states where the most people go hungry

Quick response on the protein powder question... note to Darla, I am answering her question... not congratulating myself...

You can buy a container of protein lean protein powder for about $70 that provides about 57 servings. So about $1.22 per serving, which contains 34 grams of protein, no sugar, low cholesterol, low carbs. Compare that to a Big Mac.

http://www.nlnutrition.net/muscle-development/lean-pro-matrix

You can eat to live or live to eat. Or find some level in between the two extremes. Too many people like Darla want to take the easy way out and eat whatever they want (apparently at expensive restaurants, because she is modest like that) and then whine about rising health care costs and the poor not being able to afford health care, not to mention the only happiness the poor have is that Big Mac.

Thing is, I'm not comparing wholesome foods with fast food; I think a Big Mac is okay for the occasional treat, not the daily lunch. My contention is that it's hard to be poor and feed a family with the kind of foods that satisfy and promote good health. I looked up a statistic from the USDA that says the average family of four is spending somewhere between $544 to $1235 per month for food eaten at home; they further broke it down into 4 plans: Thrifty, low-cost, moderate, and liberal. So for a poor family of four this translates to $136 week. That's 28 meals and breaks down to less than $5/meal. You can't eat a fast-food meal for $5 unless you order from the kids' menu.

People need protein in their diets and protein isn't cheap. You said a can of protein powder costs about $70; that's more than half the poor family's weekly food budget. In any case nutritionists say you shouldn't depend on supplements to get your RDA and protein powder's a supplement. It's better to get that protein from foods such as meat, and good meat's not cheap.

People can eat cheap but what are they actually eating? Hot dogs, spaghetti, iceberg lettuce, white bread, ramen noodles... stuff that's not ranked very highly on any food pyramid.

We do agree that people should learn good nutritional habits and not rely on junk food as a steady diet; I just don't think it's that easy when you're poor and trying to make it. Look at the big price disparities on that website you posted v. what I posted from this week's grocery fliers here in PA. It's not as easy as you make it sound.

a box of pasta will feed a family of 4. don't know why you are acting like that's expensive. really under 2 dollars is expensive?

No, it's not expensive but I was challenging the author's food prices v. the prices I see in our local stores. Sure people can eat spaghetti but they have to put sauce on it and hopefully a little meat in the sauce to make it a balanced entree.

Thing is, I'm not comparing wholesome foods with fast food; I think a Big Mac is okay for the occasional treat, not the daily lunch. My contention is that it's hard to be poor and feed a family with the kind of foods that satisfy and promote good health. I looked up a statistic from the USDA that says the average family of four is spending somewhere between $544 to $1235 per month for food eaten at home; they further broke it down into 4 plans: Thrifty, low-cost, moderate, and liberal. So for a poor family of four this translates to $136 week. That's 28 meals and breaks down to less than $5/meal. You can't eat a fast-food meal for $5 unless you order from the kids' menu.

People need protein in their diets and protein isn't cheap. You said a can of protein powder costs about $70; that's more than half the poor family's weekly food budget. In any case nutritionists say you shouldn't depend on supplements to get your RDA and protein powder's a supplement. It's better to get that protein from foods such as meat, and good meat's not cheap.

People can eat cheap but what are they actually eating? Hot dogs, spaghetti, iceberg lettuce, white bread, ramen noodles... stuff that's not ranked very highly on any food pyramid.

We do agree that people should learn good nutritional habits and not rely on junk food as a steady diet; I just don't think it's that easy when you're poor and trying to make it. Look at the big price disparities on that website you posted v. what I posted from this week's grocery fliers here in PA. It's not as easy as you make it sound.

It's easy for rich white dudes! You sound bitter,lonely and pretty fucking miserable!

No, it's not expensive but I was challenging the author's food prices v. the prices I see in our local stores. Sure people can eat spaghetti but they have to put sauce on it and hopefully a little meat in the sauce to make it a balanced entree.

In Grind's defense it wasn't that long ago he was rushed to the hospital because his intestines literally exploded in revolt against his carb only diet.

So to him eating a box of pasta a day and nothing else is perfectly sensible.

Quite odd, that with all the hungry and starving people all over the US that the left-wing msm don't report about it every day....don't they think
its worth the effort to let everyone know about all this hunger and starvation...especially when they can blame it on Republicans....or more
likely GWBush personally....man, what an opportunity they're missing....
Throw in Cheney and Halliburton, Rumsfeld and the military establishment,....then add 'the rich' and 'greedy corporations'.....
don't you wonder why they are so quiet about this disaster.......

Quite odd, that with all the hungry and starving people all over the US that the left-wing msm don't report about it every day....don't they think
its worth the effort to let everyone know about all this hunger and starvation...especially when they can blame it on Republicans....or more
likely GWBush personally....man, what an opportunity they're missing....
Throw in Cheney and Halliburton, Rumsfeld and the military establishment,....then add 'the rich' and 'greedy corporations'.....
don't you wonder why they are so quiet about this disaster.......

Maybe you aren't listening.

Don't think the protein source matters all that much - but agree with therest of this
Food is expensive - decent food, and then having to prepare it too.

Prices flucuate, to be able to go to different stores take time and money too. None of this is easy, then this is assuming the people actually want healthy foodstuff.
It's a fulltime thought on how to aquire decent food and eat healthy - if you have chidren even moreo.

Wonder why our country has an obesity problem? Just look around at the cheaper foods, they are usully higher in calorie, or lower in nutrition, or both.

given she clearly stated where her prices were coming from and that costs vary by location, what exactly were you challenging?

Thanks Doctor!

Hey, if I don't have 70 dollars at any one particular time because I make minimum wage or slightly above and have kids and live paycheck to paycheck, but I do have five bucks for the 99 cent menu, what should I do?

LMAO...

1) They sell in smaller sizes
2) Yeah, go eat that 99 cent menu and then whine and bitch when your obesity causes you all sorts of health issues.

You may not be comparing them to fast food, but others were, which is why I provided the article to begin with. I never said it was as 'easy' as running into McDonalds, but time wise you can eat healthy and not spend much more time than going into a fast food place.

As for the protein, there are a wide range of sources. You are using the American mentality to pinpoint meat as a 'better' place to get the protein. Chicken breasts (as you showed) are cheap and have protein. Eggs are cheap. Beans are a great source of protein.

You point to food that is not necessarily good for you as things the 'poor' would have to buy. That again is false.

Back