states where the most people go hungry

That part is very true. I paid last week $6.50 for a box of cereal at the corner market two blocks from me that costs between $4 - $5 at Safeway and $3 at Walmart.

Grrr. Cereal prices have gotten me outraged for years. Why did something that used to be cheap when I was a kid get so freaking expensive? What changed? I think the mark ups are outrageous.

It is obvious from the Op that many poor people are NOT finding healthy cheap food.

This can be for many reasons:
> they don't have time/car/gas to shop around to different supermarkets to find the cheapest food they can
> Their local market carries mainly frozen items with a few pitiful groceries
> Farmer's market is too far away/open when they're at work/or pricey
> They may not know how to prepare meals from fresh ingredients
> They may not have the time to cook meals - if they have kids, a couple jobs, commuting by bus, sick relatives, whatever
> When you have hungry kids, feeding them the dollar menu from the local fast food store can just be the easiest thing to do.
> they don't like oatmeal, lentils, etc

Being poor is TIRING, folks. We've posted on that before. Cheap calories are easy calories.

And oddly - those of you who think poor people should just find more nutritious foods at a cheaper rate - are you advocating a massive outreach educational program to reach people? Remember my article about nurses going into the tenements in the late 1800s/1900s and how that helped reduce child mortality?

If we set up visiting nutritionists to go to the house of people on SNAP or other food programs, to work with them on shopping and feeding the family - I bet that would make a difference. Are you all willing to fund that?

Remember, people get hit with messages from advertising all over the place - just eat a Subway sandwich! Get a burger from Burger King! you'll be just like all the pretty people who are eating here! And look! A cheap Pizza Hut pan pizza! Stretch your food dollar!

Where are the ads educating all of us - not just poor people - on how to eat healthy? I know having the calories of foods on fast food menus has made a difference for me; I rarely go to fast food places, but the last time I did, seeing the calories on the burger made me NOT get any fries. And yet look how that simple change was fought!

SF, do you have a family? Do you take a bus to work? Do you work a couple part time jobs? If not, you don't know what it's like trying to get everyone fed cheaply and on time.

Total lack of empathy. And a total lack of solutions.

LMAO... for dispelling a myth? Ok Darla...

It took about 5 seconds to pull up that article. It is not hard. People who pretend it is because healthy food is expensive are simply either buying into a myth or they are idiots. Educating others on the fact that the myth is just that should be something you encourage... not mock. But you are a condescending person who could care less about the well being of others. You just want to talk down to people. Well... as always... go fuck yourself.

ROFLMAO... I am not congratulating myself you ignorant twit. I am interested in dispelling that stupid fucking myth whenever someone spews it forth.

Now you go to tell some sob story about how someone simply doesn't have the time to eat healthy... Which is completely different than saying they can't afford it. You want to continue making excuses for them, because that will allow you to continue looking down on them.

1) You don't have to cook lettuce or most veggies. You can eat them fresh.
2) Oatmeal can be ready in less time than it takes to walk in and order a big mac.

Quit making up bullshit excuses.

Oh, so now we have another bullshit excuse????

Now it is because they want something that supposedly 'tastes' better because their lives suck so bad? Like I said, you are simply interested in looking down on them. You are not interested in helping them.

Don't eat that fast food crap for a month... eat healthy instead, then go back and have a big mac... tell me how great that fucking thing tastes to you then.

It is you that needs to shut the fuck up with your bullshit excuses.

Don't you find it interesting that someone who's never been poor (Darla) and who admits to having a "privileged life", knows everything about being poor. :palm:

That part is very true. I paid last week $6.50 for a box of cereal at the corner market two blocks from me that costs between $4 - $5 at Safeway and $3 at Walmart.

Excuse me, cereal??? You bought cereal???

I hope to God it was Kashi - the only Superfreak approved breakfast cereal!

If not you should be eating a bannana and oatmeal for breakfast! Unless you are one of those fat AMericans costing Superfreak money! He is going to have you fat fucks whipped soon you know! And I don't mean the fun way!

Excuse me, cereal??? You bought cereal???

I hope to God it was Kashi - the only Superfreak approved breakfast cereal!

If not you should be eating a bannana and oatmeal for breakfast! Unless you are one of those fat AMericans costing Superfreak money! He is going to have you fat fucks whipped soon you know! And I don't mean the fun way!

And none of that "instant" oatmeal shit. Steel cut only!

i sort of admire, very slightly, how darla is able to care about other people. she doesn't seem to be fake about it. like she actually cares about poor peoples well being. that is weird.

but she's coming from the right place, so that's good.

but man, weird. i could never do that.

But that's only as long as she can have her $15 martinis, when she could have had a glass of water and given those $15 to some homeless person. :palm:

Let me give you some Pittsburgh examples of prices of things I buy regularly. I want to shop where the article author shops. Maybe she researched around the country for lowest prices possible and used them as her measure. I can get some of her prices some of the time if the item is on sale, but could never get all the items all the time at those low prices. And you mentioned protein powder in another response. My son buys it and it's over $40 can, how is that considered cheap?

Canned salmon, $3.99 and up.

Chicken breasts, $7.99 and up for a 3# bag.

Apples, $2.99# and up. I got some Honeycrisp the other day that were $3.99 and it translated to 3 apples.

Bananas, $0.67# and up.

