another 4 minutes. I let it rest under foil, and then slice across the grain. Make sure your cutting board can collect the juices, as they are amazing.

I slice it paper thin, holding the knife at a 45 degree angle. Some cut it thicker, but you can't beat the tenderness you get when it's really thin. Don't over cook it, or it's pet food.

It's often done with flank steak as well.

It might have a different name in different regions, but it's often a shoulder or top round cut that's about 1" thick. I believe the name refers to a method of cooking, as the meat will be very tough if done wrong. Many people marinate it, but it really isn't necessary.

There's really not marbling, so prep is important. I just rub it with the onion soup mix. You can have it on the table in less than 10 minutes. Hmmm....slicing takes a bit of time.

On the grill, sear it for about 4 minutes, flip and sear for another 4 minutes. I let it rest under foil, and then slice across the grain. Make sure your cutting board can collect the juices, as they are amazing.

I slice it paper thin, holding the knife at a 45 degree angle. Some cut it thicker, but you can't beat the tenderness you get when it's really thin. Don't over cook it, or it's pet food.

Thanks! I agree, I prefer meats and veggies done simply with a minimum of sauces and especially NO CHEESE.

I see Jade mentioned flank steak; not the same thing as London broil?

Thanks! I agree, I prefer meats and veggies done simply with a minimum of sauces and especially NO CHEESE.

I see Jade mentioned flank steak; not the same thing as London broil?

London broil is the cooking technique. When looking for recipes on how to cook it, it kept being directions for flank steak London broil.

London broil is the cooking technique. When looking for recipes on how to cook it, it kept being directions for flank steak London broil.

Thanks. Too bad we can't just agree on one name for stuff. lol At the grocery, the prime rib is labeled "standing rib roast." I kept looking for it in the butcher case and finally asked the butcher where is the prime rib that's on sale, not knowing that "standing rib roast" is its other name.

Thanks. Too bad we can't just agree on one name for stuff. lol At the grocery, the prime rib is labeled "standing rib roast." I kept looking for it in the butcher case and finally asked the butcher where is the prime rib that's on sale, not knowing that "standing rib roast" is its other name.

I saw a recipe using ribeye for London broil. That's just screwy, and a waste. London broil is for cooking meats that have full on flavor, but can get tough if cooked too much. It's not for a prime cut of steak. If I do steak I just do it in a cast iron skillet, with salt, and rosemary. I use a little grape seed oil. Oh, and I make sure to scrape rosemary up off the pan, that loosens off when you flip. It can start to darken, and add bad flavor.

I saw a recipe using ribeye for London broil. That's just screwy, and a waste. London broil is for cooking meats that have full on flavor, but can get tough if cooked too much. It's not for a prime cut of steak. If I do steak I just do it in a cast iron skillet, with salt, and rosemary. I use a little grape seed oil. Oh, and I make sure to scrape rosemary up off the pan, that loosens off when you flip. It can start to darken, and add bad flavor.

You sound like an amazing chef there!

You sound like an amazing chef there!

Only with certain things. Meats, hand made breads, chili, and I managed to get a really good vegetable stock made, for Mom. It didn't even need any salt. Mom's having the rest of her top teeth pulled Monday, and will be on a soft foods diet till they heal, and then get her full denture plate made. So she was splurging, and even got me doing it this holiday weekend. If you want the stock recipe I can give it.

Only with certain things. Meats, hand made breads, chili, and I managed to get a really good vegetable stock made, for Mom. It didn't even need any salt. Mom's having the rest of her top teeth pulled Monday, and will be on a soft foods diet till they heal, and then get her full denture plate made. So she was splurging, and even got me doing it this holiday weekend. If you want the stock recipe I can give it.

Oh no, poor lady. :~( She has my sympathy. She's lucky that she has you to help her out.

Yes, please post your stock recipe. I make my own chicken/turkey stock that's amazing. Periodically in the nice weather months I'll smoke a whole chicken. The skin, bones, fat, and leftover bits go into the stockpot to be rendered down for hours. I then strain the broth into pint and quart jars and freeze. The broth has an amazing smoky taste that gives soups, noodles, and potatoes a great taste. Our raven friends get the discards.

Ever had Franco-American over cut up hot dogs?yum!

LOL -- gross!

Tonight I'm making seafood fettucine with shrooms. The shrooms are the wonderous chanterelles I captured in the woods last summer and preserved. Then crab meat and claims, white wine, parmesan cheese. Whole wheat noodles.

