Nature, beer, the coming holidays, or whatever.

First time I saw it, I had already moved from Vt. but was up for a visit in the winter. Leaving a bar in the wee hours, a bunch of people were talking about it. Unfortunately, the moon was full, so visibility was poor. But...you could still make out the spiraling curtain of color.

I believe I did see it as a child, in a suburb of NYC. We were sleigh riding at night, and there was this big green cloud low in the sky. Typically, that area shouldn't be good for viewing, but it was the 60s, so it might have been a rare phenom.

I got a much better view one night on another visit to Vt.

Oh, sleigh-riding... how cool is that? What a lovely memory that must be.

That was from our deck, which faces east, looking to the NNE. At its height it stretched from NNW to ENE! We live in the UP of Michigan. That's Superior reflecting the light.

Wow, what a show, from the deck no less.

What do you do with the owls? My wife and I love owls. We have a lot of great horned, and barred owls in our woods.

Wow, what a show, from the deck no less.
What do you do with the owls? My wife and I love owls. We have a lot of great horned, and barred owls in our woods.

When we lived in STL I was a volunteer with the World Bird Sanctuary in the wildlife hospital.
If you watch a few Youtube videos and listen to their calls, you can learn to call them to you. They're territorial and will think you are a rival moving in.

Well tomorrow's Thanksgiving. I plan on eating into a nice food comma, and watch some TV. Not much else you can do in a food comma, since laying down for a nap is a mistake you don't want to make.

Well tomorrow's Thanksgiving. I plan on eating into a nice food comma, and watch some TV. Not much else you can do in a food comma, since laying down for a nap is a mistake you don't want to make.

I use to do that,but no more,we go to a church dinner,eat a plate and dessert,but no pigging out

I use to do that,but no more,we go to a church dinner,eat a plate and dessert,but no pigging out

When you've been dieting like me, you'd pig out on skip days as well. I normally avoid sweets, pop, carbs for the most part. I also only have 8 oz's of meat a day. I haven't had good pastries, cake, fresh bread, or anything sugary for some time. I'm going whole hog.

When you've been dieting like me, you'd pig out on skip days as well. I normally avoid sweets, pop, carbs for the most part. I also only have 8 oz's of meat a day. I haven't had good pastries, cake, fresh bread, or anything sugary for some time. I'm going whole hog.

Have a good time!
I noticed you said "pop", that's a Midwest term,the coast use " soda"

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Back atcha Owl Lady. :)

I know a guy from a trade forum I'm on, who actually has a government gig counting owls. Once a year he goes out into the wilderness (Pacific Northwest, I think) for a couple of weeks and literally gets paid to count spotted owls. I'm not big on wasteful government spending, but that's a sweet gig if you can get it, lol. :D

In honor of Thanksgiving, here's the full size image of my avatar, taken from my kitchen window.

baby turkey crop_600x600.jpg

Back atcha Owl Lady. :)

I know a guy from a trade forum I'm on, who actually has a government gig counting owls. Once a year he goes out into the wilderness (Pacific Northwest, I think) for a couple of weeks and literally gets paid to count spotted owls. I'm not big on wasteful government spending, but that's a sweet gig if you can get it, lol. :D

In honor of Thanksgiving, here's the full size image of my avatar, taken from my kitchen window.

View attachment 5184

I hope he's currently in a safe undisclosed location. ;~)

Hunting season (called "deer camp" here) opened a week ago Wednesday. This afternoon I laid out a spread for our wild friends, and was thankful to see that these two handsome young men have escaped the carnage -- so far.

11-23-17a.jpg

11-23-17b.jpg

I ate like a pig, and the days not over yet. Lucky I bought cookies, a Lindt white chocolate bar, and a Reese's, with the Reese's Pieces inside

Last edited:
I ate like a pig, and the days not over yet. Lucky I bought cookies, a Lindt white chocolate bar, and a Reese's, with the Reese's Pieces inside

We haven't started yet. Went to the gym, then been cookin' n mixin' ever since. Neighbors coming over in a few minutes for pre-supper wine n snacks, then it's stuffin' time. ;~)

Have a great evening, everyone.

I don't know if I've eaten more mashed potatoes at a meal before. But since it's major carbs, and mostly cut out of my diet, I ate more of them than anything else.

Hunting season (called "deer camp" here) opened a week ago Wednesday. This afternoon I laid out a spread for our wild friends, and was thankful to see that these two handsome young men have escaped the carnage -- so far.

View attachment 5185

View attachment 5186

Wild turkey isn't great for eating, so I think it's safe. I never knew those big old turkeys could fly until Hazel chased one, and it ended up on a tree branch.

View attachment 5185

View attachment 5186

Nice.

Lol, that turkey mama and baby pic is from a few years ago, I hope they are safe too. I'm not a hunter, but I'm not against it either. As long as the meat doesn't go to waste. I think trophy hunting is a travesty. I almost hit a deer last night on the way home from work. :~/ Its a rural area, but this one came right out from the downtown of a little historical village in the area.

Back