College football starts in 7 weeks!!

I'm not sure why he doesn't realize that's exactly what he's doing....
Well, except the ones from West Point or Annapolis...
I just let him rant when he gets "like this"....

You are being an asshole here.

I have never said nor come close to intimating the "every" or "all" bullshit being spewed.

Okay...so you guys being assholes...

...and that is to be expected because for the most part, you guys are assholes...

...and I guess it is not especially neighborly to call that to your attention...

...but it is fun to do so.

Relax, guy. You have been badmouthing college football because of your inaccurate info on the intellect of players since you came into this thread.

And your comment "Your Alma Mater, Alabama...has players who can barely read...and who do math (arithmetic, actually) counting on their fingers" was certainly a cheap shot based on your own issues with athletes.

My mistake. You didn't say all. But you certainly think enough players are doing to make college football a problem.

Fuck you very much for telling me what I "certainly think."

I did not say "all"...I did not insinuate all...I did not say "many"...

...what I did say was that many colleges have essentially become farm clubs for the NFL...and that "student athlete" should have meaning beyond "farm club."

Let's be reminded:
"BUT... until players from some of the contending schools can match intelligence tests with players from (for instance) West Point or Annapolis...the idea of a "national college champion" is farce.

Frankly, I think the issue of academic standing SHOULD play a part...with independent intelligence testing of all players who get significant playing time...and a requirement that a school be at or above the 50 percentile to qualify for the championship and/or bowl games.

Colleges have become farm teams for the NFL...and the NFL has enough money to afford farm teams if that if that is what they want."

Relax, guy. You have been badmouthing college football because of your inaccurate info on the intellect of players since you came into this thread.

And your comment "Your Alma Mater, Alabama...has players who can barely read...and who do math (arithmetic, actually) counting on their fingers" was certainly a cheap shot based on your own issues with athletes.

My mistake. You didn't say all. But you certainly think enough players are doing to make college football a problem.

Oh...I DID NOT BAD MOUTH COLLEGE FOOTBALL EITHER!

I indicated that I enjoy it...and will watch many games.

Are YOU able to read?

You are being an asshole here.

I have never said nor come close to intimating the "every" or "all" bullshit being spewed.

Okay...so you guys being assholes...

...and that is to be expected because for the most part, you guys are assholes...

...and I guess it is not especially neighborly to call that to your attention...

...but it is fun to do so.

I admitted I was wrong. And now I am being the asshole?

BTW, when you said "Your Alma Mater, Alabama...has players who can barely read...and who do math (arithmetic, actually) counting on their fingers" did you KNOW something or were you just making shit up? Please show any evidence you have that Alabama players can barely read or do math on their fingers? Any player in say the last 5 years? Maybe the last 10 years? Can you?

Or do you just spout nonsense about young men busting their ass for something? And you have the audacity to call us assholes?

But here is the thing. This is the Sports forum. We are here talking about the beginning of the college football season. Then you come in talking trash about how the intellect is low (obviously you meant in only SOME players - ;) ). You are trolling the thread, and then get all pissy when we call you on it? LMAO!! I find that hilarious!

Let's be reminded:
"BUT... until players from some of the contending schools can match intelligence tests with players from (for instance) West Point or Annapolis...the idea of a "national college champion" is farce.

Frankly, I think the issue of academic standing SHOULD play a part...with independent intelligence testing of all players who get significant playing time...and a requirement that a school be at or above the 50 percentile to qualify for the championship and/or bowl games.

Colleges have become farm teams for the NFL...and the NFL has enough money to afford farm teams if that if that is what they want."

Yeah...and that makes sense...and does not lead to some of the bullshit that has been said about it.

BUT I do not hold it against any of you...because obviously some of you have reading comprehension problems...and there is that "you guys are assholes" problem thingy.

