What Song Are You Listening To, Right Now?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvCvsRp5ho&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvCvsRp5ho&feature=related[/ame]

Yesterday was the first day of the new parliament and it was all change. With around 250 new MPs it was inevitably likened, by the press, to "the first day at a new school". The new lot fumbled around Westminster in a directional daze, only briefly coming to their senses when the adrenalin kicked in as they fled from senior MPs intent on flushing their heads down the Commons toilet and dishing out wedgies.

Under the watchful eye of the Speaker, David Camerons lot and Nick Cleggs lot all swapped seats with the Labour lot. David Camerons painstakingly carved "Dave + Nick 4 eva" surrounded by a big love heart into the despatch box. Nick Cleggs, the new deputy PM, added "100% true" underneath in black marker pen. Jealous Labour types, their hearts broken by the dashing Mr Cleggs, smiled sickly sweet smiles while calling Mr Cleggs "a slag" behind his back.

bully.jpg

The new MP for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport falls foul of a gang of Junior Transport Ministers.

They're all back today to be sworn in, taking an oath to her majesty Queen Elizabeth II: The Smell of Fear. With 650 of the buggers to do that's a hell of a lot of oathing.

"Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts" - Arctic Monkeys

So with South Korea accusing North Korea of sinking its ships, a fresh day of demonstrations in Greece and the Euro about to blow itself up into a thousand billion cents, what is dominating the news today? Yes, that's right it is the news that the London 2012 Olympic mascots have been unveiled. Huzzah!

I'm not sure who dreams these things up. Although this year the 'designers' have decided to break from the traditional animal/cute human based motif, opting for a long thin thing, wide at the base with coloured vein-like things running through it, sporting a single eye at the head. I can't think where the inspiration for that came from.

Behold!

The-2012-Olympic-and-Para-005.jpg

The word mascot is derived from the Latin for 'pointless yet expensive exercise'

They are called "Mandeville and Wenlock". Aside from sounding like a pair of vaguely homosexual James bond villains, i can't see why they didn't just go the whole hog and call them Kodos and Kang. They are meant to "invoke the spirit of the games" which, if you mean they are pointless, rather expensive and will be forgotten about within months of the closing ceremony, is certainly achievable.

I suppose they aren't as bad as some previous mascots, say, for example, that sneaker wearing blue sperm sticking to the running track in Atlanta or the novelty dildos cobbled together by Athens. However, they are not fit to lick the canine genitalia of Herr Waldi, the multi-coloured Dachshund aus Munchen.

"...And We Exhale And Roll Our Eyes In Unison" - Los Campesinos!

So with South Korea accusing North Korea of sinking its ships, a fresh day of demonstrations in Greece and the Euro about to blow itself up into a thousand billion cents, what is dominating the news today? Yes, that's right it is the news that the London 2012 Olympic mascots have been unveiled. Huzzah!

I'm not sure who dreams these things up. Although this year the 'designers' have decided to break from the traditional animal/cute human based motif, opting for a long thin thing, wide at the base with coloured vein-like things running through it, sporting a single eye at the head. I can't think where the inspiration for that came from.

Behold!

The-2012-Olympic-and-Para-005.jpg

The word mascot is derived from the Latin for 'pointless yet expensive exercise'

They are called "Mandeville and Wenlock". Aside from sounding like a pair of vaguely homosexual James bond villains, i can't see why they didn't just go the whole hog and call them Kodos and Kang. They are meant to "invoke the spirit of the games" which, if you mean they are pointless, rather expensive and will be forgotten about within months of the closing ceremony, is certainly achievable.

I suppose they aren't as bad as some previous mascots, say, for example, that sneaker wearing blue sperm sticking to the running track in Atlanta or the novelty dildos cobbled together by Athens. However, they are not fit to lick the canine genitalia of Herr Waldi, the multi-coloured Dachshund aus Munchen.

"...And We Exhale And Roll Our Eyes In Unison" - Los Campesinos!
Don't blame me! I voted for Kang!

Back