Republicans absent from March on Washington

it's my contention that it is a possibility that many were not invited and the ones that were invited were those that the inviters knew couldn't make it. This might have been done to score political points.

You're still not telling me why any republican should have been invited.

They hate black people .. and lets not do the PC song and dance .. they hate black people.

Posted without comment:

The Senate’s only black lawmaker wasn’t invited to speak at Wednesday’s 50th anniversary March on Washington, because Tim Scott’s office declined an invitation to attend the ceremony as a spectator, according to a source connected to the event.

“Much of the speaking program was created based on those who were able to confirm availability to attend the event, and thus were able to speak at the event,” the source explained.

And based on an email exchange obtained by CQ Roll Call, the South Carolina Republican did receive an invitation to attend the festivities commemorating Martin Luther King Jr.’s delivery of the famous “I Have a Dream” speech.

The invitation, sent Aug. 8 from the Coalition for the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington, appears to have been a form letter to all members of Congress, with invitees listed as “Representative” rather than by name.

Within a day, Rachel Shelbourne, a staff assistant to Scott, had replied to the email with the following message:

Thank you for extending to Senator Tim Scott the invitation to the 50th Anniversary of the March on Washington on August 28th. Unfortunately, the Senator will be in South Carolina during this time, so he will be unable to attend the event. Please do, however, keep him in mind for future events you may be hosting.”

http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/tim-scott-declined-invite-to-attend-march-as-spectator/

ghwb and gwb i can understand, but the rest of the gop, surely they must of known that this date and its attendant celebration was coming. i think that you are correct they either did not care or were more worried about their base/constituents

Maybe they didn't go because they knew no black conservatives were invited.

It seems as if they felt it was a good idea for them not to be there. My guess is they believe their rabid base wouldn't like it.

What is funny is that their minions love to come on line and claim that MLK Jr WAS a Republican, and yet you can't get a freaking Republican to attend an important anniversary event for him.

APPLAUSE :hand:

Let me repeat this one more time to see if I can find someone who can answer ..

Why should anyone have gone out of their way to invite republicans .. who are opposed to everything black.

1) Not all of them are.
2) Maybe they would learn something.
3) Those who are opposed to everything black are pretending they are not.
4) Because when they refuse they will be exposed for who they really are.

It seems as if they felt it was a good idea for them not to be there. My guess is they believe their rabid base wouldn't like it.

What is funny is that their minions love to come on line and claim that MLK Jr WAS a Republican, and yet you can't get a freaking Republican to attend an important anniversary event for him.

Or maybe they didn't like this guy not being invited.

Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.), the only black Republican senator, was not invited to attend,

Why wasn't he invited?

If I were Speaker of the House and was not invited I would have showed up and insisted on being involved. If they prevented me from being involved Id have thrown a fit, if for no other reason than to show my constituents that I support the spirit of the event and want to recognize its historical significance!

If I were Speaker of the House and was not invited I would have showed up and insisted on being involved. If they prevented me from being involved Id have thrown a fit, if for no other reason than to show my constituents that I support the spirit of the event and want to recognize its historical significance!

Boehner was invited to speak at the event. He declined.

Were I a Congressman and was not invited, Id have called a press conference and asked why not!

Back