The most useless university degrees

I'm retired military then airlines. Never worked as a psychologist or with State, the CIA or other government agency, which was Plan C after the military if Plan B didn't work out. Plan B worked out for almost 28 years.

So you had one, maybe two useless degrees. I've been employed in my field since after my third semester in college, 42 years ago. I was working 70 hours/ week in my career, on campus, starting two weeks before my last final. I went from having $200 in the bank and living in a dorm to making $1400/ week plus a hotel room plus per diem. I've scored a job offer from every interview that I've ever had, and started my own company 25 years ago. I'll sell it when I retire.

I sure to hope to the gods that when I'm as old and senile as Boob, and reliving my childhood, I'm a lot more pleasant to be around. Have it all planned out. Already told my youngest that when I'm ancient and most of my marbles have been lost, I'm coming to live with her. I'll be like her when she was a tot... I'll poop on her couch and dance naked in the front yard. lol

Let's hope so! In Bob's case, there appears to be a natural disposition to hate. He's selfish and bitter which makes him radioactive for everyone around him so they avoid him, bitch about him and dislike him which, in turn, must makes him more selfish and bitter. It's a vicious cycle.

His behavior on this forum as among the most aberrant; both obsessive and hateful. Not a good end for anyone.

He'll die a bitter asshole and most people will be relieved he's gone.

So you had one, maybe two useless degrees. I've been employed in my field since after my third semester in college, 42 years ago. I was working 70 hours/ week in my career, on campus, starting two weeks before my last final. I went from having $200 in the bank and living in a dorm to making $1400/ week plus a hotel room plus per diem. I've scored a job offer from every interview that I've ever had, and started my own company 25 years ago. I'll sell it when I retire.

LOL. Wrong, but I can see why you think like Bob.

Y'all just don't like Bob because you disagree with his politics. Just admit that and move on instead of making excuses and personal attacks.

Explain how you used your BA degree in your work.

First, that's not what you said. You advocated that a degree is useless. You're wrong, but it helps me to understand your strictly linear and limited thinking. All education is good because it's not just what is learned that is important but the mastering of learning that is critical to success.

In flying, a private pilot's certificate is often called "a license to learn". Same goes for any completed program of learning. Obtaining an accredited degree requires meeting a levels of criteria and the will to complete that program of learning. This is why "college degree required" shows up on a lot of management requirements. Sure, some degrees may take on more importance over others depending on the job, but not always.

Second, I continued to read and apply my knowledge of behavioral sciences in both my careers and in my life....including forums.

Lastly, like the mistake Bob made, you are assuming that unless a degree can be monetized, it's worthless. I strongly disagree since the synergistic effect of higher education on a person's personality is tangible. A person who stops learning is only treading water. You are advocating higher learning but only as a means to a profitable end. I'm advocating higher learning to be a better person and that a better person will find a richer, more profitable life.

Money is important, but it's not the key to happiness or a valid measure of a well led life. Example: Paris Hilton and Don Trump Jr.

First, that's not what you said. You advocated that a degree is useless. You're wrong, but it helps me to understand your strictly linear and limited thinking. All education is good because it's not just what is learned that is important but the mastering of learning that is critical to success.

In flying, a private pilot's certificate is often called "a license to learn". Same goes for any completed program of learning. Obtaining an accredited degree requires meeting a levels of criteria and the will to complete that program of learning. This is why "college degree required" shows up on a lot of management requirements. Sure, some degrees may take on more importance over others depending on the job, but not always.

Second, I continued to read and apply my knowledge of behavioral sciences in both my careers and in my life....including forums.

Lastly, like the mistake Bob made, you are assuming that unless a degree can be monetized, it's worthless. I strongly disagree since the synergistic effect of higher education on a person's personality is tangible. A person who stops learning is only treading water. You are advocating higher learning but only as a means to a profitable end. I'm advocating higher learning to be a better person and that a better person will find a richer, more profitable life.

Money is important, but it's not the key to happiness or a valid measure of a well led life. Example: Paris Hilton and Don Trump Jr.

The topic here is useless degrees. If you didn't use your degree, then it's useless.

Narrow, linear thinking.

I suppose that China Joe would call Mr. Owl's BS in industrial engineering "useless" as well, since he only worked in manufacturing for a brief couple of years after graduation. He then began taking computer/software engineering courses on his own, while moving to that IT environment for a large health insurance corporation. He also has a masters in finance/economics, which has little to do with the 31 years he spent working as a systems architect/software engineer.

My daughter-in-law has a BS in industrial engineering as well, yet works as an on-line math instructor.

Yep, pretty "useless." lol

The topic here is useless degrees. If you didn't use your degree, then it's useless.

That is not what I read him to say. He said "I continued to read and apply my knowledge of behavioral sciences in both my careers."

If you actually went to college, then you know college is first and foremost about self-improvement: critical thinking skills, writing and communication skills, social networking, etc.

That is not what I read him to say. He said "I continued to read and apply my knowledge of behavioral sciences in both my careers."

If you actually went to college, then you know college is first and foremost about self-improvement: critical thinking skills, writing and communication skills, social networking, etc.

Agreed. Both Bob and China are arguing strictly from a worker bee perspective on how to make the most honey. You and I appear to agree that education is it's own reward. Ergo, no "useless degrees". The only people who think that are those who are strictly focused upon monetization of their education like a good worker bee gathering pollen.

I'd love to see a survey of the Capitol Insurrections to see if they think Education is it's own reward or it they only think in narrow terms of making money.

I suppose that China Joe would call Mr. Owl's BS in industrial engineering "useless" as well, since he only worked in manufacturing for a brief couple of years after graduation. He then began taking computer/software engineering courses on his own, while moving to that IT environment for a large health insurance corporation. He also has a masters in finance/economics, which has little to do with the 31 years he spent working as a systems architect/software engineer.

My daughter-in-law has a BS in industrial engineering as well, yet works as an on-line math instructor.

We have vocational schools for people who simply want to get trained for a job.

We could just turn college engineering degrees into vocational schools if it were just about job training. But we make even engineering undergrads at accredited universities take a slew of humanities, English composition, and liberal arts electives because it is universally understood that college is about self improvement as much as it is about job training

Human behavior can be learned by simple observations over time, and at a very young age. Same with critical thinking and social skills- you don't have to pay for an expensive college education to learn any of that.

Writing and reading comprehension is taught in grade schools- part of the mandatory curriculum. Since you question my college education apparently you didn't do too well in those classes.

Wrong, for the aforementioned reasons. Nice try though; keep chasing those windmills...

Human behavior can be learned by simple observations over time, and at a very young age. Same with critical thinking and social skills- you don't have to pay for an expensive college education to learn any of that.

Writing and reading comprehension is taught in grade schools- part of the mandatory curriculum. Since you question my college education apparently you didn't do too well in those classes.

If you actually went to college, then you were forced to take humanities, liberal arts, English composition electives to earn a bachelor's degree. Because it is universally understood there is value in self improvement, a well rounded education, and that even engineering majors can benefit from exposure to humanities and liberal arts curriculum.

If you actually went to college, then you were forced to take humanities, liberal arts, English composition electives to earn a bachelor's degree. Because it is universally understood there is value in self improvement, a well rounded education, and that even engineering majors can benefit from exposure to humanities and liberal arts curriculum.

Liberal arts is another useless major.

Liberal arts is another useless major.

I am starting to question if you even went to college, since you seem unaware that every undergraduate program at an accredited American university requires engineering students to get reasonably broad exposure to humanities, English, and liberal arts electives to earn a degree. And the engineering programs themselves obviously see a value is students getting broad educational exposure to humanities classes

Back