The 2012 NCAA Football season has begun!!

I think LSU will give us a good game, they come in riding a 22-game home winning streak, and they've had this one circled in red on the calendar since January. I think the Tide wins in the closest game we'll have this year.

We still have a lot to get done before talking BCS NCG, but should we get there, I wouldn't mind facing Notre Dame over Oregon, I think it would be a much better game.

I think LSU will give us a good game, they come in riding a 22-game home winning streak, and they've had this one circled in red on the calendar since January. I think the Tide wins in the closest game we'll have this year.

We still have a lot to get done before talking BCS NCG, but should we get there, I wouldn't mind facing Notre Dame over Oregon, I think it would be a much better game.

I am actually more confident since we are playing in Baton Rouge. We have a better record of beating them at their place than ours.

If the Ducks beat 'Bama, I might even be tempted to boast about it.

Quote for the day:

"Seriously, who can beat Alabama?

Is it LSU? Can LSU really beat this well-oiled machine with Zach Mettenberger at quarterback? Forget beating Alabama—can LSU even compete? Well, it looks like the Tigers are the only team left that might have a chance.

Honestly, Alabama is just on a whole different level right now. It's almost unfair, really."

from: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ngs-we-learned-about-the-sec-in-week-9/page/3

Bama is looking good, if could beat them it would be the Ducks, but Bama is looking good.

My Wildcats are still doing well, they looked sluggish yesterday, but still won.

K State scares me more than Oregon. K State doesn't make mistakes very often and can score easily. Oregon is more likely to make mistakes that Alabama can exploit.

K State scares me more than Oregon. K State doesn't make mistakes very often and can score easily. Oregon is more likely to make mistakes that Alabama can exploit.

I am not talking the Wildcats up too much! Hoping we continue to play well! Thanks for talking my team up!

I think K-State vs Oregon would be a phenomenal game to watch. I don't think either could compete with Bama this year, the way they are playing. Again, Bama has sputtered at times, 3-and-outs, burned on the deep pass, missed sack opportunities, PENALTIES! But they have managed to get the job done by the 4th quarter, and left no question as to who was the best team on the field. It's possible a "perfect storm" scenario could put them behind early against a really good team, and they could be defeated, but short of that, I don't see it happening.

Lots of football left to play, and a Marcus Lattimore reminds us, injuries can happen in the blink of an eye and change everything. A.J. McCarron has taken a beating this year, and he still has this last stretch of tough SEC teams to beat. That worries me more than anything, can he hold up? I like both our backup QB's, but let's face it, McCarron runs our offense, and we may struggle without him. Couple all this with the fact of how difficult it is to run the table in the SEC or repeat as National Champions, and it makes me very nervous.

Does anyone doubt that if there are five undefeated teams at the end of the season and one of them is Notre Dame, that Notre Dame will be in the championship game? Conversely say Oregon goes undefeated and Bama loses to LSU but wins the SEC west and the SEC championship game and Notre Dame loses to USC does anyone doubt Notre Dame will play in the NCG?

I think K-State vs Oregon would be a phenomenal game to watch. I don't think either could compete with Bama this year, the way they are playing. Again, Bama has sputtered at times, 3-and-outs, burned on the deep pass, missed sack opportunities, PENALTIES! But they have managed to get the job done by the 4th quarter, and left no question as to who was the best team on the field. It's possible a "perfect storm" scenario could put them behind early against a really good team, and they could be defeated, but short of that, I don't see it happening.

Lots of football left to play, and a Marcus Lattimore reminds us, injuries can happen in the blink of an eye and change everything. A.J. McCarron has taken a beating this year, and he still has this last stretch of tough SEC teams to beat. That worries me more than anything, can he hold up? I like both our backup QB's, but let's face it, McCarron runs our offense, and we may struggle without him. Couple all this with the fact of how difficult it is to run the table in the SEC or repeat as National Champions, and it makes me very nervous.
I don't think it matters. If Notre Dame goes undefeated they'll be in the NCG. If there are no undefeated teams or if tere's only 1 one undefeated team and a bunch of 1 loss teams and ND is one of them, they'll again be in the NCG. I have no doubt about that and I don't say that as an ND fan but as a cynic.They will do there best to stack the deck so that ND will be in the NCG whether they belong there or not.

Does anyone doubt that if there are five undefeated teams at the end of the season and one of them is Notre Dame, that Notre Dame will be in the championship game? Conversely say Oregon goes undefeated and Bama loses to LSU but wins the SEC west and the SEC championship game and Notre Dame loses to USC does anyone doubt Notre Dame will play in the NCG?

If there is any way possible, ND will be in the championship game.

I agree. ND will get favored over all other undefeated teams if it comes down to that. But you can't really say they haven't played a tough schedule. The one thing that bothers me about ND, as well as conferences like the Big 12, they don't have to play that conference championship game, and I think that should really be more of a factor than it is, in making the determination. Of course, that might have meant Alabama wouldn't have gone last year, since LSU played the CC game... but that's my take on it. I think you ought to have to play for your conference title, to qualify, and sooner or later, I think that's what we'll see happen. How that would affect ND and the other inidies, I don't know, maybe they can establish a 'faux' championship game between the leading independent and some at-large team? Ideally, I would like to see the conference champions in a playoff, but that may be a while.

I agree. ND will get favored over all other undefeated teams if it comes down to that. But you can't really say they haven't played a tough schedule. The one thing that bothers me about ND, as well as conferences like the Big 12, they don't have to play that conference championship game, and I think that should really be more of a factor than it is, in making the determination. Of course, that might have meant Alabama wouldn't have gone last year, since LSU played the CC game... but that's my take on it. I think you ought to have to play for your conference title, to qualify, and sooner or later, I think that's what we'll see happen. How that would affect ND and the other inidies, I don't know, maybe they can establish a 'faux' championship game between the leading independent and some at-large team? Ideally, I would like to see the conference champions in a playoff, but that may be a while.
Do we start the +4 tournament next season or the season after?

Well three's no special rule in place for ND in the new 4 team playoff. A selection comittee will determine who the top 4 teams are at the end of the season. The factors the committee will consider are won-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results and whether a team is a conference champion. Obviously the last factor works against ND in that if they have comparable records by the first three criteria but they lost out by not winning a conference championship. so if for example there are no undefeated teams and 6 one loss teams and ND is one of the one loss teams they would probably lose out the other 5 teams, assuming they are conference champions. This means about the only way ND could get into the 4 game tournament is to go undefeated. Considering most of the SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, Big 12 and ACC champions have no more than 1 loss, that pretty much locks out ND unless they go undefeated. At least you would think. My guess is that if at the end of any season there are 6 one loss teams and ND is one of them they will get the nod with out having played in a conference championship game. In other words, that will be ND's unfair advantage.

Now that ND has joined the ACC, it's only a small matter of time until the football team also joins. Then you can all quit your bitching about conference championships. Personally, I don't see why ND can't continue to play special games, appear around the world, and still play a full ACC schedule. They'll just have to cut back. Hell, playing the Sooners used to be an annual spectacle, which they inexplicably gave up for 50 years...

Back