Consumers have made the switch to electric vehicles

It is interesting that rightys who hate EVs presume to speak for buyers. We have had 4 EVs in our family. The reason we bought was environmental. Everyone I know who bought them was essentially for the same reason. We care about the air, land, and water. We get caring about gas prices and stopping to fill up out of our lives as a bonus.

The energy secretary is finding out the problems with EV

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/...granholm-ev-road-trip-gone-bad-americans-need

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/10/1187...s-charging-energy-secretary-jennifer-granholm

The popularity of EVs keeps growing:

Tesla plans to install 20,000 electric vehicle charging stations across 2,000 Hilton properties in the U.S., Mexico and Canada beginning next year, the companies said Thursday.
For Tesla, the buildout of wall connectors is another way to increase mass adoption by offering more convenient charging locations. The company's Universal Wall Connector can charge any North American vehicle model, not just Tesla vehicles. For Hilton, it's about meeting demand from leisure and business travelers.
"We're seeing a rapid and steep increase in the number of requests for EV charging. We're trying to meet our guests' needs with this new agreement with Tesla," Matt Schuyler, Hilton's chief brand officer, told CNBC.

Enjoy your stay while you charge your stupid car. I'll just stay on the road and be in the next State by the time your car is charged.

A Department of Energy report shows that electric cars are less costly to maintain, confirming similar reports.
Yet another biased report. Meh. They are not less costly to maintain.
“Electric and electrified powertrains have lower maintenance and repair costs than internal combustion engine (ICE) powertrains for all vehicle sizes, relative to vehicle price,” the DOE’s Argonne National Laboratory said (PDF) in a report.
Another biased report. Meh.
Pure electric vehicles, or BEVs, fared the best.

The reduction in maintenance cost per mile for HEVs, PHEVs, and BEVs as compared to ICEVs were 7%, 11%, and 41%, respectively, the report said.

For example, for items such as engine engine oil and transmission service, BEVs had zero costs because of the inherent difference in the power train.
ICE cars generally don't need transmission service. They're pretty reliable. EV transmissions are pretty reliable as well, with a couple of recall exceptions concerning Tesla.
Obviously, you can't afford 30 minutes out of a year to change engine oil. Probably because you blew all your money and time on an EV.
(HEV refers to Hybrid Electric Vehicles, PHEV to Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles and BEV to Battery Electric Vehicles, aka, pure EVs. ICE refers to Internal Combustion Engine or gas cars.)

The cars covered by the report include Tesla Model 3, Model S, Toyota Prius Prime, Chevy Volt and Bolt, Nissan Leaf, BMW i3, and VW Golf and e-Golf, among others.
Meh.
This reflects findings from Consumer Reports showing “big savings” for EVs over traditional gas cars.
The 'findings' are just biased reports. There are no big savings for EVs over gasoline cars. Indeed, EVs cost more to maintain due to the requirement of the use of specialized tools and shops (dealer only repair and maintenance).

I don't have to install special circuits in my house for an EV.
I don't have to worry about recharging almost every day.
I can fix my own car myself with common tools. You can't.
I can use cheaper tires, cheaper brakes, and cheaper shocks. EVs must use more expensive tires, brakes and shocks, due to their excessive weight.
My car uses about half the energy of an EV.
My car handles better than an EV.
My car can tow. Most EVs can't.
I don't have to worry about my car catching fire just sitting there. EV owners do.
I can haul a shitload of stuff hundreds of miles without refueling. EVs can't.
I can buy two or even three brand new gasoline cars for the price of ONE EV.

Last edited:
Cost of electricity vs. gasoline

Here’s where EV owners win out. Going electric means you get to skip pricey trips to the pump, which is one of the biggest draws for making the switch. A 2018 study by the University of Michigan’s Transportation Research Institute found that the average cost to fuel an electric car was $485 a year, compared to $1,117 for a gas-powered vehicle. A 2020 Consumer Reports study similarly showed that EV drivers tend to spend about 60 percent less each year on fuel costs compared to drivers of gas-powered cars.

tenor.gif
Kamala-Harris-GIF.gif

More made up numbers.

That does not include looking for a gas station with the price you want. Finding a pump and then standing in the snow filling your tank. Then the lovely smell of gas on your hands.

