Republicans absent from March on Washington

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) attended the original March on Washington in 1963. As a congressional intern at the time, he stood on the steps of the U.S. Capitol as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech. He was not invited to Wednesday's event.

Proof, please. I read his aides had not responded.

You're white?

Yep, and I confess that most of my caucasian brothers here in America, from the inception of the country up to this very moment have endeavored and continue to endeavor to keep Blacks as second class citizens. You know as well as I that in public most everybody bellows to whomever will listen how colorblind they are but boy at home around the dinner table its "nigger this" and "nigger that".

This country was founded by racists, its a part of American culture. Demos have at least tried to turn a leaf and move towards reconciliation but Repubs.......................today's Repubs endeavor to turn back the clock so how any Black can fall in line with Repubs is beyond me.

Yep, and I confess that most of my caucasian brothers here in America, from the inception of the country up to this very moment have endeavored and continue to endeavor to keep Blacks as second class citizens. You know as well as I that in public most everybody bellows to whomever will listen how colorblind they are but boy at home around the dinner table its "nigger this" and "nigger that".

This country was founded by racists, its a part of American culture. Demos have at least tried to turn a leaf and move towards reconciliation but Repubs.......................today's Repubs endeavor to turn back the clock so how any Black can fall in line with Repubs is beyond me.

Interesting you talk about the racism of others with you, a white male, accusing smart successful blacks of trying to act white and selling out. Maybe you need to do some self evaluation.

Interesting you talk about the racism of others with you, a white male, accusing smart successful blacks of trying to act white and selling out. Maybe you need to do some self evaluation.

Smart, successful? Well I guess the same could be said of some whores too, same cloth.

Smart Blacks can see that they are only being used as tokens by Repubs and that 21st century conservatism seeks to enslave them anew.

Then please explain what you believe the GOP should do to address the racial issues you seem to believe they have caused.

I have no clue what republicans could, should, or can do. That's for them to figure out, or not.

It's their hate, why would you expect me to have a cure for it?

I think I got it.......................you aren't smart enough to catch on, i'm over your head. Its ok, you aren't the first.

Uhh, no, I get it quite clearly. You don't give a sh*t about blacks either as long as they vote Democratic.

Washington (CNN) - Organizers of Wednesday's 50th anniversary March on Washington did not invite the nation's only African-American senator to speak at the civil rights commemoration, his office said, a sign of the complicated politics of racial equality.

Republican Tim Scott of South Carolina was appointed to the position in January, is currently the only black senator and is one of only eight African-Americans to ever serve in the U.S. Senate.

"Senator Scott was not invited to speak at the event," his press secretary, Greg Blair, told CNN in a statement about the 50th anniversary gathering in Washington. Blair would not say if Scott would have accepted an invitation to speak, nor if he was disappointed at the lack of an invite.

"Today's anniversary should simply serve as an opportunity to reflect upon how their actions moved our country forward in a remarkable way," Blair demurred.

March organizers responded that they invited every member of Congress to attend the event, but anniversary spokesman Sarah Coppersmith told CNN she did not know whether Scott was invited to give remarks.

President Barack Obama was the prime speaker at the Lincoln Memorial event Wednesday, heading up a list that skewed Democratic, including Reps. Donna Edwards, D-Maryland, and Marcia Fudge, D-Ohio, former Democratic presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton and the leaders of two major unions.

Some others at the podium, including Oprah Winfrey and actor Jamie Foxx, came from outside of politics.

Back