His posts are usually a bit eccentric...but I'm really don't know where he's coming with this latest rant. It's kind of sad to even imagine that anyone actually thinks like that....
I going to suggest he watch Blind Side. Or maybe Rudy. Or Remember The Titans (I met their coach, btw, this year) or perhaps We Are Marshall...
or The Express..
Hey...Knute Rockne, All American...
Now I'm really in the mood of football season....
You are using movies as examples, that’s priceless, yeah, movies never use poetic license. Yes, atheletes must make the grade, but there is a lot of fudging that goes on to help athletes make the grade, easy classes, paying someone to do homework, write papers, etc. Schools have been caught helping athletes cheat and have paid the price.

Oh...I DID NOT BAD MOUTH COLLEGE FOOTBALL EITHER!

I indicated that I enjoy it...and will watch many games.

Are YOU able to read?

YOu also have trouble admitting you are wrong.

You said "If there is going to be a College champion...I would like it to be among people who actually go to college or an education rather than as a farm club for the NFL...or other pro sports".

I just showed you that the University of Alabama football teams takes academics seriously and that they are ALL actually going to college and getting an education.

Yeah...and that makes sense...and does not lead to some of the bullshit that has been said about it.

BUT I do not hold it against any of you...because obviously some of you have reading comprehension problems...and there is that "you guys are assholes" problem thingy.

Really? I posted a link showing the entire 2010 recruiting class for the UA football team graduated. Did you apologize or back off your "Your Alma Mater, Alabama...has players who can barely read...and who do math (arithmetic, actually) counting on their fingers"?? Noooo. YOu can't admit you were wrong, can you?

You are using movies as examples, that’s priceless, yeah, movies never use poetic license. Yes, atheletes must make the grade, but there is a lot of fudging that goes on to help athletes make the grade, easy classes, paying someone to do homework, write papers, etc. Schools have been caught helping athletes cheat and have paid the price.
Relax...I'm joking around with Frank and the movies...
Schools have been caught helping the entire student population cheat to pass tests. Schools have passed kids who have failed everything and missed weeks of school... It's not even necessary to go in "that" direction.
Where's your "knowledge" of all the accusations that you're making coming from, anyway? Let me guess... the same links that Frank's posted?
You've taught? Coached? Worked with athletic programs in a university setting?

YOu also have trouble admitting you are wrong.

You said "If there is going to be a College champion...I would like it to be among people who actually go to college or an education rather than as a farm club for the NFL...or other pro sports".

I just showed you that the University of Alabama football teams takes academics seriously and that they are ALL actually going to college and getting an education.

I have no problem admitting (acknowledging) being wrong. I could furnish you with links to at least a dozen times where I have done so...in very intense arguments over contentious issues...here and in other fora.

But I am not wrong here. The fact that YOU want to make inappropriate extensions of my remarks...to say stuff I never said...is the bullshit.

I don't give a shit that Alabama "takes academics" seriously. Frankly, I would not trust any football factory making claims in that direction...although I am happy that people like Sabin...as with Schiano when he was a Rutgers...make attempts to keep the "academics" in college sports enterprises.

So...suck on it.

K?

Really? I posted a link showing the entire 2010 recruiting class for the UA football team graduated. Did you apologize or back off your "Your Alma Mater, Alabama...has players who can barely read...and who do math (arithmetic, actually) counting on their fingers"?? Noooo. YOu can't admit you were wrong, can you?

Wow...the entire of one class graduated...and that negates what I have said!!!!

I think I will end this with you by extending an enthusiastic...FUCK YOU to you and your Alma Mater. The "tide" on the west coast of Florida right now is crimson as hell...and stinks like dead fish.

Coincidence?

I think not.

I have no problem admitting (acknowledging) being wrong. I could furnish you with links to at least a dozen times where I have done so...in very intense arguments over contentious issues...here and in other fora.

But I am not wrong here. The fact that YOU want to make inappropriate extensions of my remarks...to say stuff I never said...is the bullshit.