So there. Nyah. lol

This is a discussion started by a former Amazon poster, but is for all that can behave. If your name is banned it's because you rarely behave. Talk about anything pleasant

Today, I made okroshka. A Russian cold soup made from kefir, cucumber, dill, radish, potato, scallions, sour cream. I learned it from a lady I visited in Minsk, Belarus. Thank you, Natasha!
this is okroshka (stock photo).

1b9cew62c54m-640.jpg

Tomorrow, I am going to visit my friend Svetlana, she makes delicious bird's milk cake - a traditional Russian layer cake, with light soufflé and topped with dark chocolate glaze. I consider it decadent!
stock photo....
348s.jpg

Today, I made okroshka. A Russian cold soup made from kefir, cucumber, dill, radish, potato, scallions, sour cream. I learned it from a lady I visited in Minsk, Belarus. Thank you, Natasha!
this is okroshka (stock photo).

1b9cew62c54m-640.jpg

Tomorrow, I am going to visit my friend Svetlana, she makes delicious bird's milk cake - a traditional Russian layer cake, with light soufflé and topped with dark chocolate glaze. I consider it decadent!
stock photo....
348s.jpg

Is that pic your actual soup? And will you share the recipe?

Oh no, poor lady. :~( She has my sympathy. She's lucky that she has you to help her out.

Yes, please post your stock recipe. I make my own chicken/turkey stock that's amazing. Periodically in the nice weather months I'll smoke a whole chicken. The skin, bones, fat, and leftover bits go into the stockpot to be rendered down for hours. I then strain the broth into pint and quart jars and freeze. The broth has an amazing smoky taste that gives soups, noodles, and potatoes a great taste. Our raven friends get the discards.

These are the veggies I used for a large pot. You could cut it in half.

1 large sweet potato
1/2 rutabaga
3 rainbow carrots, and their greens. 1 purple, 1 yellow, 1 orange.
1 large sweet onion
2 cipollini onions
1 bulb of garlic separated, and smashed
A handful of snow pea pods
4 stalks of celery
4 radicchio leaves
2-3 baby bok choy leaves
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
10 dried shiitake mushrooms, submerged in water, and cleaned of dirt.
Parsley stems (cut about inch, and a half off the bottom of an entire bunch)
1 full leaf of this, is what I'll call my special ingredient: https://www.amazon.com/Maine-Coast-..._rd_wg=abhNl&refRID=T44D7GCBKVQ6762K7GW9&th=1

Seasonings 8-15 pink peppercorns, TBSP of both dried rosemary, and dried Marjoram.

It was all cut into large pieces (besides the mushrooms, pea pods, and special ingredient, which were left whole) and simmered on low for 25-30 hours. If you know how to make stocks, I won't get technical on things like straining, etc. Just fill a bowl with the veggies, and refill that same bowl to that line with cold water. Add little bits more if you think it's getting low during cooking. I lid up for overnight.

It was really good, and didn't need any salt. Could probably consume it as is, or you can use it for whatever. The scraps can feed the animals, or be thrown into compost. Can you believe this was my first attempt? Mom did provide input, but this was my recipe.

Last edited:
These are the veggies I used for a large pot. You could cut it in half.

1 large sweet potato
1/2 rutabaga
3 rainbow carrots, and their greens. 1 purple, 1 yellow, 1 orange.
1 large sweet onion
2 cipollini onions
1 bulb of garlic separated, and smashed
A handful of snow pea pods
4 stalks of celery
4 radicchio leaves
2-3 baby bok choy leaves
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
10 dried shiitake mushrooms, submerged in water, and cleaned of dirt.
Parsley stems (cut about inch, and a half off the bottom of an entire bunch)
1 full leaf of this, is what I'll call my special ingredient: https://www.amazon.com/Maine-Coast-..._rd_wg=abhNl&refRID=T44D7GCBKVQ6762K7GW9&th=1

Seasonings 8-15 pink peppercorns, TBSP of both dried rosemary, and dried Marjoram.

It was all cut into large pieces (besides the mushrooms, pea pods, and special ingredient, which were left whole) and simmered on low for 25-30 hours. If you know how to make stocks, I won't get technical on things like straining, etc. Just fill a bowl with the veggies, and refill that same bowl to that line with cold water. Add little bits more if you think it's getting low during cooking. I lid up for overnight.

It was really good, and didn't need any salt. Could probably consume it as is, or you can use it for whatever. The scraps can feed the animals, or be thrown into compost. Can you believe this was my first attempt? Mom did provide input, but this was my recipe.

That looks and sounds both super healthy and super delicious. Thanks, Jade!

Back