I don't get gas on my hands. I put it in the tank.
The nearest gas pump is within walking distance. Wow. That was hard to find it!
I don't have to stand in the snow to pump gas. Oh...EVs are horrible in freezing conditions because of reduced range and possible damage to the battery pack from road salts and ice chunks.

This is so true. Why would anybody want to carry around gallons of very flammable liquid in their car.
It's safer than an EV battery pack, lighter than an EV battery pack, and contains more energy than an EV battery pack.
If you're in a car accident, there's a chance you could die in a massive fiery explosion. What a horrible way to go.
Even more so with an EV, dumbass.
Gas stations are fire-prone areas, that’s a fact, there is no argument about it!
Charging stations are fire-prone areas, that's a fact, there is no argument about it!
According to the National Fire Protection Association, every year more than 5000 gas station fires are reported in the US.
These fires cause plenty of damage.
Talking in numbers, on an average, gas station fires cause 48 civilian injuries, 2 civilian deaths, and $20 million in property damage every year.
There a lot more gas stations than charging stations too.
Not possible in an EV.
BULLSHIT! Charger fires are pretty common!

Every year the world runs more and more on batteries.
Electric vehicles passed 10% of global vehicle sales in 2022, and they’re on track to reach 30% by the end of this decade.

The transition will require lots of batteries—and better and cheaper ones.

Most EVs today are powered by lithium-ion batteries, a decades-old technology that’s also used in laptops and cell phones. All those years of development have helped push prices down and improve performance, so today’s EVs are approaching the price of gas-powered cars and can go for hundreds of miles between charges. Lithium-ion batteries are also finding new applications, including electricity storage on the grid that can help balance out intermittent renewable power sources like wind and solar.

Poor MAGA morons. Their EV bullshit isn't sticking.

Blatant lies. I can buy two or even three gasoline cars for the price of one EV!
Less than 1% of the cars on the road are EVs.

I never met anyone who had to replace the batteries.
It usually means the car is totaled. It's not worth it to replace the batteries.
I know a few who had to replace engines though.
Only in very old cars.
And replace transmissions.
Only in very old cars.
Of course mufflers, air filters and those kinds of things too. Those costs are real.
Only in very old cars.

I had to replace the transmission on my old ICE car few years back. Costed me $4k.

I've had my Tesla Model Y for three years and the only thing I had to fix was the power window button. Tesla fixed it for free. They even came to my house to fix it.

No wonder everybody's buying EVs.

LyinBitch soils diapers.

Not everybody is buying EVs. Less than 1% of the cars on the road are EVs.

LOL!!! Don't get your panties all in a wad, MAGA moron.

Current Climate: Electric Vehicle Sales Keep Going Up

If it feels like you’re seeing more and more electric cars on the road, you’re not wrong. According to a report from the Energy Information Administration, electric cars comprised nearly 7% of all light-duty vehicle sales in the second quarter of 2023. Hybrid sales are also up, and combined those two classes of care accounted for 16% of total light-duty sales in that quarter. That’s about three times what those sales were just 5 years ago.

“A large portion of the sales increase was due to new manufacturer offerings across different market segments, although existing models also accounted for some of the increase in sales,” the report reads. “Manufacturers reduced the number of non-hybrid internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicle models from 318 to 297 between 2021 and 2Q23, and they increased the number of battery-electric models from 34 to 55.”

flea.gif

Less then 1% of the cars on the road are EVs.

Why would it bother you so much if the article turned out to be true? What's your problem with new technology?

Every year, more and more EVs are being sold than the prior year. Every major car manufacturer now makes EV models. Look at the difference from just five years ago.
You can't deny the trend towards EVs. They aren't going away. Every year, they will continue to replace the old gas vehicles because they're clearly superior to gas.

Why does that bother you so much?

EVs are not new technology. Ford and Toyota are getting out of EVs. They are losing money on them.
Less than 1% of the cars on the road are EVs.

It is interesting that rightys who hate EVs presume to speak for buyers. We have had 4 EVs in our family. The reason we bought was environmental. Everyone I know who bought them was essentially for the same reason. We care about the air, land, and water. We get caring about gas prices and stopping to fill up out of our lives as a bonus.

Lithium and cobalt mining are not environmentally sound. You obviously don't care about the land, air, or water. EVs use about twice the energy of a gasoline car.

