Perseid meteor shower peaks this weekend

The geometry of spacetime depends on the density of the universe. At certain densities, spacetime wraps around on itself and gives space a positive curvature. That makes the universe finite. If you headed off in one direction, trillions of years later you would end up back where you started.

I just intuitively feel infinity is not a real, tangible physical reality. It is an abstract mathmatical concept existing only in our conciousness. But that's just my opinion.

I grew up on Star Trek, so I would be thrilled and electrified by alien sentient life. I just think the conservative scientific assumption is that after another century or two of finding no footprints in the EM spectrum, and no tangible evidence of alien visitors to our solar system, we could justifiably assume we are the only advanced intelligence in the galaxy.

That still leaves unanswered the question "What lies outside of and beyond those finite limits?"

Has to be something or nothing.

Then, how long and far does that stretch and what lies beyond the limits of that?

So absent an explanation, we're right back to infinity again.

Other galaxies are too remote for even the possibility of visiting or studying for signs of life. So its almost a mute point to consider it. And it would be curious that in a galaxy as large as the Milky Way, we would be the only advanced sentient intelligence.

FYI - the term is "moot" point. :thup:

https://www.dictionary.com/e/moot-point-vs-mute-point/

Everyone except Trumpers knows it's an insult that is hardly politically correct these days. It belies a certain vileness of personality of those who use it.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you are so amped up about "lies". I get it. You're such a virtue bucket. Just full to the brim of virtue.
It's an insult to ridicule the education of others and call them names but that doesn't seem to bother you, Perry. Besides, if it's true, it's not an insult. What's your IQ, Perry?

See, Perry? You insulted me and I'm not getting upset like you did about being retarded. :thup:

Calling someone a poseur is an insult if it's a lie and, yes, Perry, it's a lie. You lie a lot. Why?

In a realm of theories complex and grand,
Dwelled an idiot, lost in a curious land,
With fervor he proclaimed, "It's quantum, you see!",
Yet his understanding was a shallow sea.

With furrowed brows, he'd pontificate,
On particles dancing in uncertain state,
His words a mishmash, a jumbled display,
Of quantum concepts in disarray.

He'd ponder over coffee, deep in thought,
Mumbling about entanglement, all for naught,
His notions a tangle of misguided bliss,
A carnival of quantum, gone amiss.

He'd gaze at stars, his mind afloat,
Believing quantum magic was their remote,
Uncertainty principle, he'd proudly assert,
But his grasp on the concept was but desert.

He'd speak of wave functions, ever so bright,
Yet they'd crumble in the face of insight,
A symphony of confusion, his mental parade,
A dance of misunderstanding, his charade.

Oh, the fool who in quarks and strings believed,
In quantum realms, he was truly deceived,
He thought himself a genius, the master of spins,
Yet his knowledge was a fabric of chaotic sins.

So let's remember, dear friends, with a grin,
That not all who speak of quantum will win,
For understanding requires more than just zeal,
In the world of particles, truths to reveal.

It's an insult to ridicule the education of others and call them names but that doesn't seem to bother you, Perry. Besides, if it's true, it's not an insult. What's your IQ, Perry?

See, Perry? You insulted me and I'm not getting upset like you did about being retarded. :thup:

There once was a man named Doc Dutch,
Whose knowledge was quite out of touch.
He'd ponder and ponder,
On facts that would wander,
Yet his grasp on education was such.

Oh good Christ. The poseur now is an expert on relativity. LOL.

That's funny that what I wrote sounded to you like 'expertise' in general relativity.

What I wrote is basic knowledge out of a freshman level introductory cosmology course, or knowledge available to anyone who reads cosmology articles written by science journalists.

For somebody who made it a point to boast about supposedly having a geochem PhD, you sure do seem to be flabbergasted frequently about basic freshman and undergraduate science.

That's funny that what I wrote sounded to you like expertise in general relativity.

What I wrote is basic knowledge out of a freshman level introductory cosmology course, or knowledge available to anyone who reads cosmology articles written by science journalists.

For somebody who made it a point to boast about supposedly having a geochem PhD, you sure do seem to be flabbergasted a lot about basic freshman and undergraduate science.

There once was a Cypress so keen,
Whose intellect often seemed supreme.
He'd pontificate wide,
With inflated stride,
But facts were a distant daydream.

There once was a man named Doc Dutch,
Whose knowledge was quite out of touch.
He'd ponder and ponder,
On facts that would wander,
Yet his grasp on education was such.
Looks like the retard's daddy bought him a ChatGPT subscription.

Good. Maybe you'll learn something, Perry. :thup:

That still leaves unanswered the question "What lies outside of and beyond those finite limits?"

Has to be something or nothing.

Then, how long and far does that stretch and what lies beyond the limits of that?

So absent an explanation, we're right back to infinity again.

FYI - the term is "moot" point. :thup:

https://www.dictionary.com/e/moot-point-vs-mute-point/

That's not the right question.

Given a universe of positive curvature, there is no 'outside' something the universe is expanding into.

The galaxies aren't really moving in the expanding universe model. It's the empty space between galaxies which is expanding. The universe is not expanding into 'something.'

So infinite space is not required.

I would like to see more of these radio frequency detections. That's something I could get excited about -->

The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected on August 15, 1977, by Ohio State University's Big Ear radio telescope in the United States, then used to support the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. The signal appeared to come from the direction of the constellation Sagittarius and bore the expected hallmarks of extraterrestrial origin.

The entire signal sequence lasted for the full 72-second window during which Big Ear was able to observe it, but has not been detected since, despite several subsequent attempts by Ehman and others. Many hypotheses have been advanced on the origin of the emission, including natural and human-made sources, but none of them adequately explain the signal.