I don't give a shit that Alabama "takes academics" seriously. Frankly, I would not trust any football factory making claims in that direction...although I am happy that people like Sabin...as with Schiano when he was a Rutgers...make attempts to keep the "academics" in college sports enterprises.

So...suck on it.

K?

LMAO!!

Right. YOu are happy that Saban is doing the right thing, but you don't give a shit that Alabama takes academics seriously.

BTW, did you come up with any actual evidence to back your claim that Alabama has players who can barely read and do math (arithmetic) on their fingers?

And I am not sucking on anything. I will continue to discuss sports here. Mainly I will continue to discuss college football. If you want to keep spouting nonsense, without any evidence, that is on you. It is always worth a chuckle or two.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping to see my Crimson Tide win a 6th Natty in 10 years. So, contrary to what you may think, the school that works to keep the athletes working on academics, has won over half of the National Championships in the last 9 years. Not too shabby. You said you wanted to see championships won by teams of students who are actually concerned about school, you have had that opportunity 5 times in 9 years.

I think I will end this with you by extending an enthusiastic...FUCK YOU to you and your Alma Mater. The "tide" on the west coast of Florida right now is crimson as hell...and stinks like dead fish.

Coincidence?

I think not.

Oh, so algae bloom and college football are the same? Okey dokey then.

100% of one class. The other classes had high percentages of graduations. Actually higher than the national average for all students (not just athletes).

Another link showed Alabama scoring very high in multi-year academics.

Any luck on the evidence for your claim about the Alabama players barely being able to read?

Coincidence?

I think not.

YOu are getting way too bent out of shape. Getting called out strike a nerve?

Oh, so algae bloom and college football are the same? Okey dokey then.

100% of one class. The other classes had high percentages of graduations. Actually higher than the national average for all students (not just athletes).

Another link showed Alabama scoring very high in multi-year academics.

Any luck on the evidence for your claim about the Alabama players barely being able to read?

Just your posts, WB.

Did you play?

Relax...I'm joking around with Frank and the movies...
Schools have been caught helping the entire student population cheat to pass tests. Schools have passed kids who have failed everything and missed weeks of school... It's not even necessary to go in "that" direction.
Where's your "knowledge" of all the accusations that you're making coming from, anyway? Let me guess... the same links that Frank's posted?
You've taught? Coached? Worked with athletic programs in a university setting?
Lol, no you weren’t joking, you called him eccentric and his post a rant. I was a college student with athletic friends. It also happened in high school. My brother in law was involved with college athletic programs for over 30 years. He told many stories regarding this subject matter. Sports programs are vital to colleges and universities and outstanding athletes make those programs suscessful, but some of those athletes struggle with acedemics.

YOu are getting way too bent out of shape. Getting called out strike a nerve?

What I am doing, Asshole...is breaking your balls.

None of this matters in the least to me. I consider it an opportunity to discuss a subject I enjoy...and to break the stones of someone who just does not know when to let a lure go.

One of the guys I golf with is a nationally known college (and high school) football rankings expert.

He thinks glowingly of the Tide.

Last edited:
Lol, no you weren’t joking, you called him eccentric and his post a rant. I was a college student with athletic friends. It also happened in high school. My brother in law was involved with college athletic programs for over 30 years. He told many stories regarding this subject matter. Sports programs are vital to colleges and universities and outstanding athletes make those programs suscessful, but some of those athletes struggle with acedemics.

More than "struggle" Phantasmal. Some of the Florida schools use athletes who are just not college material. But "basket weaving" and "snorkeling" can soothe many a savage beast. (And boost a GPA to a needed level.)

I joke with Frank all the time....he is eccentric and his post was rant, though...but you're entitled to your opinion, of course...
So, you admit...you really aren't directly involved with any of these programs-so really your info is second hand. ..But you certainly are entitled, once again, to express the opinions that you have.
(Most schools have tutors/training tables, etc. for their athletic programs, at all levels...It's tough to be a full time student and athlete even if you excel academically. Just saying, although I'm sure you're aware....)

Back