Grapes, $2.49#

Romaine lettuce, $2.99#

Carrots, $1.29#

Sweet potatoes, $0.99#

Broccoli, $2.99/bunch

Whole-grain pasta $1.79#

a box of pasta will feed a family of 4. don't know why you are acting like that's expensive. really under 2 dollars is expensive?

Let me give you some Pittsburgh examples of prices of things I buy regularly. I want to shop where the article author shops. Maybe she researched around the country for lowest prices possible and used them as her measure. I can get some of her prices some of the time if the item is on sale, but could never get all the items all the time at those low prices. And you mentioned protein powder in another response. My son buys it and it's over $40 can, how is that considered cheap?

Apples, $2.99# and up. I got some Honeycrisp the other day that were $3.99 and it translated to 3 apples.

Bananas, $0.67# and up.

Grapes, $2.49#

Romaine lettuce, $2.99#

Carrots, $1.29#

Sweet potatoes, $0.99#

Broccoli, $2.99/bunch

Whole-grain pasta $1.79#

Quick response on the protein powder question... note to Darla, I am answering her question... not congratulating myself...

You can buy a container of protein lean protein powder for about $70 that provides about 57 servings. So about $1.22 per serving, which contains 34 grams of protein, no sugar, low cholesterol, low carbs. Compare that to a Big Mac.

http://www.nlnutrition.net/muscle-development/lean-pro-matrix

You can eat to live or live to eat. Or find some level in between the two extremes. Too many people like Darla want to take the easy way out and eat whatever they want (apparently at expensive restaurants, because she is modest like that) and then whine about rising health care costs and the poor not being able to afford health care, not to mention the only happiness the poor have is that Big Mac.

Not sure how big of a can that is, size matters Christie...

So $8 for 3 pounds? A serving is about 1/3 pound? Lets call it a half pound... six servings would be $1.33 per serving. Compare that to a Big Mac... what does that cost in Pitt?

Ok... you are getting reamed on apples... so that is not a good buy for you.

Bananas, $0.67# and up.

So... how many pounds do you eat at a time? 1/3? Not expensive.

Grapes, $2.49#

Again, used as she describes and that is still cheap, though obviously fruit is more expensive in Pitt.

Romaine lettuce, $2.99#

Carrots, $1.29#

Sweet potatoes, $0.99#

All of which are cheap by the serving... Cause I am pretty sure you aren't eating them a pound at a time.

Broccoli, $2.99/bunch

Whole-grain pasta $1.79#

Still cheap, but yes, cost of living will be higher in different areas of the country.

But thanks for proving that even in Pitt you can eat healthy on the cheap.

It is obvious from the Op that many poor people are NOT finding healthy cheap food.

This can be for many reasons:
> they don't have time/car/gas to shop around to different supermarkets to find the cheapest food they can
> Their local market carries mainly frozen items with a few pitiful groceries
> Farmer's market is too far away/open when they're at work/or pricey
> They may not know how to prepare meals from fresh ingredients
> They may not have the time to cook meals - if they have kids, a couple jobs, commuting by bus, sick relatives, whatever
> When you have hungry kids, feeding them the dollar menu from the local fast food store can just be the easiest thing to do.
> they don't like oatmeal, lentils, etc

Being poor is TIRING, folks. We've posted on that before. Cheap calories are easy calories.

And oddly - those of you who think poor people should just find more nutritious foods at a cheaper rate - are you advocating a massive outreach educational program to reach people? Remember my article about nurses going into the tenements in the late 1800s/1900s and how that helped reduce child mortality?

If we set up visiting nutritionists to go to the house of people on SNAP or other food programs, to work with them on shopping and feeding the family - I bet that would make a difference. Are you all willing to fund that?

Remember, people get hit with messages from advertising all over the place - just eat a Subway sandwich! Get a burger from Burger King! you'll be just like all the pretty people who are eating here! And look! A cheap Pizza Hut pan pizza! Stretch your food dollar!

Where are the ads educating all of us - not just poor people - on how to eat healthy? I know having the calories of foods on fast food menus has made a difference for me; I rarely go to fast food places, but the last time I did, seeing the calories on the burger made me NOT get any fries. And yet look how that simple change was fought!

SF, do you have a family? Do you take a bus to work? Do you work a couple part time jobs? If not, you don't know what it's like trying to get everyone fed cheaply and on time.

Total lack of empathy. And a total lack of solutions.

What's not liking it, got anything to do with it?
If you won't eat it, just because you don't like it, then you're not hungry.

Quick response on the protein powder question... note to Darla, I am answering her question... not congratulating myself...

You can buy a container of protein lean protein powder for about $70 that provides about 57 servings. So about $1.22 per serving, which contains 34 grams of protein, no sugar, low cholesterol, low carbs. Compare that to a Big Mac.

You can eat to live or live to eat. Or find some level in between the two extremes. Too many people like Darla want to take the easy way out and eat whatever they want (apparently at expensive restaurants, because she is modest like that) and then whine about rising health care costs and the poor not being able to afford health care, not to mention the only happiness the poor have is that Big Mac.

Rice and beans.
Nothing wrong with rice and beans.

Thanks Doctor!

Hey, if I don't have 70 dollars at any one particular time because I make minimum wage or slightly above and have kids and live paycheck to paycheck, but I do have five bucks for the 99 cent menu, what should I do?

Back