Nature, beer, the coming holidays, or whatever.

Nice.

Lol, that turkey mama and baby pic is from a few years ago, I hope they are safe too. I'm not a hunter, but I'm not against it either. As long as the meat doesn't go to waste. I think trophy hunting is a travesty. I almost hit a deer last night on the way home from work. :~/ Its a rural area, but this one came right out from the downtown of a little historical village in the area.

They sure can pop out of no where, can't they? Glad you missed.

I feel the same way about hunting; couldn't bear to shoot something unless we were starving. It's more fun anyways (at least to me) to stalk them with the camera.

Sometimes they come to you though! Last spring we had a lot of lovely migrants pass through, plus these two turkeys. I can't tell the males from the females unless the tom has his tail on display. Can you tell what gender these are by looking?

4-8-17b.jpg

That pic isn't very clear. Maybe this one?

4-8-17c.jpg

Last edited:
They sure can pop out of no where, can't they? Glad you missed.

I feel the same way about hunting; couldn't bear to shoot something unless we were starving. It's more fun anyways (at least to me) to stalk them with the camera.

Sometimes they come to you though! Last spring we had a lot of lovely migrants pass through, plus these two turkeys. I can't tell the males from the females unless the tom has his tail on display. Can you tell what gender these are by looking?

View attachment 5200

That pic isn't very clear. Maybe this one?

View attachment 5201

Hard to tell from the pics, the Toms will have some feathers hanging from their chest, hunter's I know refer to this as a "beard". I didn't take this pic, just pulled it off the net real quick. It shows the "beard". I guess you can somewhat judge the age of a Tom by the size and length of the "beard".

I was trying to find a pic I have of a whole gaggle of turkeys that showed up one winter and ate all the crab apples off a tree in our yard. It was comical to see these big birds make their way around this fairly small tree. They are clutzy little buggers. Sometimes they'll spook and take off in flight, then crash into the trees of a nearby pine woods. While they are fairly graceful flyers, they can't land very well, lol.

While I am not an official "bird watcher", I certainly appreciate avians of all types. We have quite a few around these parts. I think geographically, your location is similar. Your pics look very similar to the landscape around here. Beautiful to my eye. :)

Wild-Turkey-with-beard-660x445.jpg

its more like wing assisted jumping

look at the size of their legs

Nope, they are full flyers. Like I said, they will get spooked and crash into the pine woods several hundred yards away, and 50-60 feet up.

Did you know Ben Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be the national bird?

Hard to tell from the pics, the Toms will have some feathers hanging from their chest, hunter's I know refer to this as a "beard". I didn't take this pic, just pulled it off the net real quick. It shows the "beard". I guess you can somewhat judge the age of a Tom by the size and length of the "beard".

I was trying to find a pic I have of a whole gaggle of turkeys that showed up one winter and ate all the crab apples off a tree in our yard. It was comical to see these big birds make their way around this fairly small tree. They are clutzy little buggers. Sometimes they'll spook and take off in flight, then crash into the trees of a nearby pine woods. While they are fairly graceful flyers, they can't land very well, lol.

While I am not an official "bird watcher", I certainly appreciate avians of all types. We have quite a few around these parts. I think geographically, your location is similar. Your pics look very similar to the landscape around here. Beautiful to my eye. :)

Wild-Turkey-with-beard-660x445.jpg

Aw, thanks. The Great Lakes region is as spectacular in its own way as the West can be. At least if you avoid the industrialized places.

So that's what they mean by a beard. One of these guys does have a little dangly bit there. One of the neighbors told us that the previous owners here had names for them, that they were frequent visitors. The previous owners have a bakery in town and used to bring home stale unsold stuff for the wildlife. Mishka the Bear liked them just fine, especially the donuts. Here he is pillaging the hummingbird feeder last June.

6-26-17f.jpg

Did anyone venture out for Black Friday shopping adventures? We didn't. Already got almost all the Xmas shopping done... on-line. Grocery store had prime rib on sale so got a small one to fix tonight. Have never made it before but it looks easy enough, so we'll see. Kind of intimidating because even on sale it's a pricey cut of meat.