Although the Wow! signal had no detectable modulation—a technique used to transmit information over radio waves—it remains the strongest candidate for an extraterrestrial radio transmission ever detected.

When astronomers tried to follow up, the signal was gone. It happened just this one time, and then not anything else like it, not from this region, or any other region in the the sky.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal

https://www.universetoday.com/122409/what-was-the-wow-signal/

That's not the right question.

Given a universe of positive curvature, there is no 'outside' something the universe is expanding into.

The galaxies aren't really moving in the expanding universe model. It's the empty space between galaxies which is expanding. The universe is not expanding into 'something.'

So infinite space is not required.

I would like to see more of these radio frequency detections. That's something I could get excited about -->

So the guy who didn't know that sea water could stay liquid below 32F and who thinks the phrase is "mute point" knows about space-time curvature.

It is getting positively hilarious at this point.

So the guy who didn't know that sea water could stay liquid below 32F and who thinks the phrase is "mute point" knows about space-time curvature.

^^^
More evidence Perry has an obsessive compulsion to prove he's better educated and more intelligent than others. Clearly the opposite is true.

The main mystery is "Why is Perry so obsessed with this?"

There once was a Cypress so keen,
Whose intellect often seemed supreme.
He'd pontificate wide,
With inflated stride,
But facts were a distant daydream.

Still writing poems about me?

Sounds like it's time for the rubber room.

The reason I know you lied about being awarded a glorious science Phd is that sophomore concepts like entropy and elementary cosmology sound like 'expertise' to you. To your ear they sound like exotic and esoteric concepts only PhDs would know about.

The reason your knowledge of science is at the neophyte level is because you're just reacting to what I write, and frantically googling to find tidbits of scientific info to respond to me.

Learning science is work. You cannot see the forest through the trees by frantically googling.

You think you have to pay for ChatGPT access, grandpa?

No, Perry. I just wanted to see you admit it. You run from direct questions but are so obsessed with being superior you can't resist doing so.

For you, Perry PhD:

In the realm of knowledge, poor Perry did roam,
An obsessive need for superiority was his own,
A scholar of great stature, so he believed,
Yet in his heart, a hunger never relieved.

He collected accolades, a mountain tall,
But deeper still, his insecurities would sprawl,
For superiority crumbled in its hollow core,
A mask he wore, a role to deplore.

In shadows cast by towering pride,
Genuine connections, he did hide,
Missing the beauty of learning's dance,
Lost in the grip of a fleeting chance.

Oh, poor Perry, what wisdom to gain,
To let go of ego, to release the chain,
For true knowledge is found in humility's grace,
A journey of growth, an evolving embrace.

In seeking to rise above, you may find,
The beauty of sharing, the heart's true bind,
Let go of the need to be superior's crown,
And in your newfound wisdom, you'll truly be renowned.

Still writing poems about me?

The reason I know you lied about being awarded a glorious science Phd is that sophomore concepts like entropy and elementary cosmology sound like 'expertise' to you. To your ear they sound like exotic and esoteric concepts only PhDs would know about.

The reason your knowledge of science is at the neophyte level is because you're just reacting to what I write, and frantically googling to find tidbits of scientific info to respond to me.

Learning science is work. You cannot see the forest through the trees by frantically googling.

SERIOUSLY? The guy who thought it was "mute point" and who didn't know salt water could remain unfrozen below 0degC is telling me I'm not very knowledgable????

The guy who didn't even fucking know the word "autodidact"?

Wow.

Hilarious.

Look, I get it, you hate me and you want to score points on me and the best way you know how is to mock the travails of people in actual literal pain.

You are one sick fuck. You have no ethics. Your morality is that of the housefly.

Why do you mock the disabled? You seem a LOT like Trump.

My post didn't say 'sewater'

Liquid water can't exist in that phase below 0 C, so it can't be that cold.

The watery core of Enceladus exists beneath a frozen crust, and my sense is that the interior of Enceladus is heated by gravitational tidal forces by it's orbital dynamics with Saturn

Liquid water, as in freshwater, always has a freezing point of 0 C at standard atmospheric conditions.

I didn't account for pressure differences on Enceladus because I have no idea what they are, and it's not important enough to the point I wrote about to do a google research project

There was absolutely no reason for me to assume the subsurface water reservoir on Enceladus has the salinity of Earth's oceans. Earth's oceans are salty largely because of the erosion of minerals on the continents and their delivery to the oven basins by rivers or other hydrologic processes.

Explain to me erosion and rivers there are on Enceladus that would lead me to assume the subsurface water is highly saline.

Since that evidence doesn't exist, a good assumption is that the subsurface water on Enceladus has a low dissolved mineral content, aka it approximates freshwater.

Liquid water, as in freshwater, always has a freezing point of 0 C at standard atmospheric conditions.

I didn't account for pressure differences on Enceladus because I have no idea what they are, and it's not important enough to the point I made to do google research.

There was absolutely no reason for me to assume the subsurface water reservoir on Enceladus has the salinity of Earth's oceans. Earth's oceans are salty largely because of the erosion of minerals on the continents and their delivery to the oven basins by rivers or other hydrologic processes.

Explain to me erosion and rivers there are on Enceladus that would lead me to assume the subsurface water is highly saline.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Love to see you tapdance. So refreshing.

Is it a "mute point" yet? LOLOL.

I didn't account for pressure differences on Enceladus because I have no idea what they are, and it's not important enough to the point I wrote about to do a google research project

Since that evidence doesn't exist, a good assumption is that the subsurface water on Enceladus has a low dissolved mineral content, aka it approximates freshwater.

Why don't you actually be honest about what you claimed:

Liquid water can't exist in that phase below 0 C, so it can't be that cold.

Back