What is the driving force of Islamic Jihad

Sure, but how important is it? Many Christians don't emphasize that at all. Many Christians take it to mean that anyone who "comes to the father" -- who lives a righteous life and is therefore "saved" -- has known Jesus, whether consciously or no.
Then they honestly don't read the verses in context. It is pretty straightforward.

Umm Didn't constantine take care of that by standardizing the bible several hundred years later. The early Christain church was very much in turmoil for hundreds of years.
Yet you would use only the parts you want to see to "prove" he was solely a Jew rather than take what is presented in context.

Umm Damo, Preachers trained in a Christian seminary have told me Christ was a Jew, sorry but I will take their word over yours....
Isn't the definition of a Christian "A follower of Christ"

Umm Damo, Preachers trained in a Christian seminary have told me Christ was a Jew, sorry but I will take their word over yours....
Isn't the definition of a Christian "A follower of Christ"
He was a Jew, but he was also more. My point was he went beyond and extended those teachings. If he had not there would be no difference between the two religions currently.

Then they honestly don't read the verses in context. It is pretty straightforward.
Oh, you're jumping into the "who's a real Christian" game? No thanks: I'll pass. So many Christians disagree with you -- Unitarians and many Methodists, right off -- that I prefer to simply dismiss your assertion. It is NOT straightforward. Not if disagreement on such a fundamental point can continue to this day. Prima facie evidence.

:p

Oh, you're jumping into the "who's a real Christian" game? No thanks: I'll pass. So many Christians disagree with you -- Unitarians and many Methodists, right off -- that I prefer to simply dismiss your assertion. It is NOT straightforward. Not if disagreement on such a fundamental point can continue to this day. Prima facie evidence.

:p
I am not. I am reading it as an outsider. Read the verses. Or shall I provide them? They are pretty straightforward, as I stated.

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[f] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.[g] 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."[h]

I will bold the passages that are part of that. For those who want to look them up, go to Bible Gatway and seek John Chapter 3.

That is pretty straightforward and part of the exact same teachings.

Much like anybody saying, "If I'm a good person I'll be saved" are only from a group that hasn't read, "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Saying that it isn't necessary to believe this portion is from a group who plays the pick and choose game.

From this I can tell you that if the Bible is correct then I am condemned regardless of how good a person I am because I do not believe that Christ was God.

Sure, but how important is it? Many Christians don't emphasize that at all. Many Christians take it to mean that anyone who "comes to the father" -- who lives a righteous life and is therefore "saved" -- has known Jesus, whether consciously or no.

This is true. Many christians have become noahides, according to plan. They were getting too much flack for getting hung up on this jesus guy.

I will bold the passages that are part of that. For those who want to look them up, go to Bible Gatway and seek John Chapter 3.

That is pretty straightforward and part of the exact same teachings.

Much like anybody saying, "If I'm a good person I'll be saved" are only from a group that hasn't read, "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Saying that it isn't necessary to believe this portion is from a group who plays the pick and choose game.

From this I can tell you that if the Bible is correct then I am condemned regardless of how good a person I am because I do not believe that Christ was God.
If I truly believed that yours was the only possible interpretation of the creed -- not just this passage but the enchilada -- then I would conclude, without hesitation, that Christianity is inherently evil and should be destroyed. No joke. Nuke the Vatican and start firebombing full churches, 'cause these people are vermin.

Fortunately, I happen to believe your taking of these verses, in a particular translation and out of context, is misleading. ;)

Well if I believed in heaven or hell I would be worried about being damned.
That is logically consistent. :)

I really don't believe that Christianity has to be the hateful, ignorant, woman-hating, baby-crushing monolith that so many Americans try to make it. The simple fact that so many decent, liberal churches even exist in the face of such narrow, didactic pronouncements as Damo's makes it clear to me that some Christians really do think. They don't get hung up on individual verses, each of them subject to semantic noise and interference over two milenia of re-transimission and translation. Rather, they look at the whole of Jesus' teaching and try to evaluate what is consistent and what is not.

Agreed Ornot. There are many good genuine thinking Christians out there.
Unfortuantely they by nature are not as vocal as the asshole Christians.

If I truly believed that yours was the only possible interpretation of the creed -- not just this passage but the enchilada -- then I would conclude, without hesitation, that Christianity is inherently evil and should be destroyed. No joke. Nuke the Vatican and start firebombing full churches, 'cause these people are vermin.

Fortunately, I happen to believe your taking of these verses, in a particular translation and out of context, is misleading. ;)
They are not out of context. I gave the entire fricking chapter practically...

But whatever floats your boat. It's not like I'm trying to convert you or something.

That is logically consistent. :)

I really don't believe that Christianity has to be the hateful, ignorant, woman-hating, baby-crushing monolith that so many Americans try to make it. The simple fact that so many decent, liberal churches even exist in the face of such narrow, didactic pronouncements as Damo's makes it clear to me that some Christians really do think. They don't get hung up on individual verses, each of them subject to semantic noise and interference over two milenia of re-transimission and translation. Rather, they look at the whole of Jesus' teaching and try to evaluate what is consistent and what is not.
Man, you are really thick. I am not a christian. I am not pronouncing any of this.

Man, you are really thick. I am not a christian. I am not pronouncing any of this.
I know you're not a Christian but you are making pronouncements about who else is and is not. You've taken one particular set of verses from John, pronounced them pivotal, and implied that those Christians who disagree with your personal interpretation of said verses are fundamentally in error. You have effectively dismissed all Unitarians and a lot of other Christians as inferior, simply because they don't see Nicodemus as you do.

And yes, you have taken them out of context. Out of the larger context of the entire New Testament, that is.

Many try to assert that Jesus excluded gentiles (non-Jews) from his ministry. From Mark, you can get this impression. Yet most Christian scholars say that Mark is misinterpreted in this regard. Similarly, many Christians cannot believe that the Good Samaritan would have been damned.

Back