Tomorrow it's time to decorate for the winter holidays. Last week we chose our Yule tree out of our woods; might do that again this year, or just decorate the ginormous rosemary bush in the bay window instead. We saved a bit of last year's Yule log for this year.

What's going on with the rest of your weekend?

From our casa to yours:

thanksgiving dawn 2017.jpg

Last edited:
Did anyone venture out for Black Friday shopping adventures? We didn't. Already got almost all the Xmas shopping done... on-line. Grocery store had prime rib on sale so got a small one to fix tonight. Have never made it before but it looks easy enough, so we'll see. Kind of intimidating because even on sale it's a pricey cut of meat.

Tomorrow it's time to decorate for the winter holidays. Last week we chose our Yule tree out of our woods; might do that again this year, or just decorate the ginormous rosemary busy in the bay window instead. We saved a bit of last year's Yule log for this year.

From our casa to yours:

View attachment 5207

I'd keep it simple if it was me. I'd rub a prime rib with salt, rosemary, ground pink peppercorn, and maybe a little bit of smoked paprika, and roast it till medium rare, to medium. You can join yummly for free, and look up prime rib rubs. https://www.yummly.com/

I would suggest a Bengali Curry if it was a top round roast. Made the best roast beef I've had, by slathering it with it, and roasting it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bengali-Cu...029616?hash=item2817dcab70:g:1JIAAOSwQNRXL-hx

I'd keep it simple if it was me. I'd rub a prime rib with salt, rosemary, ground pink peppercorn, and maybe a little bit of smoked paprika, and roast it till medium rare, to medium. You can join yummly for free, and look up prime rib rubs. https://www.yummly.com/

I would suggest a Bengali Curry if it was a top round roast. Made the best roast beef I've had, by slathering it with it, and roasting it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bengali-Cu...029616?hash=item2817dcab70:g:1JIAAOSwQNRXL-hx

Thanks! You sound like a gourmet cook. It turned out really well. A bit more rare than my husband preferred so he got the outer portions that were to his liking. I got the inside part that was still mooing. lol

Tomorrow it's time to decorate for the winter holidays. Last week we chose our Yule tree out of our woods; might do that again this year, or just decorate the ginormous rosemary busy in the bay window instead. We saved a bit of last year's Yule log for this year.

From our casa to yours:

View attachment 5207
Biggest sin, over cooking it, I love it rare though!

Wild turkey isn't great for eating, so I think it's safe. I never knew those big old turkeys could fly until Hazel chased one, and it ended up on a tree branch.
Yup....they have to be able to roost at night, or they're sitting....turkeys.

Did you know Ben Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be the national bird?
Yes...he (rightfully so)considered eagles to be scavangers. He may have thought turkeys were much smarter, but I believe it's their eyesight that keeps them alive. Hell...they walk right out in the road at noon.

Thanks! You sound like a gourmet cook. It turned out really well. A bit more rare than my husband preferred so he got the outer portions that were to his liking. I got the inside part that was still mooing. lol
Our grocery store runs rib roasts for $5-$6/lb about four or five times per year. I'm not really a meat eater, but whenever my significant (female) other ;) starts being nice to me, I feed her meat. It makes her mean again.

For years, I'd select a roast that was 2 or 3 ribs. I trim off the excess fat, and stab it with a knife as if it were trump.

I rub it with onion powder, crushed garlic, and kosher salt. I put the oven on broil, and brown both sides. Then I turn the oven down to 250 and slow cook it a couple of hours.

If I have a bigger roast for more people, I cut it in half in order to expose more 'ends', and do the same.

Take it out when the center reaches 130 degrees, and cover with foil for about ten minutes.

That was then. Now, I just cut it into steaks, rub the same spices, and sear it in a cast iron skillet. I finish it on the grill in a fraction of the time. Still comes out better than any restaurant.

Back