That was a secondary reason for me. I have friends who bought Teslas a few years back before the big EV surge. They raved about the performance, simplicity and about the fact that they pay zero to recharge. Of course, that's changed now. But they took me for rides in their EVs and I was sold.
Gas cars just can't match the performance of EVs. The instant torque is incredible. And they are so much easier to maintain. There are so many things better about an EV over a gas car, it's too many to mention. Now my wife and my two kids want EVs.
I'll never buy another gas car...ever.

EV handling sucks due to the heavy battery.

Lithium ion batteries are solid state.

Lithium hexafluorophosphate (LiPF6) is a lithium salt solution which is the most common electrolyte in lithium batteries,

Lithium Sulphur technology is a potential replacement but there are some serious obstacles to be overcome, poor ionic transport within sulphur cathodes is just one such problem. If and when they are improved enough to become true solid state batteries then lithium ion will become obsolete.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41...lid-state battery (Li-,vehicles and drones1,2.

Last edited:
Lithium hexafluorophosphate (LiPF6) is a lithium salt solution which is the most common electrolyte in lithium batteries,

https://www.motortrend.com/features/ev-battery-improvements-technology/

Lithium Sulphur technology is a potential replacement but there are some serious obstacles to be overcome, poor ionic transport within sulphur cathodes is just one such problem. If and when they are improved enough to become true solid state batteries then lithium ion will become obsolete.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41...lid-state battery (Li-,vehicles and drones1,2.

How EV Batteries Will Get Better Even Without a Major Breakthrough

There will come a time when electric cars will routinely offer in the high hundreds of miles of range from batteries that last for decades and recharge even quicker than you can fill a tank of gasoline. Plenty of scientists around the globe are working tirelessly to make that sort of next-generation performance a reality.

Although solid-state has the potential to revolutionize the EV world, today's humble lithium-ion battery and its various derivatives, like LFP, still have a long way to go. "I think there's always room for growth," ONE's Ijaz said. "If you look backwards and think about the year-over-year improvement, it's something like 6 percent year over year, on average, that batteries have improved and materials have been evolving. So I think by no means are we done."
And there are, of course, bigger steps on the horizon.
Ijaz points to fresh research into something called multi-electron conversion, which relies on the same fundamental battery design as today but dramatically changes the chemical reactions within. "Those chemistries are typically much higher in energy density because you're getting more than one electron per ion," Ijaz said. More electrons from the same size battery delivering the same number of ions would mean double or triple the range and output from packs no larger or heavier than today's.

Who would want a EV with lithium ion batteries when newer solid state batteries become common?

Will the Porsche 911 also go electric?

Porsche execs understand that the time may come for a fully-electric 911, but they don’t want to go messing with a 60-year old icon just yet. Expect hybridisation options, but the job of pioneering a fully electric Porsche sports car will fall to the 718 successor.
Lutz Meschke, deputy chairman of Porsche AG, said: ‘In the sports car segment we have to think about the pure electric car. With the 911 it will be a bit difficult, but for the 718 I think it could be a very good step for the future, on a completely new platform we can then discuss to share with other brands.’

Serendipshit wets panties.

Why would it bother you so much if the article turned out to be true? What's your problem with new technology?

Every year, more and more EVs are being sold than the prior year. Every major car manufacturer now makes EV models. Look at the difference from just five years ago.
You can't deny the trend towards EVs. They aren't going away. Every year, they will continue to replace the old gas vehicles because they're clearly superior to gas.

Why does that bother you so much?

It wouldn't bother me if it were true, what bothers me are folks who should know better pretending that it says something it doesn't. When reality doesn't mesh with the article, when those who produce the vehicles are losing money, it becomes clear that it is propaganda. Pointing out reality is not something that you should hate. Avoiding information is remaining deliberately ignorant.

I want EVs to work, I want them to work well. However folks are afraid of getting stranded, as they've seen CEOs of Ford do... Folks don't want to stand there for over a half hour to "fill up" their car... Folks want a car that won't strand them in the winter because the batteries aren't as efficient in the cold... Folks want a vehicle that can pull as much as their truck can currently pull and that the battery can last as long as the fill up does.

When EVs can do all these things I am sure they will be very popular. Until then what we have are vehicles that are still losing money for manufacturers.

Back